Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

carlos beltran rc card question

I am wanting to grab a nice copy of what should be his best rookie card. IMO it is between his topps traded uer and his sp rookie. Would like some help as to which card would be the better investment down the road. I am leaning towards the sp simply because I think error cards stink, how ever I know in some cases due to it being an error card it could very possibly help it out. Some thoughts would be helpful thanks.

Comments

• Options
    My advice is to stick with the Topps Traded. You may still want to pick up a few of the SP Top Prospects cards but not for investment purposes. My experience is that Minor League issues don't hold their value too well over the long run unless they are in very short supply (which doesn't seem to be the case here). image
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    On the other hand, if graded rookies are what you want, the SP is probably a tougher card to locate in PSA 9 than the Topps Traded.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Interesting thing... Beltran's 1995 SP rookie isn't listed in SMR. I guess the last time that set was updated, Carlos was not as big a deal for collectors as he is now. Guererro is the big name in that set. I think this particular Beltran card will end up with stronger appeal than it otherwise might, because Carlos' only other card in 1995, the Topps Traded, has the wrong player's picture on it. Being an error card isn't so hot unless they correct it, creating variations. Can you imagine the wrong player being on A-Rod's rookie and not being corrected? Or Clemens?
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The 1995 SP Beltran is a minor league card, not a Rookie Card.
    The one and only card to get of Beltran is his 1995 Topps Traded, which makes it especially enticing - much like when Mark Mcgwire took off and everyone knew the 1985 Topps was the only RC to get. And the 1995 Topps Traded Set was a limited printing compared to the usual. There were no factory sets made, only wax boxes, which really impacts the amount of graded cards on the market (since a dealer can't break open a couple cases and get 200 Beltrans). Look at the numbers he has put up already in his career, if he ends up on the Yankees or Red Sox, watch this card explode!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    the only TRUE rookie cards of beltran (as major league issue) are 1995 bowman's best, bowmans best refractor, and topps traded (#s 12 and 18 both have beltran). the bowman's best is a multi player issue, so i would probably go with the topps traded, even though it is an uer. he wasn't in any major issue in 96, and only in bowman and bowman's best in 97, fleer update and leaf r & s in 98. the leaf rooks & stars would be a nice pickup, especially one of the #ed true blues or longevity.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    But the 1995 Bowman's Best does not have a Carlos Beltran card. If it did, that would likely be his best card, and RC. But the 1995 Topps Traded is a tough set to find, with there being no factory sets issued...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    false. 1995 bowman's best and bowman's best refractor, card number is X5. it is a multi player issue, so the topps would be the better card to get as it is an actual Beltran card. however it is not Beltran on the card. tough call.