Home Q & A Forum
Options

CDn Newsletter

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi again Dave!

What do those silly percentage numbers mean that are on every greysheet? For years PCGS was ahead percentage wise and now NGC is.

It is called the CDN index I think.

What does it all mean anyway? Does CDN even know what they mean? DO they have a pusle on the coin market?

Thanks for your help.

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The CDN "Index" is based on an extremely limited number of very generic coins. They published the list in 1988 or so. The coins include things like a common date Mercury dime in MS65FB, a 1938-D Buffalo nickel in MS63 and MS65, a 1924 Peace dollar in MS63 and MS65, a Liberty mickel in MS and PR63 and MS and PR65, and a $20 Liberty and St. Gaudens in MS63 or MS64 and MS65. I did those examples from memory, but I think they are correct. There's also five of the most commen silver commems, etc. I think you get the picture.

The CDN "Index" is obviously not a reflective of the relative value of coins graded by the grading services as it shows ICG as having the highest "value." A dealer (or two) has been bidding on ICG coins from the CDN list in the CDN listed grades, hence the better supposed value for ICG coins.

The CDN certified Index has no relation to the reality of the marketplace.

Thanks,

David