Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A nice modern set/wax box to purchase and preserve--pondering what to buy, input appreciated

Hello card crusaders,

Those who know me on this board have already gotten a sense that I collect 1980's cards, almost exclusively, with some late 1970's and early 1990's as well.

I am always trying to appreciate the hobby in different ways as well. I have been reading a lot of posts about modern cards and I think you guys really struck a cord in me with all this talk about 2004 Bowman Chrome. I admit I have to do more homework on this, but I also need the inside scoop from you modern collectors as well.

Would it be right to say that what Bowman Chrome is for 2004, Donruss was for 1984, Topps was for 1983, Upper Deck was for 1989 and Leaf was for 1990?

I am actually looking to buy a case of Bowman Chrome, or a few boxes, maybe the entire set. I want to keep it factory sealed. Its already too expensive to buy a case of 1983 Topps wax that has not been searched or altered in any way. I want the satisfaction of knowing that I was the first owner of something and not have to question authenticity in any respect. I am very good at keeping things in a good storage area and not touching them. I have done this with other things I collect such as star wars figures, transformers, and GI Joe. In the early 1990's, I remember purchasing a lot of Star Wars and Transformers. I put them all safely in a box and never looked back. I had fun hunting this stuff down at Toys R Us and making an effort to get there when the new shipment arrives so that I get to pick from products that do not have any shelf wear. I take pride in saying that I still have all that stuff I bought almost 10 years ago in the same condition as I found it--boxed without any wear on the box. I plan on putting some of the star wars figures on display once I can get a protect frame box for them. They are aesthetically nice to look at
factory sealed, they don't have to be loose (out of original packaging)

I have heard of many board members crack open a case of this or a box of that one day out bordom or admit that its too tempting to keep a closed wax packs around. I have the patience to just simply preserve things. A lot of artwork goes into the packaging, so I may have a box out in the open for display. All these display ideas will have to wait until I can buy a house, but nothing is stopping me from preserving stuff for now.

How does Bowman Chrome look like? Are there subsets like "traded" or inserts? Where do they sell them so I can purchase them? Anything else I need to be aware of?
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Bowman chrome has been a weak pick up the last few years. Topps now makes bowman chrome
    draft, which has been hot the past two years, I would suggest waiting for that as it will include all
    the key rookies. Im not sure what your motivation is, re-sale value or prestige? Im not sure where you
    got that 2004 BC will be THE one, if anything perhaps the opposite.

Today there are MANY releases and it is the ones that happen at the end of the year that are the
    good ones. I would suggest waiting.....maybe even into the 2005 season as this stuff wil cool down.
    If you go with the Bowman Chrome, which in my opinion is not a wise choice, then wait until well
    after the release as it will be selling for less. If you go with the 2004 Bowman Chrome Draft, then
    maybe pre-order as the past two years this product has been on fire.

Are you looking for quality or are you looking to pick something up for a steal early that will be hot
    later? Im not sure why 2004 is your aim, as right now it would be all speculation. The 99 or 2002
    class is just as hot.

Let me know more about your aim and I will be able to help more.

Kevin
  • Options
    Even-numbered-year Bowman sets are generally pretty weak. That doesn't mean that this year will be the same, but that's how it's worked out. Going back to 1994, the best year was probably 1998, with Ordonez, Glaus, Rollins, Ryan Anderson, etc., but most of the key RCs there all have better cards in 1998 Leaf R&S, and Anderson is pretty much gone now, unfortunately. As it is now, 2003 looks kind of soft as it got scooped by the 2002 BDP set. Now basic 2004 Bowman has some good players in it, but it'll be tough to say it's worth buying a case of Chrome. Even the players for whom only Topps produces cards might have better options coming later on. A case would probably hold value for some time, but I'm not sure there won't be better options for your $600 or so.

If you want a rookie product to pick up and sit on, and it doesn't have to be from this year, you could do a lot worse than 2002 Bowman Draft Picks. Hobby boxes sell for around $150 now, up from about $120 over the winter. IMHO, these could easily hit $250 each in the next year or two as prospects continue to get hyped up and break throught to the majors. That is the set with the best Dontrelle rookie, for example, and many other rookies who are only in that set (except for some overlap with UD Premiere Prospects).

If you want to go a little further out on the limb, 2002 or 2003 Premiere Prospects might not be bad either as a lower-cost alternative. There are good players in them and some key autographs. But if you buy boxes, don't rip them, as there is little ROI in any given box. Or stock up on any of the UD Team USA sets. They are slowly but surely appreciating in value with the collegiate players now being drafted and making the majors. Numbered autographs and jersey cards in every box, plus a complete base set that is usually of gradeable quality. The 2004 set is going to be interesting. Even though the US team isn't going to the Olympics, there will probably be players worth having in 2006 or so. Plus, they're going back and getting more autos from Team USA alumni like McGwire, Will Clark, Prior, Mauer, etc.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joe and Bob,

I have to do some research into the sets you guys mentioned. I guess 2004 Bowman Chrome was a mistake on my part.
    I just want the best cards of 2004 analogous to the 1984 Donruss for 1984. If its not Bowman Chrome, then I will take something else. Basically, I want something of good quality and can hope that it will appreciate in value over the years, even if slowly (not something like hot for a few months and then plunges). I want to keep something worthwhile. I know that if there are some hot rookies who become some of baseball's best, the set would go up anyway--sky rocket in fact. Since there are so many sets available, I will simply choose my favorite design from the top three sets of 2004.

