Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Hostess

whats the difference is "1975 Hostess" and "1975 Hostess Twinkie" cards?
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The 75 Hostess set was a 150 card set issued in 3 card panels on the back of family-sized Hostess cakes.
    The 75 Hostess Twinkie set was only 60 cards and issued on a limited basis in the far western part of the country. The twinkie set has the same numbers as the regular Hostess set for the first 36 cards, then it is "skip-numbered" for the rest of the set. The twinkie cards were available on the backs of 25-cent twinkie packs.
    The fronts are identical, but the backs are different in that the twinkie cards have a thick black bar in the middle of the back (like a big thick dash mark at the center of the top and the bottom of the card).

This info comes from the beckett guide and has pictures which I cannot put up here--but could verify which set it comes from if you have any particular ebay auction or scan of your own to post.

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply! I think I have the TWINKIE version, because it has the 2 black marks you spoke about. The reason I was asking is because I recently got one in a collection I bought, and I listed it on ebay (link).. its not in very good condition, but it would be nice to know i have the harder to find version.

Perry
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AkbarClone is 100% correct. I collected these cards as a kid in the '70's. The Hostess cards were issued both ways in at least 1975, 1976 and 1977. Another thing to keep in mind is that since the Twinkies cards were in direct contact with the Twinkie in the package, they usually come with grease stains on the backs. The regular cards (from the three-card box panels) didn't come in direct contact with the boxes contents since the snacks were individually wrapped.

Steve
  • Options
    Pandrews,

That's definitely the single-wrapped Twinkie version.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for the replies.. I learned something new.. now I'm slightly educated about the 1975 Hostess issues.. =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a George Brett in one of them?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Staining is also very common on the single twinkie variety.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Not sure about Brett but there is a Yount. I call it his alternative RC.

Mmmmmmmmm. Twink-ieeeeee!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    No George Brett in either of he '75 sets.

1976 Hostess has Brett (#114), but he's not in the '76 Hostess Twinkie set.

1977 Hostess #36-Brett SP.

1978 Hostess #27-Brett

1979 Hostess #68-Brett
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Ok, another Hostess question.. this time its 1977.. does a 3 card "uncut" panel command any kinda premium?.. i have one with cards #1, 2, 3 (Palmer, Joe Morgan, Reggie).. or was this common?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    The three card panels are the most common way to find the cards (other than individual cards that have been cut from the panels). The cards were issued in all years as three card, sequentially numbered card panels on the bottoms of Hostess Ding Dongs, Cupcakes, Twinkies, King Dons and maybe a few others. The entire set therefore consists of 50 three card panels. These are the large boxes of individually wrapped snacks.

The cards were also issued in a separate 60 card set from 1975 - 1977. These are the individual card package stiffeners that have the black stripe on the backs. Also, since the snacks came in direct contact with the card, these cards are nearly always found with grease stains on them.

Steve
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    p_A,

Although 3 card panels are quite common (as SDSportsFan says), there is still a premium attached to them. Panel #1 in 1977 priced at $20 in SCD Standard Catalog, 3 individual cards are priced at $3, $3, and $4 respectively (Palmer, Morgan, and Reggie). There are two different R. Jacksons, not sure what the difference is, but the "unissued proof" one is $20.

Bob
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for the save Bobimage I forgot to put that in my postimage

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks guys, as always, this forum is a wealth of information!
    ·p_A·