Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thepit.com

I just would like to know what the general concensous is in here of thepit.com and if anyone here is a member...how well have/are you doing?

Comments

• Options
    Loki23,

First off, welcome to the boards! Now to the question at hand. I have never had the pleasure (or pain, as the case may be) to use thepit.com. It has never been something that has piqued my interest. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I have some stuff on there but I've never sent them any cards or ever purchased any... I have thought about it though. I usually check there and ebay to get an idea of prices. Seems there are a lot people that use it though I would imagine the response on this board isn't going to be very high since the vast majority of people on here collect vintage and the pit seems to cater more toward the modern collectors. Though I could be wrong.
  • Options
    on the pit, my collection currently consists of:

1 - 89 Ken Griffey Jr. Fleer PSA 8
    1 - 89 Ken Griffey Jr. Fleer PSA 9
    1 - 89 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck BGS 9
    2 - Baseballs (I know) Signed by Sebastian Telfair offered by Topps only on thepit

what do you all think? Let me know
  • Options
    I have had a few bad experiences with it.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    its like wipin your butt with sandpaper.... you might it end up with what ya want....but it just aint going to feel right.....

loth
  • Options

<< <i>its like wipin your butt with sandpaper.... you might it end up with what ya want....but it just aint going to feel right..... >>

Interesting...
  • Options
    I have been using the pit for the past 2 years and I admit I am down a little bit overall. Several of the cards that I bought a couple years ago have dropped a lot such as some Maddux rcs, frank thomas leaf rcs, and sosa rcs. The one advantage of the pit is that it is an instant sale and prices move very drastically with news of a player. I remember last football season when Tim Couch was named the starting QB for the first game, this SP signature PSA 10 jumped from around 30-50, I had around 10 at the time and sold them all right away.

I remember watching Adam Dunn's cards take a big jump the first 2 weeks of the season and making a good profit from those as well. It all depends what you like but it is a solid advantage of having the quick sale aspect as opposed to ebay where you have to list auctions. For the most part ebay and pit prices are fairly similar but you can find good deals on the pit compared to ebay. I heard of someone making a decent ammount of money each month just from buying cards from the pit and then selling them on ebay for a profit, I don't know how much he made though but I think that is tough because of all the fees.

If you pick the right players to invest in you can make some good money but it seems like the value of the graded cards continue to drop from year to year as more cards enter the market and supply increases.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    agree
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    It's not bad if you only intend to buy, hold, sell cards on site without ever having them sent to you. Large shipping fees kick in if you actually want to hold the cards you bought. The hurt is less, the more cards you have shipped at one time.

One good thing as a seller is that you won't get hammered by a fluke lowball bid. On the downside, you won't enjoy any auctions where two bidders get out of control and push your item into orbit.

All in all, it feels a bit weird and disorienting, sorta like "eTopps" or some sort of "virtual collecting." I am much more comfortable on eBay and selling across the table. I like to have cards in my possession, whether selling or buying.