Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Here we go..how long before ebay pulls this...

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    sounds like someone bought a trimmed card...ouch

JS
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Does Will aka goodriddance189 know this eBay seller (good_riddance188)? We all know brucemo and his interesting experiments which have been posted here before.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    i know him. and i applaud him doing this. someone needs to get the word out on these BS grading companies
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I've always known about the PRO grading standards being BS and that BCCG was a joke also, but I thought I had seen several members of these boards say they had good results with crossing KSA over. Am I confused, or does KSA really suck also?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My cat Bobo says "if you want to buy PRO KSA or BCCG graded cards, do yourself a favor. Take your wallet full of money, go to the toilet, and flush it down with a smile >>

Mike
    Best post of the month - jerster!!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    I think it's BULL$HIT!! Just don't buy a card from the said mentioned companys, don't bash them!! If this guy is upset with a company, there are other ways to show it. I personally hope the right person sees it and then well see how type happy this guy is.. I don't like a few of the grading companys he mentioned but geez guys were's the tact?? I think it's 100% childish.. I'd even tell him to his face..

Chad
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    again-

yes, people on the boards know to avoid PRO cards. it's common knowledge. but Joe Orlando himself has said that the posters on here make up only 1% the total amt of PSA collectors. that leaves 99% of the collecting public that might not know about PRO's reputation for grading trimmed cards. this is obvious if you look on ebay, because PRO cards still garner a ton of bids. to my knowledge, no one has knowingly bid on a trimmed card. that would be stupid.

and where was the outcry whem samsammy23 made the exact same public service announcement on ebay?
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    So GAI grades two grades higher than PSA? Not from what I've read here.

• Options
    and where was the outcry whem samsammy23 made the exact same public service announcement on ebay

I'll tell him to his face it's BULL$hit also.... You just can't go around saying stuff like this weather it's true or not you can't play judge and jury.. Just my 2 cents..

Chad

• Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    KSA is a good grading company, what the hell are you guys talking about?
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    if not for those nagging accusations of KSA grading trimmed and sheet cut cards, i would have to agree with you
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    On here, we know what's going on, however, the average guy on E-bay has no clue. The market is littered with altered cards in graded slabs. To the unknowing collector, a card looks like it has been authenticated by a 3rd party grader, it can be had for way less than book value, so they think they're getting a deal. By the time the buyer figures out the card is worthless, they have no recourse against the seller, so they innocently (or how they look at it) start the cycle over and resell the card. It is important that people understand that many of these 3rd rate grading companies are not reputable, they do grade fake and/or altered cards, they have low standards for grades they assign, some are small-time operations run from a residence, and the cards in these off-brand slabs have a bad reputation.

While it will be impossible for every collector to learn this, it is important that more and more become aware. The choice to purchase these cards is entirely up to each individual. E-Bay could certainly help this problem by banning the sale of graded cards that are outside of the 5 companies they list as reputable. PSA, SGC, GAI, BGS & SCD. I think it would be reasonable for E-Bay to say that cards graded by other services that E-bay does not recognize should not be allowed to be sold on E-Bay. And the reality is, their failure to enforce their rules at the moment is allowing for the spread of more and more junk onto the market. Say for instance someone had a T-206 Wagner graded by some shady company like PCG or AAA, do you think E-Bay would allow the auction to run or yank it due to questionable authenticity because the grading company that slabbed it is not on their list. It would be shut down, no doubt about it. So, why should it be any different with any other grading company other than the 5 they already support?
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    The Wagner is an obvious example of something eBay would shut down, but I don't think they want to be in the business of checking every sportscard auction to see what slab the card is in. Or of automatically killing every auction that doesn't include PSA, GAI, etc. in its title. Heck, all these PRO and GEM sellers include PSA in their titles anyway, to get included in the keyword searches. I agree with the sentiment, but I don't see how it can be done as a practical matter.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Darn it, I didn't get to see the auction, the guy revised it and ended the auction early.

Hey Goodriddance189... isn't this seller (goodriddance_188) some guy you had a rift with not that long ago? I thought I saw a thread on this, some guy assuming your identity or something to that effect?