Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I haven't been posting much lately ...

... for several reasons.

1. I purchased a new home and I've been very busy with moving and projects around the house.

2. Where I used to spend a couple of hours a day reading, learning from, and enjoying the posts here, for the past few months I have been able to be away from my computer for a week at a time and catch up on the really meaningful threads in a matter of an hour or so.

I would really like to thank the Nolan Ryan collectors for their fun and informative threads. Other than a few other random threads, everything is mostly negative. I just don't have the time for it anymore.

So, I am requesting that you guys start posting some more fun and informative threads. I really need you guys to do this. Otherwise, I'll end up spending a lot of money on home improvement projects that I can't afford right now! image

To make this thread applicable to this forum, I'll start it off by posting a couple of scans of some cards from recent purchases and submissions that I'm particularly fond of.

Thanks in advance for the end of this madness.

JEB.

1970 Jack In The Box Willie Stargell

T218 Abe Goodman

T218 Patsy Brannigan

T218 Thure Johansson

T218 Young Donahoe

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    JEB-
    those T218's are really nice- when did it change from pugilism to gloves? Do you have a complete set of these? Are they tough to find?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - Why is it, everytime I look up, your thowing those T218's in my face? I have Emails full of the scans, while drinking beer in FLA, you tempt me with them in person, and now they are on the boards! Whats next? You'll send my wife T218 wallpaper to paper the living room? (Hey thats not a bad idea!) image ...jay
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Griffins,

Not sure about the gloves ... maybe someone else could answer that question. After all, that would be informative and that's what I'm looking for.

As far as the set goes, I have a nearly complete set that is composed of both raw and graded cards. The 154 card set consists of boxers, track and field stars, aviators, billiards champions, golfers, swimmers, bowlers, and even a rollerskater! I plan to submit another 50 or so to PSA in the next few weeks. I am attempting this set in PSA 4-5 or better and continually upgrading.

JEB.

my most recent pickup

....in my dreams
    Jay,

Here's your T218 Wallpaper. Enjoy! image

Seriously, I'll frame these soon and hang them in my workshop.

JEB.

JEB-
    Reprint sheet or just really good matting? What year were these issued? Since they aren't listed in Lipset's book I assume no baseball players.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Griff...The t-218s are not a hard set to collect in low-mid grade condition...but those 8s that Virtualized has are another matter. Those are beautiful cards. I am collecting this set raw and only need 7 or so cards to complete the set. There are no baseball players...there are track and field, roller skaters, pool players, bowlers, boxers and more. The overall set is 153 cards, but the boxing set I'm after consists of 61 boxers and 1 boxing referee. They are a beautiful and economical set to collect either raw or graded.

There are 3 back variations...mecca tobacco, hassan tobacco, and tolstoi tobacco. the tolstois are really tough to find...I only have acquired 3 thus far. Mecca is slightly more easier to collect than Hassan, but just slightly.

Year of issue is 1910...I wish PSA would put the year on the labels.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • T218's are from 1910. JEB got me hooked a while back. I've now got 117 of the 154 cards needed to complete the set.

They're pretty easy to get in mid to low grade. In fact, I listed a few dozen dupes on eBay yesterday image
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

• << <i> The overall set is 153 cards, but the boxing set I'm after consists of 61 boxers and 1 boxing referee. . >>

154, not 153. What cards do you need?
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Anybody have any cards of James "The Gentleman Masher" Corcoran?

Griffins,

It's a reprint, but I thought it was pretty cool.

As for the set, the cards were issued in 1910 in packs of Mecca and Hassan cigarettes from the American Tobacco Company. There are a few rare Tolstoi backs (I only have a couple of them). A similar set was also issued. It is catalogued as the T219 set and these cards were issued by Honest Long Cut, Miner's Extra, and Red Cross Tobacco. They are smaller (2-1/4" x 2-7/8" vs. 2-1/2" x 2-7/8 for T218s - the Red Cross versions are even smaller). There are also some anonymous issues (i.e. no Tobacco Company name on the back). These are Canadian issues of the same set and are catalogued as the C52 set. Interestingly enough, I have sent several of my T218s back to PSA on a mechanical error submission because they were mislabeled as T219s. Only a little over 300 cards have been graded by PSA for this issue so far, so they still have some research to do on these minor variations among the several issues.

One note about most of the information posted above: about six months ago, when I had obtained most of this set raw, I contacted Robert Forbes, an authority on Tobacco Issues, mainly non-sport. He sent me some info on the T218 and T219 sets that was a great resource at the time, but it was still a work in progress for him. Check out some of his books on non-sports cards if you are interested. They are great!

JEB.
    Tom...I need

Frankie Conley
    Al Delmont
    Charles Eyton (ref)
    Abe Goodman
    Jack Goodman
    Willie Lewis
    Tommy O Toole
    Eddie Walsh

John
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

<< <i>

<< <i> The overall set is 153 cards, but the boxing set I'm after consists of 61 boxers and 1 boxing referee. . >>

154, not 153. What cards do you need? >>

Tom,

I believe my original list that I sent you is wrong. I now believe that there are only 153 cards in the set. I'll keep my original list, but for now, I'll consider the set complete at 153.

