Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picture thread - ships

I believe somebody was looking for some pictures of ship coins - I finally got some time this weekend and got busy with the camera.

This first one is a bronze penny from Gambia - 1966. It has a couple of spots, but overall it's not bad for a coin that cost me .50!

These next pix are all South African coppers in the ship series (I picked up a dozen of these Friday at the Grapevine show in Texas):

Cecil
Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Nice pickins, Cecil! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the second '55 a proof?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Yes it is - I picked up a set of 1D, 1/2D and 1/4D proof coppers with the same toning. It's only my 3rd or 4th set with this same type of toning on it image
    Cecil
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Oh I love those South African ships!!!!! Good job.
    Shep
  • Options
    I like the '55 1/2d!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    I love all of them, cc. Beautiful coins! image

• Options
    I love the toning on the SA 1/2 d. Beautiful. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Hey Cecil, what type of SA set are you building?? I am working on proof 1/2ds but have aquired many of the 1ds and 1/4ds in the process. I may be able to let go of a few extras if you need them. LMK. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice group of SAs! image

Grapevine show, eh? Do they have a schedule....mebbe I can sneak in sometime.

Sailing, sailing, over the ocean blue!!!

Red skies at night, sailor's delight!! image

• Options
    <<I believe somebody was looking for some pictures of ship coins >> --imageimage

Great fleet, Cecil! I also managed to get "penny" modification of that SA coppers, now I have almost comlete type's fleet (with kindly help of Terry, sure image) of these coppers, which might be only upgraded in a future or some early varities might be added to it.
    N. N.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    What is it, Steve? Looks like I never saw it before image Coin? Or medal?
    N. N.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Coin, US 1920 Pilgrim 50C Commemorative, here's the obverse:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Hey Spinaker - I am working on a complete set of the circulation coppers from 1928 to 1960. I have picked up the proofs simply because I love the toning that they have. I am about 1/3 of the way thru the coppers now!

Mac - I think they are going to have another show starting on July 16th - I need to check my calendar and see. If you want some of the coppers, tho, you will have to get there early on Friday. I got there as the show opened last Friday and cleaned out 3 dealers of thier SA coppers image
    Cecil
  • Options
    O'k Steve, thanks for the info and great pics. Now I identified it image That coin as all other "ship halves" even aren't in my wants, due to their rarity. The only shiphalve I have it si Columbian one 1893.

Could I ask you how much did you pay for that Piligrim? image
    N. N.