Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I think my paypal account has been hacked!

I got this email a few minutes ago from paypal:

You have added laptopseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
PayPal
account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your
account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites
by
opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and
typing
in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP007

I don't know who this person is and there is no one at paypal to help me. They are all off due to the holiday what shall I do?? When I click on this email it goes to paypal and asking me to sign in.

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    It is probably a scam to get your user info. Ingore email and DO NOT CLICK anything in it. Just in case go to PayPal and change your password.

Bill

09/07/2006

• << <i>It is probably a scam to get your user info. Ingore email and DO NOT CLICK anything in it. Just in case go to PayPal and change your password. >>

Also forward it to spoof@paypal.com. In the very, very unlikely event that it is not a fake message, they will notify you that it is real, and what to do about it.
    Roy

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened to me once. I changed my password at the Paypal site and never had a problem.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty insidious email.

Never trust any apparent email from ebay or paypal even if it seems legitimate.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I got the same email with the same email address a couple of weeks ago. I forwarded it to PayPal, and they confirmed it was a fake. These guys are getting pretty creative lately....got another one from supposedly eBay telling me that some of my auctions had not posted correctly with a link to "fix" the problem. eBay confirmed it was a spoof email. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • I have had my eBay account hacked, but never my PayPal account. Scary stuff. Be very careful!
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    If you click on the link in the email it sends you to a paypal log in screen asking you for your email address and password. When you sign in you are taken to another screen with this message:

Paypal is conducting a random security check and your account has been selected. Please update the following information so we may up date your account. It asks for your credit card number, bank account number, the CV numbers on the back of your credit card and the PIN number for the card.

When it asked for this info I didn't give it. Yes, I clicked the link but did not provide any of the info asked. I copied all the info and sent it to paypal and changed my password.

I have a firewall and all my virus programs are up dated so I am not worried about that. I have gotten a similar email like this before and just blew it off. This one was the best on yet because it look more authentic than any of the others I've seen.
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you changed your PayPal password immediately because when you gave them your email and password, that's all they needed to empty your account. The second link asking for your credit card number and CVV is only icing on the cake for them. Make sure the balances in your PayPal account are what they are supposed to be, because if they are not, you have been had image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    All is well in Paypal landimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scam.

I got the same email and deleted it.

NEVER respond to any emails from PayPal or eBay. That's my policy.

They have my contact information, so if they need me, they can send me something via snailmail or call me on the telephone (though now that I think of it, I'm not sure how I would verify a telephone call, either.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I just got the exact same one. Thanks for the heads up, just deleted it.image
    Becky