Where would I reserve or pre-order a box or set? Does Costco, Target, or Toys R Us have these cards that are worthy of getting?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    There are very few "sets" that are sold no a days, actually I think only topps comes out with sets....regular
    brand and perhaps some traded sets, even thought the past few years the traded cards have come out in
    packs not in set form. If you want a set of 2004 cards you are going to have to put it together yourself.
    That task isn't too bad in regards to the BC Draft, you usually get quite a bit of rookies a box and if you are
    doing a case then you should be able to put together a nicely centered set and be able to sell the others
    to recoup some money.

If you ask me your best bet (if you want to go with 2004), is to study the beckett rookie roledex that they
    come out with. It will give you a great gauge of where the good prospects are. Like Bob said, there are
    many players in certain sets, the USA sets and UD PP are good examples, they have players in them
    that topps can't touch.

Any of the on-lines stores can provide you with price and other info. I like Gerogetown cards site because
    they give you a scan of the sell sheets so you can see what is in the products. Check prices, presell
    is often the cheapest way to go on the BC draft type product...of course 95% of wax is selling less than
    the issue price come January.

Good Luck
    Kevin
  • Options
    Buy a case of 2004 Bowman Chrome the second or third week it comes out. this year the checklist is great for both AUTO's and regular cards. This will be much better than the base 2003 Bowman Chrome. 03 Bowman Chrome Draft is a good bet also. The 2002 is sweet, but it's already at about 250% of it's release price, so the room for growth is there, but it doesn't have as good of a chance at tripling or quadrupling from its current price in the next decade. I don't think 2004 Bowman Draft will be all that great since this is a pitching heavy draft with the likes of Weaver, Humber, and Nieman who might go 1,2, 3. Go back and buy boxes of 03 Draft rather than waiting for 04. 2001 Bowman Heritage baseball is also a great product, but my #1 reccomendation would be 2004 Bowman Chrome when it comes out in August.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    why HERITAGE is the answer...it it retains value as well.....lol....sorry..had to put that in there- i have no idea really what set..i collect 56 and 57 topps and vintage and heritage sets....once again i have NO IDEA!!!! best bet would be to buy 84 donruss boxes..that would be sweet!!

loth
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, you guys are giving me some good insights.

I guess 2003 Bowman Chrome Draft is a good collection to get. 2004 BCD is speculation right now, but would be better to get as a presell?

I have received mixed advice on getting 2004 Bowman Chrome coming out in August (the best time to get it would be after it comes out like in Jan 2005).

I also hear about Team USA sets. Now, that's got my attention, as I like Olympic cards like the Jim Abbott 1988 Topps Traded USA card. What manufacturer makes a quality product for Team USA Olympic cards?
    I need the full name of the product as I am still learning stuff when it comes to modern cards.
    I have heard Joe and Bob mention Upper Deck Team USA sets? Is that what it is called for 2004? What is the Upper Deck Premiere Prospects? Is that for 2004?

• Options
    Off the front of one of my boxes......2003 USA National Team Box Set. The box is 5 inches by 3 and
    a half. If you check out card shops they are probably just lying around and most likely very good prices.
    I couldn't even tell you when this stuff came in I just found out that it had Jared Weaver in it who is
    supposed to be the #1 draft pick this draft (2004). I was lucky enough to buy 4 boxes and pull
    two Weaver's paying for my boxes and I have a bunch of other autos left over.

If you are condition freak you might be disappointed with this product. The auto cards along with the
    set are just placed in the box, they can move around quite a bit, so condition is tough on these, but
    that doesn't seem to matter, there are a few players in this set that are on fire on ebay...Weaver, Head
    and Verlander just to name a few. You get 3 autos per box, there are four levels...750/350/250/150
    all are autoed. If you can find boxes for under 35 that is good.

Prospect Premiers is another good product. 2002 is loaded, you might of actually seen it in retail
    too. From what I understand the Upton is on fire on ebay now. 2003 which was last years
    product yeilded 3 autos per box and had some big names too, of course most of those guys won't
    be hitting the big time for another few years.

2004 Prem Prospects won't be out for months, same for the Olympic sets, remember USA won't be
    in Greece this year (what a joke!)

Let me know if I can help further and Good Luck

Kevin