Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps George Bush card?

Does anybody remember a card that Topps put out (i think 1990?) of George H.W. Bush in his Yale University uniform? How was that card distributed? Anybody got one to sell?
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I've seen them, but I don't know how they were distributed. They have the same design as 1990 Topps baseball, and if memory serves there were only 100-ish made. I remember seeing one at the 1998 National for $1000.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen them, but I don't know how they were distributed. They have the same design as 1990 Topps baseball, and if memory serves there were only 100-ish made. I remember seeing one at the 1998 National for $1000.

Joe >>

*ouch*.. i'm not willing to pay a $grand, but I still want one.. i see that there is a PSA 8 in the pop report..

edited to say - PS: Thanks for the info!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I thought they were made specifically for Bush, kind of like the '73 Topps Broadcaster card they made for Joe Garagiola.
  • Options
    That sounds right Steve. I remember hearing that before.

Joe
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I think I read about this in People magazine (of all places). Topps apparently made 100 of the cards specifically for George Bush in 1990. A dealer found one of the cards in a pack. After Topps found out, I think they tried to sue him for possession of stolen property. If that wasn't enough, another guy tried to sue the dealer because the dealer supposedly offered to sell him the card for 15 cents. I don't know what happened in the end but I'm betting the PSA 8 in the pop report is the same card.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Sorry the card is not for sale, but I just wanted to post pictures of the front and back so people would know what the card looks like. I have only seen one copy for sale ever. Good luck! image

imageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card Bob.
    Champs?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Yep, Champs. I prefer them for all my grading needs. image

Actually, I bought this on eBay back in 2000 (or so). Couldn't afford to be picky and wait for George in a PSA or SGC slab. A quick check through google shows them to still be in existence (Link). At the time I bought it, they were not necessarily a "red flag" company.

Bob
  • Options
    Cool card....odd grading company...but then again there popping up everywhere now

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Cool card! Thanks for sharing the picture with us.. ARGHH.. even though i'll probably never own one, I can still wish!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Bob,
    Do you mind sharing with us what you paid for the card?

Joe
  • Options
    and how you obtained it?? image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Champs was a small outfit out of Rhode Island, I believe. They showed up pretty early...not long after SGC, if my memory serves me correctly. They did on-site grading at a local shop a number of years ago, and, as far as I could tell, were legit (inspected carefully for alterations), but we about a full grade easier than PSA or SGC. I believe that they have now disappeared from the face of the earth -- from time to time, you do see some of their cards on eBAY...and I always take a look at them. I think that there may be some good deals inside of their plastic.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    The card cost me $75 on eBay about 4 years ago (the only way I can remember when I bought it is to place it in context of other things that I bought, and I know it was about a year before 2001 Topps Heritage). Card was listed in Beckett (not Standard Catalog) at the time of purchase, but there was still no price listed (lack of sales data). If I remember correctly, there were only two or three bidders.
  • Options
    Nice pickup Bob, that was a steal. It probably would have gone for much more raw, ironically.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>The card cost me $75 on eBay about 4 years ago (the only way I can remember when I bought it is to place it in context of other things that I bought, and I know it was about a year before 2001 Topps Heritage). Card was listed in Beckett (not Standard Catalog) at the time of purchase, but there was still no price listed (lack of sales data). If I remember correctly, there were only two or three bidders. >>

arrgghh!! if you ever want some profit, let me know!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Slightly damaged one just sold on e-bay for $ 2000. Item description purported to recite the distribution "hsitory" of these cards
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

There was another Bush set produced called "Bush League." There were 20-30 cards in thhe set and they were cartoon like. Anyone have any info on these?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    1990 George Bush

This card looks like it's been through a WAR! image
  • Options
    tedh111tedh111 Posts: 258
    I have a freind who is not a collector that has two of them.. Her dad was an elevator operator for toppsfrom the 80's to the 90's. Shes also has some other cool stuff such as 70's and 80's unopened packs... the original pictures that were used to make cards and some other cool stuff.... She is keeping it all for a rainy day.
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that the high bidder for the beat-to-heck Bush card is Keith Olbermann (merkle923). His initial bid was around $1,000 but he must have decided he REALLY wanted the card and jacked it up to at least $2K to hit the reserve. My opinion (FWIW) is that we won't see this card selling for that much quite a while.

If I were your friend, I'd contact the underbidder today and try for a private deal. With the underbidder seemingly willing to pay above $1,000, her rainy day might have just arrived.

Bob
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I would bet that is Olbermann or some other celebrity.

705 feedbacks recieved
    3 left for others.

MODEL EBAYER!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I would bet that is Olbermann or some other celebrity.

705 feedbacks recieved
    3 left for others.

MODEL EBAYER! >>

Unusual buy by olbermann