Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UD EXQUISITE LUCKY ONCE OK BUT TWICE?

Check out this guys pull!! its unreal congrats to him!!

ebay card just in case link doesnt work here is the item #5101436492

Than read this part of his description!
EVEN THE LEBRON JAMES 03/04 SPX SPECTRUM 23/25 RC AUTO/JERSEY SOLD FOR $13,300 I KNOW CAUSE I WAS THE ONE THAT SOLD IT!!

Makes me wonder if upper deck knows where there boxes are being shipped?

Comments

• Options
    Well there are Southern California ties to supplement your theory a little, but I try to stay away from conspiracy theories like that. They sure haven't told me anything special yet, although I'm probably one of the smallest stores they deal with. Sorry Roach, there's one less card for the box you're getting.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    Over 14 grand already - for a pair of patches?!? UD could have at least had both players autograph the card. No thanks ...
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Holy cripes. Unless I'm missing something, this is not auto'd? Scarse yet unreal value on it. Guess timing is everything.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    instead of selling it on ebay, i might be sending it back to UD. the chipping (looks to be chipping on the top and bottom were the patches are) is bad enough, but the corners look horrible. not a good quality card coming from $200+ plus packs of cards. of course, this is only by looking at the scans. maybe the corners and chipping look better in person?? you could have a kobe AND a lebron game used intact jersey, autographed, with authentic game sweat and stench, both for less than what the auction is at now, with 9 days left.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I know there is a jordan lebron 1 of 1 also auto's patch like that. i wonder what that will sell for?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    sorry but private auction=shill bidding! I won't believe anything until I see the proof of the idiot
    who will spend more than 14K on this stupid card. No auto is a joke, this card isn't worth more than a
    few grand.

It wouldn't be beyond UD to start jacking these cards up. This one is CLEARLY not worth that much!

JS
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    But the "1 of 1" is in cursive. How often do you see that? <giant font>NEVER!</giant font>
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    my bad...I totally didn't see that...forget what I said, this card is worth 14K

Sorry
    JS
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I don't follow these modern issues, so here are two dumb questions:

Are these patches taken from game worn jerseys for each player? The packs are $500 each? How many cards do you get?
  • Options
    you could buy an entire game used jersey from both LeBron and Kobe for $14k. guess most modern collectors aren't very intelligent
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    <my bad...I totally didn't see that...forget what I said, this card is worth 14K>

yeah ok <eyeroll>
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shipping Rate: $400.00 (Domestic) >>

I know the insurance will be steep on this card but 400$ is a bit excessive unless the guy is going to hand deliver to your doorstep!

<< <i>guess most modern collectors aren't very intelligent >>

GR
    I don't know about that - but if I pulled the card, I would be glad/dumb enough to sell that sucker to the highest bidder.
    Mike
    edit spelling
    Mike
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Yes and at the rate it is going it will "surpase" all other card sales......
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Wow. Nice pull.

FYI, the Lebron patch is from the "Rookie Photo Shoot" and the Kobe is from a game worn jersey.

And yeah, you could get a game worn jersey from each for less than 15k. I don't think that makes them any more/less intelligent than anyone else. I see your point, but at the same time, for whatever reason, it doesn't hold true these days. (Though I don't disagree with you at all)
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    Save your money and buy Gold bars or Gold coins. This cardboard modern stuff is going to be worth manure when inflation really rock and rolls. You will find this card at a flea market someday for under $10
  • Options
    the day we see this card for 10 is the day we see rings on the fingers of the Red Sox players!

JS
  • Options
    Good. Could you throw in the Cubbies with that offer also?

Do yourself a favor and buy the Gold Bullion for when Gold hits $2,000 per ounce within the next 5 years. Hyperinflation is on it's way courtesy of Alan Greenspan.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think this will ever be a "$10 card", but this is far from the "single greatest card ever pulled". This guy is quite a spin doctor, isn't he?
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    More proof that this release is a joke:

Redemptions in a $500/pack product?!?!?
  • Options
    Wow- that is ridiculous! With UD's wonderful redemption process, you wouldn't probably see that card for a year or so anyway. What a joke that is.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this really bothers me and reminds me why I pretty much stopped buying new cards (save for Topps Heritage). Packs are too expensive and the cards do not hold their value. Just wait until next year's set; another 1 of 1 of this type will probably be produced. Add into the mix the 14,000 varieties of sets that are issued for each sport, each year, with each set having "1 of 1s" and the whole thing gets more and more ridiculous. A 1 of 1 just means nothing to me.