JEB.
    John,

Email me - jeb@virtualizard.com

I'm sure I can find the last 9 cards you need, and I'll answer your question about the billiards cards.

JEB.
  • Which card needs to be dropped?

• << <i>Tom...I need

Frankie Conley
    Al Delmont
    Charles Eyton (ref)
    Abe Goodman
    Jack Goodman
    Willie Lewis
    Tommy O Toole
    Eddie Walsh

John >>

If JEB can't help you , I can. LMK.
    Tom,

I believe Jim Jeffries is a duplicate (or triplicate, if you will) of the other 2 Jeffries cards (James and James J.) I compiled this list from several different sources and it's become apparent that this card is not part of the set. Sorry.

JEB.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JEB,
    Don't mean to slow the topic but I just wanted to say that I really appreciated this thread. For one, I've wondered where you had been lately, but more importantly I have had the same feelings about the board. I don't post much, but have read these boards for well over a year and have slowed a lot because there just hasn't been much worthwhile. It's funny,I just e-mailed another board member last night and mentioned that if it wasn't for the Nolan Ryan collectors the board would be almost completely useless over the past couple of months.

Anyway, glad to hear your doing well, the newest acquisitions are great and I hope your post will swing us back to the right direction.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

• << <i>Tom,

I believe Jim Jeffries is a duplicate (or triplicate, if you will) of the other 2 Jeffries cards (James and James J.) I compiled this list from several different sources and it's become apparent that this card is not part of the set. Sorry.

JEB. >>

No biggy. I'm one closer to my goal image

<< <i>JEB,
    Don't mean to slow the topic but I just wanted to say that I really appreciated this thread. For one, I've wondered where you had been lately, but more importantly I have had the same feelings about the board. I don't post much, but have read these boards for well over a year and have slowed a lot because there just hasn't been much worthwhile. It's funny,I just e-mailed another board member last night and mentioned that if it wasn't for the Nolan Ryan collectors the board would be almost completely useless over the past couple of months.

Anyway, glad to hear your doing well, the newest acquisitions are great and I hope your post will swing us back to the right direction.

Abe >>

Abe, I'm sure we're not alone. A lot of the former regular posters here are no longer present. I'm hoping this thread, and others hopefully, will bring a few back. In any case, whether I post here or not, you can always email me at jeb@virtualizard.com. I have many private discussions with some members here that are much more fulfilling than reading these threads.

BTW, I will get some cards to you shortly. I have a box full of them from our last email discussion.

JEB.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JEB,
    I also seem to have most of my card discussions via e-mail these days, rather than on the board. Take your time on the cards, I'm looking forward to them, but am in no hurry.

Congratulations on the house! I know it's a lot of fun, but even more work!

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    A lot of the former regular posters here are no longer present. >>

It's a shame. I have been wondering where our old friend Toppsgun has been. image He definitely knows his cards and adds much to our discussions.
    JEB-
    The Forbes name rang a bell, realized I had his book American Tobacco Cards but it stops at T177. Is there a decent book that picks up where this left off? Lipsets book doesn't have it, and Lemke's is just baseball.

• << <i>

<< <i>
    A lot of the former regular posters here are no longer present. >>

It's a shame. I have been wondering where our old friend Toppsgun has been. He definitely knows his cards and adds much to our discussions. >>

A lot of the former regular posters here are no longer present BECAUSE of YOUR old friend. And some of us don't wonder at all where he's gone because we know.
  • Tom andor Jeb, one of you just has to scan the front and back of the "worlds greatest walker card". The back of that card is by far one of the most interesting and entertaining I have ever read.
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Nice T218s!

I just wanted to chime in to say thanks for singling out the Ryan guys in your thread. We have a lot of fun together and it's nice to know that we are adding a little positive attitude to the forum!
  • BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I agree with you Virtualizard,
    these boards have changed.

I was just thinking about some
    of the really helpful guys that I never
    see around here anymore....

skylaneflyer
    zardoz51
    brucemo
    waitilltheytrytosell
    Nipper
    alaneads
    mikeschmidt
    acowa
    dude
    NickM
    coachvinny
    are some of the names that come to mind....

some are still around:
    vargha
    aconte
    qualitycards

but they are not enough it seems
    to overcome the change....

~jeff

imageimage
  • Most of the old posters no longer have cards to sell. They will be back to post their vast knowledge when they have auctions to promote.
  • JEB,

Out here reading from time to time. Haven't posted in a couple of months.
    Your post is refreshing in a number of ways which I'll get to.

Many of the veteran posters have scaled back their participation here for varied and understandable reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum and that is unfortunate and leaves much of the great knowledge and insight on the sidelines.

