Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 topps baseball collectors/sellers and F.B.

Frank Bakka was correct.

I've been able to pick up some PSA 8 and 9's at 75% of SMR.

I picked up a Mays 8 last night for 72.50/SMR 105

My friend who is building the set is looking to get
NM-MT raw common cards instead of buying PSA 8's for three
to five dollars. He wants to know if anyone has bulk
of these cards that they could sell. None could be o/c. They couldn't be NM+ either.
Also, if you have any PSA 8 stars/semistars for
sale, he would be interested. Please PM me if you have anything.
Some of the semistars are around 50-75% on ebay right now in PSA 8.
The 9's are too infrequent for his liking.

Thanks for your advice Frank. He decided that the PSA 9 set
would take too long. He didn't have the patience for that.

marc

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    No problem Marc,

But, there are a lot of folks working hard on the 72 set that I've been hearing these things from lately - so I really can't take the credit. The experts right now are probably Castaldi, Emard, Vitale, Corpis, Horton and a few others who are watching eBay like hawks each and every day!

Finding NM-MT raw cards is going to be tougher... And the reason that I say that is that everyone who is sending card in to grade seems to be willing to take the chance on buying NM-MT in the hopes that a few of them will turn out to be MINT. You're best bet is to buy NM or NM+ lots from dealers that have very high feedbacks (preferably 100%) and DO NOT sell graded cards.

Anyone who regularly sells raw material and doesn't get hit with negs is probably undergrading slightly - and you should be able to pull out some nice NM-MT cards and then sell off the rest.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    I have it on good authority that Mickey's will soon have a fresh infusion of PSA 8 1972's. You might want to check out his website later this week.
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    zsz70- about a month ago i was outbid for a tough 72 topps psa 8 alan gallagher at 237.00 i won one last night for 72.00. frank has always preached patience, "wait for the next one at a much lower price" and he was right !
    your friend may be better off buying graded and cracking them , TRUE nm-mt or better is tough to come by raw. a reputable raw seller (waverly82) recently broke a nm-mt to mint set and the some of the final prices were insane, i bid aggressively on over 20 cards and ended up winning only one card,@ 20+ . i think a mint raw giants team among others went for 100+. your friend doesn't happen to be NRSALZMAN?
    72 psa 9's seem to come in bunches and 2 weeks ago i had NEVER seen so many up on ebay at one time. the same week 400+ psa 8's were also up for auction. it was like shooting fish in a barrel. the really good raw stuff is ALWAYS tough to find.
    i'm expecting a series 3 wax box this week from BBCEXCHANGE (early fathers day gift from the missus) and i may end up with some raw cards that will fit your friends criteria, but in all honesty anything with a real shot at a PSA 9 is going to be submitted. i'll let you know.

MACHODOC couldn't be more right about MICKEYS, expect to pay a slight premium over ebay value but their customer service more than makes up for it....jim

frank- thanks for the kind reference, but guy's like yourself , mike and others have probably forgot more about the 72 set than i have ever known.

• Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Thanks highend,

Good luck on the wax box. I see a guy on ebay in his store
    has a GAI 9 pack with Rose showing on the back for around 500.00

I'm suprised to hear that about that NM-MT/MINT set that was broken.
    I have seen PSA 8 cards not sell on ebay for 3.00
    Perhaps they are high POP cards/ or the FB theory comes in to play
    that all the big bidders have had their appetites satisfied.

I am being very patient for these. This guy doesn't want to spend a fortune.
    I'm placing bids that are around 70% of SMR. If a card is 50/50 I may bid more.
    Fortunately I was able to pick up 300 NM-MT commons for 200.00
    I also picked up some NM-MT high number commons at 5.00 a piece.
    I don't have a Beckett so I don't know if these are good prices, but they
    sounded good enough.

I guess I'm going to wait around for those guys who got a lot of 9's,
    made big money, and are willing to unload some 8's at a good price.
    Let's see if that happens, eh ?

thanks again,
    marc
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    zsz70> If you're looking for raw 72s in NM/MT or better, I would say that in addition to FB's advice your best bet is to go to shows. If you can make it to the Chicago-area shows, or Ft Washington or Hollywood Park, etc then you should come away with some solid cards at each show. Some dealers will want almost what an already-slabbed PSA8 would go for, but many won't.

I go to each Chicago show and have always found a selection of raw 72s. As I've gotten closer to completing the 72 set, I've pulled less and less at each show - basically taking only cards I needed and/or stuff that I felt was PSA9-quality.

There's stuff to be had though.
    Good luck.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Mike,

Thanks. I can make it to the Fort and will try.

However, someone taught me how to do an advanced search on ebay.

I just checked some sales of PSA 8 cards. I found that a Rod Carew,
    Willie Stargell, and Nolan Ryan along with many others are selling from
    50% and lower of SMR. I think I will continue to take Franks advice
    and be very patient.

Could any of you guys tell me what a Nolan Ryan books for in Beckett
    NM-MT raw ? I saw that one sold on ebay in PSA 8 for 99.00 last month.

You guys have been a great help.
    Actually, this guy wants to get PSA 8 cards and crack them open
    to put in Card Saver I's. He actually doesn't like them in the PSA holders.
    He said it takes away from his childhood memories of having these cards
    as a kid. Everybody is different I guess.

Please somebody get back to me on NM-MT prices on some of the stars
    raw from Beckett. I do not own one and would be interested to see how
    much his cards will go down in value if he cracks them open. I may be
    able to change his mind on this one.

thanks,
    marc
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Beckett Hi column which is NrMt for 1972; Mays $30; Fisk RC 50; Aaron 40; Clemente 50; Carlton 20; Bench 25; Reggie 30; Seaver 30; B Robby 25; Rose 50; Ryan 100; Kaline 25; Rangers Team 30; Garvey 40; Carew 50; Carlton, Morgan & F Robby traded cards all 40; Cey RC 25; Wilhelm 25 ........Commons #657-787 $12
    The In action cards are 1/2 the listing for the regular cards ; I only listed cards that book for $20 & up, you have the Yaz's, Munson's, etc. in the 12-15 range. Hope this helps
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?