More power to anyone who is making money on new product. A bit too risky for my taste. I will focus on my 70s baseball sets and my favorite pet project, my 1978 KISS Donruss PSA graded set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>guess most modern collectors aren't very intelligent >>

GR
    I don't know about that - but if I pulled the card, I would be glad/dumb enough to sell that sucker to the highest bidder.
    Mike
    edit spelling >>

the reason i say this is because there are (potentially) an infinite number of modern 1/1's. it isn't true scarcity, it's artificially created scarcity. i could fathom spending $15k on a true 1/1 LeBron card, if it's the only 1/1 produced this year. having the only unique card of the next megastar would be a safe investment, because if you sold it, you could name the price. no one else in the world could make the claim that they owned a 1/1 Lebron. the market would be yours to create.

but not this card. its just another example of the latest and greatest "unique" Lebron card. it will sell for big bucks because of the perception that it's his "best" card. but what happens next month, when a new best card is released? it'll follow the same pattern, i.e. selling for a ridiculous amount. this card aint a 1/1, its a 1/20 or 1/30 (i have no idea how many unique LJ cards have been issued thus far). do you honestly think that a few years down the road, there will be 20 or 30 collectors willing to plunk down $10k or more for a card like this? i would say no.
  • Options
    I agree.

However, cards like the dual logo patches will be more desirable. Though will they still command their prices they are getting today... probably not. But, I do think they will hold up much better than a 1/1 base card for example, there is some distinction to be made there.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Junk!

It's stupid sets/cards/packs like this is why I am never going to buy a new pack of anything at any price. First they hack up famus relics now this junk!

Vintage cards all the way, none of this garbage!

• Options

<< <i>do you honestly think that a few years down the road, there will be 20 or 30 collectors willing to plunk down $10k or more for a card like this? i would say no >>

GR
    I agree - I was just messin with you about the intelligence thing - my only point is: if I got the card, I would sell it immediately for the cash explicitly based on your premise. I would love to have some input from a buyer of this high end stuff to see what is on their mind.
    Another point of view - these people have tons of cash and are buying it truly for the distinctness and could care less about resale (investment)!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BAH! Investment is so subjective anyway. image

If I bought the box with the intention of immediately flipping the cards, hoping of course I got a major hit, would it not be an investment still? I am putting my money in it with the hopes of making money. An investment is nothing more than a long term gamble. This is just a short term gamble, albeit a VERY short term one. You may lose, you may win. I will probably break about even with the stuff I ripped and lucky for me I hit a card that will probably pay for a little more than one of the boxes. The other 9 or 10 cards will be needed to pay for the other 2 boxes.

Besides, there are a lot of people buying this stuff up on the secondary market specifically for investments. You wouldn't believe how many emails and pm's I've gotten asking me to trade/sell any/all of my rookie auto'd patches. They are relatively cheap (compared to the percentage of the box) and they are up & comers that just might make an impact.

This thread could get really out of hand, but I think the main thing to keep in perspective is that for the gamblers, this product fills a niche, for the bargain hunters looking to get the best card of a lesser name, or their favorite player, this product provides that as everyone else is looking to buy the lebron/carmelo/jordan stuff. And lastly, the set collectors because there are only 99 complete base sets that can be made and only 225 non-sp base sets. But just because someone doesn't like it, or can't afford it, or doesn't see the point in it, doesn't make it a bad product.

And yes, redemptions in this product are absolutely ridiculous! No question. At least most of the redemptions I've seen have all been Jordan's. I'd be willing to wait a little while for those. image

Disclaimer: I am a rube who purchased a case of this stuff and I did rip it, so my opinion may be perceived as slightly biased.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    At that pack price, redemptions should be reserved for things that you can't physically fit in a pack (such as a full jersey or autographed basketball).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Envoy,

You're the man for taking the plunge and being honest about the results. I plan on doing the same once I get the pack. I keep thinking about different ways to open it. I want to right down the best players on a sheet of paper and then open the pack. Then I will give the paper to my wife and ask her to look through the cards before I do. I will ask her if anyone from the list is in the pack. If she says "No", I know I am close to being screwed, but if she says "yeah", I will proceed with specifics. "What is the card serial numbered to?", or "Is it autographed?". It seems childish, but I need to have some sort of fun with this pack, it cost me $500 for heaven's sake!!

I'm with everyone else here. I am 100% completely gambling in this case. I would have never dreamed of spending this much $$$$ on one pack, but I am looking for a change of luck. One nice Lebron and I cash in. I could pay of a lot of bills with the cash that some nut is willing to pay for a scarce Jordan or Lebron. That is what drives me. Other than that, I could care less.

The way I see it is, no matter how bad the pack, I should still be able to recoup at least 20% of the cost. If it is mediocre, I may even get 75% of my $$$ back. I could afford to lose even 80% of the money I spent in the worst case scenario. But on the other hand, if I pull something pretty nice, I could bring in some tall cash in a hurry. It would be on Ebay faster than an octopus could spank his monkey ( they have a lot of hands, right? ).

One more thing Envoy - I hate to be the one to crap on your sundae, but I may be the only one here that thinks that you will only recoup about half of the $$$ you spent. I think you may only get around $150-$200 topps for the Dr. J jersey. If that. Like someone else said, since it isn't auto'd, that is really going to hurt it. I hope I am wrong. Really. I just can't see a non auto'd jersey selling for big bucks these days. Even if there is only 25. Again, I really hope I am wrong and you could cash in. Sincerely. Let me know what it goes for when you list it.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    geez, for that price you can go out and buy actual FULL game used jerseys... at least of Kobe so far, if these goes any higher you could get LeBron too

damn, seriously.. what a waste of 15 grand for a couple of patches... 1/1?!? The card may be one of one but there are TONS of those patches out there!!!!!!!
    "There is a reason hidden behind everything we do in life" - Me
    "We always strive toward perfection, even though we can never achieve it"
    "Joy wouldn't feel so good if it weren't for Pain."
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    TheRoach - you're telling your wife about who you're getting in the pack and whether they are top players or not? image

Is your doghouse that comfortable?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    just think what it will be worth when Kobe is
    in prison getting "girl-friended" to a big man
    in the joint????

(hey, and the what if Labron went gangsta and
    did time too! That would REALLY help the value
    of this card, huh?!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to be the one to crap on your sundae, but I may be the only one here that thinks that you will only recoup about half of the $$$ you spent. I think you may only get around $150-$200 topps for the Dr. J jersey >>

If I get 150-200 for the Dr J jersey I will be in heaven! I was thinking 50-75, anything over that is a bonus for me. The Wade should pay for a little more than my pack price by itself. The rest, I am hoping, will just recoup the rest of my $$, or close. I have some great trade bait if nothing else.

I am going to scan the bay for closed auctions today and list all of my cards from Exq. I'll see how they've done so far and see how mine compare. I'll post the results when they're in.
  • Options
    Well, this auction is now at $61,723 with about 18.5 hours to go. It will be interesting to see what happens since this auction received so much coverage - even made it on the ESPN.com home page.

By the way, maybe this makes the Babe Ruth 1/1 not look quite so bad at the $20-25,000 range. At least that card contains game-used and autograph items from decades ago, not the last year or so. :-)

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, maybe this makes the Babe Ruth 1/1 not look quite so bad at the $20-25,000 range. At least that card contains game-used and autograph items from decades ago, not the last year or so. :-)

-Bob >>

But you don't understand, this has a CURSIVE 1/1 on it!! image

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>this has a CURSIVE 1/1 on it!! >>

Mike
  • Options
    Oh, cursive you say...now that changes everything! I am going to bid right now!
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, cursive you say...now that changes everything! I am going to bid right now! >>

So, you must be the one that just took it up another $200 to $61,923. Come on, cursive should have been at least a $500 bid. image

-Bob

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    As a final update, this auction ended at $62,100 after 114 bids.

Guess we'll have to wait for the follow-up coverage to see if the sale actually goes through.

-Bob

• Options

<< <i>Guess we'll have to wait for the follow-up coverage to see if the sale actually goes through. >>

Bob
    This is a 1/1 Kobe - Lebron. With the increase in varieties of 1/1's, what will happen to value of this card if a guy pulls a 1/1 Lebron - Kobe?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I don't think its "if", but when...isn't that card listed as being in the set run?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think its "if", but when...isn't that card listed as being in the set run? >>

Here's the 3 All-NBA Access Pass cards from the set:

Kobe Bryant/LeBron James
    Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James/Michael Jordan

By the way, Mike, these are in the order they appear on the card. image

-Bob

• Options
    Kerry Bird admits he's not a big-time collector of anything, let alone sports cards. But the 50 yr. old founder and president of Bayou Fitness in Shreveport, La., believes the $62K he recently paid for the 1/1 UD Exq Bkb LeBron/Kobe will be "an excellent investment" and said he was thrilled with the purchase. Source: July 16th SCD pg. 16.

