Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newbie to the darkside needs some help with a new coin

Hi gang,
first time to the darkside but i figured I might get some help here. My sister in law recently had her grand motther pass away and she went to clean the house to sell it. She knows that i collect coins and when i got home this evening there was an envlope on the counter. Inside it was a square 5 cent piece from the KONINGRIJK. DER. NEDERLANDEN. It is dated 1943 and appears to be silver. There are shells in the four corners on the reverse and some type of tree with different limbs on it on the obverse in the center. My camera is not so good so I am trying to describe it. If anyone can give me some ideas on this coin asnd maybe some history behind it , I would appreciate it. Also if PCGS or NGC would slab it? I think it is a neat coin for my collection.

Thanks,
Ken

Comments

• Options
    You have a copper-nickel 5 cent coin from the Dutch island of Curacao off the coast of Venezuela. There were 8.595 million minted that one year during the reign of exiled Queen Wilhelmina (1890-1948).
    You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.
    Depending on condition it may be worth up to about $5.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile