Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identify/grade/value 1793 coin :)

Hi all,

My boss brought me this coin to see what it is and what it is worth (if anything lol). I really have no idea as to what it is...I'm thinking a Spanish 8 reale??? Am I right? If not what the heck is it? Also, what do you think it grades and it's approx. value? Thanks a bunch for your help here image

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 2 reales coin from Spain. The grade is probably good at best and the value is probably not that much unless it is a better date. I don't have a Krause in front of me... perhaps $20-25?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    As coinkat said it looks like a Spanish 2 reales, most likely KM430.1.
    Value for this coin in the Krause is: VG-$7; F-$15; VF-$22; XF-$35.

I'd agree that your coin is less than VG. Still cool, though!

-JamminJ

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spain, Madrid mint; crowned "M" mintmark. Two reales, 1793. "MF" mintmaster's initials (for Manuel de Lamas and Francisco Herrera). KM430.1, .903 silver/.1965 ounces ASW.

Second Edition Krause has it at $7.00 VG / $15.00 F / $22.00 VF / $35.00 EF.

I would grade yours at not quite VG; say maybe G+ (G6). According to catalog, then, it's maybe a five-dollar coin at best. But catalog is way too low on this stuff, in my opinion. I would pay more than that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    Have to agree with lordm on the value. I would place it closer to $20/$25.
    knowledge ........ share it