The message boards are our collective forums for good ideas, set discussions, and enjoyment of the hobby. Often, however, the topics on this the Set Registry Forum, have strayed from the topic and it leaves a lot of flotsam and jetsam to weed through. We all read just what we are interested in I guess, after all, we each hold the remote to the TV so to speak, and can turn the channel anytime we want.
    It would be better for all of us collectors if we could try to stay on topic and use each Forum for what it is intended.
    Enough said.

JEB, your upbeat spirit is infectious. I too am a closet T-218 collector. My interest was a single day initiated venture. I was at an antique fair about six months ago and stumbled on a few of the T-218 cards in the raw. I proceeded to buy them and take them home to do some research. Tough to find good stuff published about this issue. On that same weekend you had posted a pic of one of those cards on a post and my interest really got stoked.
    I now have about 25% of this set and find it amazingly unique. It seems that there are a few more of us that feel that way based on what has been discussed here. I too currently have some nice cards out to PSA and have reasonably high hopes.
    Your 8's are amzingly gorgeous. The cards themselves can be found, but 8 quality beauties that you have scanned to this post are rare indeed. I can't wait for a registry for these and look forward to participating with you.
    I am sure we will talk about these in the near future. Thanks for the pics and thanks for provoking me into posting once more. I'll be around.

RayBShotz

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
    RayBShotz (and everyone else who is a T-218 fanatic)...I agree it would be great that PSA would add the T-218s to the registry.

I have started this graded set (boxing only) in SGC holders as Sean Skeffington recently added a weighted T-218 boxing set. The rest of the set (other sports) I am collecting raw. These cards look absolutely beautiful in 9-card pages in a professional binder. The color, registration, lithography for that time period are absolutely fantastic.

These 3 cards come to mind in regards to weighing the set.

Abe Attell
    Jack Johnson (side)
    Jack Johnson (front)

Just curious to see if anyone collects the same, yet smaller sized T-219s; or T-220s (silver and tolstoi variations), and T-225s? I am also collecting the rarer C52 Imperial Tobacco Canadian version. These cards are identical to the T-218 (card fronts) with the exception of no branding in the back and the cards are numbered in the back as well....always looking for these.

Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Welcome back Jeb. Curiously, I only own 1 tobacco card...and it's from this set! I bought it because I loved the colors and the American flag belt on old Packey McFarland.

Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
    RayB,

Thanks for the post. Good to see you here again as well. I have had a lot of fun with this set. Let me know what you need - I have about 600 raw cards from the set, although a lot of them are obviously low grade.

John,

I'll get back to you soon on the cards you're looking for. As far as weighting, I'm not sure that this set should be weighted. I haven't noticed much of a difference in cost vs. grade from one card to another, other than a few - James Jeffries comes to mind. Also, if the Billiards cards ever come up in high grade, they will go for premiums. Without more knowledge, I would not be comfortable in weighting this set yet. I will give you this (based on my experiences so far):

The boxers are relatively easy to find due to demand.

The athletes, i.e. track and field and swimmers, are also relatively easy.

Aviators, Bowlers and Billiards are few and far between, especially in better than G-VG condition.

Golfers are out there. You just have to be patient, but they can be picked up from time to time in mid-grade. High grade will be tough.

Not sure about the lone Rollerskater. I guess I got lucky on that one - it can't be that easy to find in this grade.

From my own submission:

Putty,

I assume that you are referring to the Edward Payson Weston card. I haven't had this one graded yet, but it will go in on my next submission.

Front

Back

Mantlefan,

Here's my Packey:

Thanks again for everyone's positive responses. I'm looking forward to being able to participate again in some meaningful discussions.

Best of luck to everyone with the T218 set, or whatever else you may be collecting.

JEB.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I think much of the difficulty in finding the non-boxing cards from the set (I have a few low-grade boxing cards from it) is the irregular ways they may end up being listed on ebay. While many people who may have some may not know what set they are from, boxing cards at least have an easy-to-find category on ebay and can be readily listed in it. Cards of everyone else are much more likely to be listed in a fashion that will make most people miss them on searches.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Nick,

That's a really relevant point, but I haven't seen much out there on ebay. Trust me, I search regularly in a variety of categories using many different search criteria. I have only come across a few good deals that were listed in an odd category in the 16 months that I've been searching. One was a BIN for $5.99 and ended up grading a PSA 6! image

It does pay to search, but don't expect to find much.

JEB.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Jeff -- Thanks for the kind words. The lack of good manners here has caused me to scale back my posting to only around 13 times per day on the CU boards.
    Jeb...thanks. I'll patiently await your reply and I hope I get lucky as I would like to finish this set and move on to something else. You are probably right on the weighting....a high grade attell, johnson, and jeffries will command a premium over their high-grade counterparts, but your're right, from mid to low grade the prices realized are nearly the same.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

• Jeb, I take it back the roller skater card may be just as interesting. Seriously, it is one of the neatest sets of all time given its age and broad range of topics, and my god the colours on those cards. They really are one of a kind.
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC