Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GOETZ: Opus 284 The Plebiscite in Upper Silesia

K-284 “THE PLEBISCITE IN UPPER SILESIA (Oberschlesiens Abstimmung). 1921, Cast AE, 60.5mm, 95.70g. Edge Incuse punch

The “Peoples Right of Self-Determination” was flagrantly violated in the plebiscite in Upper Silesia. The plebiscite came out with 717,000 votes for Germany, 433,000 for Poland. The Germans had hoped that this would decide for the remaining Upper Silesia with the Reich. The Versailles Treaty however, provided that now the Allies had to determine the new border. Not only the wish of the people as expressed in the plebiscite had to be taken into account, but also the geographical and economical situation. Important industrial centers as Königshütte and Katowitz were given to Poland. To create a fait accompli, Polish armed guerillas invaded Upper Silesia on May 2nd, 1921. The day following the German Government under Chancelor Fehrenbach resigned under protest.

Obverse inscription “Even the border itself turns against Poland” with the map shown as a stern face. On the reverse “March 20, 1921.” Pole and Harpy whip German eagle sitting on a voting urn with “Upper Silesia” above the eagle and “German Majority” written on the voting urn.

Comments

• oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Man, it's just one mouth waterer after another!! Thanks for the picture and commentary, keep it up.
    Shep
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭
    Shep, I was able to update my web gallery today if you want to take a look. I still have a lot of reimaging of earlier pieces to do yet but I was able to add another twenty-five new pieces to the total. Enjoy.
  • Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I can't believe that you get pictures of the quality that you do on a scanner!!!!!
    Shep
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    I can't believe your pics can get my wife to look at "coins" I know they aren't coins but I'm not telling her that just yet. image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Another Great piece S
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Another nice one!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    An exceptional piece, Scott!! image A rather little-known piece of history. The harpy, btw, is France. France ended up administering a lot of eastern Germany and they did the same thing with Memel. Denmark, the Netherlands, and Belgium also got pieces of German territory, the latter two without plebiscites, even though the former two were uninvaded neutrals.

Another little-known fact is that the Allies forced Germany to keep troops in the Ukraine for years after Versailles in order to help keep the Reds out. After a few years, the German troops simply deserted and returned home.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image