Dear Mr. Bird,
    I've got this really great investment for you. This swa..ah south Florida land has been willed to me by my grandpappy who, by the way, also left me a really nice Honus Wagner T206 which we can talk about for later. Please let me know real soon as I have been getting hun...ah thousands of emails daily. This is prime land for development and is "an excellent investment!"

signed: Stone D. Wagner
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Yeah...give it ummmmm...1 year.....and nobody will care a bout that card cause there will be ANOTHER EXCLUSIVE GREAT 1/1 INVESTMENT!!!!!!! whatever LOL....a great investment my rear.

loth

that guy has money to pee away...not like he spent hard earned cash on something like that..

• Options
    Kerry Bird is one of the smartest business men I have ever seen. Do you know how many people are going to sign up to workout at his fitness place in Louisiana when the find out that he has the only card in the world with 2 NBA patches glued to it and that he did it as an investment in the business for a mere $62,000.

Where do I sign up?

If I was one of this guys creditors I would be banging down the door to get paid before this guy goes bankrupt in a couple of years because of his investment.

This guy seems to have more money than brains.

Hey Joe Stalin, so do you think this card will be worth the $62,000 a couple of years from now? I would bet if this card is sold within 2-3 years it would not bring more than 10% of what this guy paid.
  • Options
    Ruthfan
    I don't know if you saw the 'insert' article in SCD but he was asked if he planned to use the item as a publicity tool but he said they hadn't fully decided. He ruled out using it in a give-away-promotion tho.
    He stated again, that he bought it because he thought it would be a good investment. For someone not in the hobby or following it, that's taking a big chance with 62K with respect to appreciation. Who knows? I remember when one of the PSA 10 52T Mantles sold back in the early 90's, people thought that was crazy - at that time my thought is like 40 or 50K - of course that wasn't too bad of an investment in a way. I am not an investment oriented person, so I can't debate whether it would be truly better to stay with stock, bonds etc. All we know is that the PSA 10 is worth good money today.
    But this Lebron card is more of a black box.
    I don't know what kind of a businessman Mr. Bird is - I was only havin fun with the idea of this card as an investment, AS SUCH - not as a promo tool. Whether this card would be a true draw and have a 'real' impact on his membership? Would have to see - but I don't think that would move tons of people - but again just a dumb guess. Will the investment impact him negatively with his business? Probably not - if he's a success - this won't affect him too much.
    Only time will tell - sure makes for some fun conversation tho.
    You make some good points.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    62k? LOL
    wtf...
    Lets see, a Escalade or a card....
    Half way to a new House, or a card...
    lol
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    For $62K you could buy 51B Mantle, 51B Mays AND 52T Mantle all in PSA 8. Or a dozen PSA 9 Wilt Chamberlain rookies (if that many exist). But I'm sure this exciting 2004 double patch card is worth more than that boring old crap.
  • Options
    Well here it goes, my opinion on these “patch” cards. I think the whole thing is BS – as in the sales never took place. The auctions and their prices were complete fabrications orchestrated by UD. Nothing adds up – as in when other cards have been pulled – mind you, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington cut autos from Topps there was little publicity; yet these “patch” cards get national media. The only reason anyone would buy this garbage from UD is to gamble. It wouldn’t be much of a gamble if these “patch” cards pulled in the $4,000-$6,000 like they should. No, like a junkie, people something “harder”. Four digits just doesn’t do it anymore, we need $25,000 to $50,000 golden tickets. Since they’re nothing they could put in a BASKETBALL pack that would bring in that much, they artificially created the prices. Furthermore, I might have believed the whole thing if a celebrity or sports player/agent bought the card – someone with a lot of money and doesn’t really care about the “investment” aspect, but a “business man” c’mon, that’s ridiculous. Well if I’m right I’m a genius, if not there may be men in white uniforms knocking on my door to carry me to a place with padded walls.

My two cents,
    Brian
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Ya know, this whole mess started with Willy Wonka and his Golden Tickets.

Except now it's very big bucks, and I hope I don't read that cornholio's theory was true in a future revision of "Card Sharks."