Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Set Snipers

How many of you have upgrades and are waiting for 11:59 June 30th 2004 to post them?
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    OK I'll bite.. What is happening on this date and time??
    As always I'm in the dark. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Ok I see where you were coming from now. I should be so lucky... image
    Dan
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>How many of you have upgrades and are waiting for 11:59 June 30th 2004 to post them? >>

If there are any, I think you get replies from them at 11:59 June 30th 2004. So they don't tip their hand. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Nope, I'm upgrading as the coins come in. If someone "snipes" me, then I'll just
    be enjoying having some competition.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    In the past, there are a couple proof Kennedy set owners who have sniped the set award. If they're planning that this year, though, they're out of luck. Not possible to topple Edson - he owns the top spot for all time to come. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Craig,

I wouldn't be too worried about the #2 set, it's the "The number 1 set of all time (future)" set you have to be worried about. He's probably waiting till the end of June to list his other 79 dates.image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better hope it's not registered in another set could take a few days to get the # freed-upimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Russ,
    The only guy that can snipe me is EBL III but looks like he is tired of collecting Kennedy.

The others that had the habit of hiding the composition of the set to throw everything in the last hours, they will have to work better this year if they want to tie with me. image

The good news is that I have a real chance to make a second 1969 PR70DCAM. I found one PR69DCAM ++++PQ.image

Let’s see if PCGS agree with me.image

Edson
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Are you nervous Bill? Link to Bill's #1 set
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Better hope it's not registered in another set could take a few days to get the # freed-upimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so many that it will overload the system and not take em....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Sorry Bill, but at least you know that Turner guy won't snipe you on the Eddie gold set.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I'm only 50% completed, so I don't have that stressful worry....

• Options
    I'm new to this forum. Why would anyone wait or hold back sending in their coins to be registered? Is there a prize or something?
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the heads up, guys. I had been planning to hold my newest update to my Walker short set until the end of June. But then I read this thread. I said to myself, "My gosh, what I was planning to do has a name, 'sniping.' I certainly dont want to be known as a sniper." So, shamed as I was to even contemplate such a dastardly deed, I decided to post my upgrade today, a 1947-D in 67, pop 7/0. I'm computer illiterate, so if anyone wants to provide a link to "impalasteve's walker short set," that would be fine. If not, thats ok also.

Steve

PS. Of course we all realize that the TRUE #1 short set belongs to Walkerguy, who recently retired his awesome set, which allowed a perennial #2 guy like me move up.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sniping, I'm still completing the set. O.K. O.K. - so I was waiting a little bit, but just to get all the pictures taken.

The set is entered now.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Congratulations on a great set. Also, excellent photo presentations.

Steve
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Bill , You must have known that your set was going to be topped. I just looked at your set today and you are now #2. I think you can get back your top racking but you will need to upgrade. I am now #3 well we will see how it all plays out. Fred
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Badger,
    WOW!! Tremendous set(s), lots of great coins. imageimageimage Congratulations imageimageimage
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    image------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    UPDATE: The PCGS site says new additions to your set must be by 10:00 PM June 30thimage---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve's set
    I hope....Text
  • Options
    In NASCAR, you get points for leading a lap that goes towards the championship. Should the registry winners be based on average time standing versus point in time standing?

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I've added two coins this week- a '53-D in 66FBL, and a '59 in 66FBL. Both were added the day I acquired the coin.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    " In NASCAR, you get points for leading a lap that goes towards the championship. Should the registry winners be based on average time standing versus point in time standing?"

No, unless PCGS starts a championship. These are only individual races.
  • Options
    Steve27,

I may not have made my point. One way to lower the impact of sniping would be to use an average time basis. This would promote adding coins as obtained.

Dave

• Options
    I don't care if people want to add coins at the last moment;
    I just want people to have to make their coins visible for
    everyone to see.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    This "average time" / "NASCAR" idea has merit.
  • Options
    Pcgs does give the nod to the earliest list set in a tie but I fell the # 1 listed set on the closing day should win.
    as highlander said " there can only one ".
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Not me... but then, I'm ranked in the mid-thirties.

David
  • Options
    Post as you get that way you will not forget
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    Lothlórien Collection Sniped me on my 2000 mint set in the last few hours.He was #8 Last night.......
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Dave’s idea with the averaging.. Or another way (which I think is better) is to limit the percentage of number of coins in the last month upgrades and additions. For example, in a 20 coin set, only 2 coins will count if more added within the last 30 days. This would give the honest competitors (as Hutton and Lyle in the 2000 set) ability to battle to the deadline, and prevent the obvious disrespect for the registry that was shown by Lothlórien....ric

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Currin

I would have to agree........What happened tonite sucked. I work (as well as Ernie - Lyle) hard on this set and to be slammed loke this when JUST LAST NIGHT that set was at #8 and closed....is BS. With 10000 sets registered, there has to be some paramiters set. That is clearly uncalled for. Just my 2 half cents worth.
  • Options

<< <i>Currin

I would have to agree........What happened tonite sucked. I work (as well as Ernie - Lyle) hard on this set and to be slammed loke this when JUST LAST NIGHT that set was at #8 and closed....is BS. With 10000 sets registered, there has to be some paramiters set. That is clearly uncalled for. Just my 2 half cents worth. >>

Guys,
    Take it easy..Your day will come.....you know what they say about payback....Now get going and give me some competition on my early Mint Sets.......33-47.....Nobody has even put up another 33 set!
    I just received 4 coins for my Mint Sets, but rather then snipe I will just hold off and put them up this weekend.
    Trust me, it's not that big a deal...........have fun......build the best set you can and challange the others to beat it..........and if they do......congrads to them.......
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    "competition" is getting "HOT"... image
  • Options
    All's fair in love, war, ebay, and now the registry! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I got a set, but im not posting and Im not telling.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    'til tomorrow?