Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Chris Porter joins Lelands

Chris is GREAT guy:

Chris Porter, a recognized expert in sports trading cards and a familiar name in the sports hobby world, is joining Lelands.com to head its trading card division.

“This is a tremendous acquisition for our team,” said Joshua Leland Evans, founder and chairman of Lelands. “Chris is world class in the card world. We feel like the Yankees did when they found A-Rod to play third base. He is going to bring the power of his reputation with his ability to create great opportunities for our consigners and our company.”

Porter, until recently President of Superior Sports Auctions, had announced that he was forming his own business in Traverse City, MI. But when the Lelands opportunity came along, he opted to join the established firm, and to operate from his Michigan base.

“I was ready to go on my own until this arose.” said Porter. “Timing is everything. Lelands has a fantastic niche in the auction world, and I just couldn’t say no!”

Lelands veteran Leighton Sheldon will be based in New York and work with Porter to create a smooth interaction between the New York and Michigan offices. Porter can be reached at (231) 392-6355.

Lelands.com just concluded a $4.7 million auction June 3-4, which included tremendous card lots, highlighted by a rare set of six Kalamazoo Bats cards which brought $22,897, and an unopened box of 1954 Bowman baseball, realizing $34,345.

Major League Baseball has selected Lelands to handle its first ever auction, to be held during the MLB All-Star Game festivities in Houston next month.
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Chris is a good guy. Didn't someone leave Lelands to open "gottahaveit"? I see him on Antique Roadshow from time to time.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    This is great news for the collector. Lelands has suffered from a severe lack of knowledge on baseball cards in particular, and Chris joining them will be a win-win for us AND them.
    Time to rethink that vow never to bid with them again.

edited to add- does anyone have Chris' current email? assume the superior.com one is NG.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    outstanding news.leland's americana selections were excellent and
    they needed Chris for their cards which they seemed to have neglected.
    i wish chris all the best and look forward to lelands next auction!.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    I ditto what PC said. EO
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I heard an internet radio interview with Michael Heffner, President of Lelands last week and he mentioned they needed to get stronger in cards and they were working on bringing a person in..but he did not mention who.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is great news for the collector. Lelands has suffered from a severe lack of knowledge on baseball cards in particular, and Chris joining them will be a win-win for us AND them.
    Time to rethink that vow never to bid with them again. >>

I agree. After the last two auctions, I was about ready to throw in the towel. I'm still waiting for them to call me back regarding the lots I won. I guess spending $10k isn't enough to warrent their attention.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Chris is top notch. Lelands made an excellent hire.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great for Chris. Maybe he can convince them to lower their 17.5% hammer fee. That, with the 8.25% N.Y State tax I have to pay, makes it impossible for me to bid in their auctions!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I agree with Frank. I tend to ignore Lelenad's auctions becuz they are too expensive if you live in NYS.