Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you think of this as a potential PSA special

PSA 5's or below for $5

I have no knowledge of whether PSA has ever considered a special like this, but it's something that I think would be helpful to a lot of vintage card collectors - especially those who focus on oddball or pre-war cards. I'm trying to get feedback in an effort to see if it's worth pushing to PSA.

The point of the special would be that all of your cards would have to grade out at PSA 5 or below to be eligible, but that they could be from any set (PSA could use a Maximum Grade rejection just like they use a Minimum Grade rejection on crossovers).

I believe that there are a lot of lower grade cards from many key sets that would be graded under this special, as well as lower grade cards of key HOFers.

What do you think?

Nick
Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i think its something for PSA to consider.. I have alot of vintage cards I plan to sell raw, because they are low-mid grade, and I dont think its worth me paying $10 each or more to have them graded, but I would send them in if they offered a $5.00 special.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Something I had never thought of, but I like the concept. I agree, it would be a great help for collectors of the real vintage stuff.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a great idea...I give it a hearty imageimage

Steve
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I'd renew my membership for it. I have some low-grade Caramels and Goudeys that are 3-4s at best, but for $5 I'd slab them.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think that is a fine idea image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea! However I don't like the part if your card "grades too high" then they don't slab it.
    This wouldn't be a problem sending in well worn T206's, but w/ mid grade 1950's, it would be hard to
    know exactly what the cutoff is on 5's. I'd hate to send in a bunch of 1950 Bowmans figuring they will
    be all 5's, and then 2/3 are returned as not graded since they would have been 6's. Based on the cards
    returned, I would have spent a fortune on the few that have been graded. And I'm stuck w/ the ones
    that were returned ungraded. And would have to send them back under a different classification, and
    the irony is, due to more handling of the cards, some of the 6's may get graded 5's anyway...jay
  • Options
    I was wondering what would happen under this scenario if you sent in a card, and it graded a 6. Would they not slab it, or would they charge you more to slab it? And, if they charged you more, then would some "sliders" from 5 to 6 occur as a result? I still like it, but the concept might need some work.
  • Options
    CTSOX - If they did slab it and charge you more, then they would have to contact you about sending more $ their way, that would be a hassle for PSA and for the consumer, especially if he had sent in a check and needs to send another one for just a few $...jay
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Good idea, but a number of "what if's" may get in the way. How about something similar to the current $8 set registry special (1960 to date commons), but on select "oddball or pre-war" sets....with no qualifier on the grade. Sets with low or no participation in the registry could be featured for this, and for PSA, would stir up some business down the road by stimulating interest in these sets for grading. Just a thought.

I'd hate to have a card that may be a 6 or 7 end up being a 5. Not that I distrust anyone, but............
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Jay - exactly what I was thinking. Which is why this, while a great idea, may be tough to implement. Maybe it could be called an "off-grade" special, and it would encourage people to submit those cards we all have laying around that we would like in holders, but not for $10, or even $8. Maybe a $4, 45 day turn? No hurry on these cards, right?
  • Options
    CTSOX - That would make more sense.
    You could never have a special that charges for specific grades and penalizes fpr others. The graders, slabbers & the ones that make the flips & seals the cards, do the same work regardless of the outcome of grade...jay
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Well, the idea may need a lot of tweaking, but it does look like we have a fair number who would be interested in a low-price grading special for low-grade vintage cards.

I wonder if there is some good way to deal with Jay's concern at the submission level. Any ideas? How does PSA currently deal with someone who sends in a few star cards on a commons special?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.