Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Topps Set - WOW!

Link

I'll start by saying - the winning bidder has one top notch collection. He bought my 1969 partial set and my 1970 near complete set about 9 months ago. Dave has accumulated one heck of a nice collection in a little under a year. Check out some of his sets.

JEB.

Comments

• Options

I've seen that Ebay id all over the place but i don't know who it is. I think he's even out bid me before (and when i place a snipe i usually winimageimage).

He does seem to be building an awesome collection very fast.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Yea he won a beautiful set alright !!
    No doubt about it.
    Problem was the highest bidder other than he was at 13K and change.
    He had to pay 20K to win it.
    So really .........is he a winner or not??
    At a little over 13 K he most likely was.
    How about at 7 grand over his next highest bidder at 20K??
    Thoughts.

Mojorob
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Hey, I never said he didn't overpay! I would still own both the '69 and '70 sets if he hadn't hit my reserves!

JEB.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yea he won a beautiful set alright !!
    No doubt about it.
    Problem was the highest bidder other than he was at 13K and change.
    He had to pay 20K to win it.
    So really .........is he a winner or not??
    At a little over 13 K he most likely was.
    How about at 7 grand over his next highest bidder at 20K??
    Thoughts.

Mojorob >>

Mojorob:

Numerous dealers list and sell items for fixed prices that may be very much higher than they would receive in an auction process. This set would not have sold for $20k, and it appears that the winning bidder was willing to go much higher. So I think it is a win-win situation.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

If he wanted the set and was willing to pay $20K for it then he got a good deal. IMO people put WAY to much stock in what Beckett or the SMR says an item is worth. If the SMR had said this set was worth $5K and he paid $20K then he still got a good deal in my eyes if he's happy with the purchase and was willing to pay $20K.

Price guides are evil!image

Paul.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    That set if broken up will go for over 20K. SMR on a average PSA 8 set is not 5K. I think the set was well worth 20K. I think it comes down too who has the 20K to put out for it.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    20k was the reserve
    Good for you.
  • Options

SMR on a average PSA 8 set is not 5K

I never said the SMR price was $5k, i said "IF" the guide price was $5k it would still have been a good deal at $20k if the buyer was happy with the transactiuon.

Paul.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    I guess I have to disagree with the terminalogogy of a GOOD DEAL.
    Just because you are willing to pay 7 grand more than anyone else at a particular time does
    not mean you are neccessarily getting a good deal.
    If he can't turn around and get his money back out of it, the same way he bought it, it is
    not particularly a good deal.
    It may be a deal the buyer is very happy with, and that is absolutly great...... but I would not classify it as the buyer
    getting a good deal in this instance.
    However a final note, I wish this set were mine!! image
    GREAT SET and a very nice addition, all DEALS aside.

Mojorob
  • Options
    Good deal depends on a personal opinion.

If a really hot girl that he wanted to date told him "I'll date you if you get a complete 1969 Topps set with a GPA of 7 or higher", then he got a great deal.
    Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Options
    If a really hot girl that he wanted to date told him "I'll date you if you get a complete 1969 Topps set with a GPA of 7 or higher", then he got a great deal. imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dave is a real nice guy from the interactions we have had with him. To put that set together piecemeal with shipping fees etc, I think you would pay at least that much. Remember something else. Just because he was the highest bidder by a lot does not mean that it is not a reasonable deal. Perhaps other big bidders were unaware of the auction. Perhaps they had just spent their tax return at Mastro, etc.

I have about $11.5K in my 1969 collection (not including shipping and insurance) and while the GPA is higher (8.36), I am far from complete (54%) and missing many low pop cards. I think he did just fine. And on the bright side...he probably will not be bidding on so many 1969 cards now.

Sandy
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Only time will tell. I have been on both sides of the equation in the past.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Ohio,
    You make a good point. I'm 35% complete and have $10000 in mine. I do have most of the tough ones though. My GPA is 8.59. I personally believe the winner got a deal at 20K.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things made me shy away from making a run at that set. 1) Most of the low pop tough cards were not 8 or better. 2) The big ticket cards seemed to be marginal 8's (based on centering). I'm glad to see the market is still strong for 1969s, especially in light of the fact that Dave Jacobs and Dave Read recently broke up their marque sets. This created a temporary glut if high grade material.