Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sunday morning snipe (and more from Cyprus)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splendid!

Too bad about the old print, but still a gorgeous coin.

I need the 1901 Cyprus issues for Victoria's 1901 Victorian Type Set. I grabbed a gorgeous 1901 Ceylon 1/4 cent in iridescent-toned UNC off eBay a while back, for about nine bucks. It's semi-prooflike and has golds and greens and pinks, oh my! The seller had used eBay's pic hosting and included a one-sided, way-too-small picture that didn't show any of the colors or luster and actually made the coin look like it was cleaned. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Nice one. Too bad about the print.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Knowing how rare these little coins are, I really can't complain about the print, especially at that price.

The 1/4 piastre is slightly bigger than a farthing in terms of size and weight. 180 piastres to the gold sovereign.This one has a mintage of 60000.

It's still possible to locate the 1901 bronze coins in unc, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the silver ones, especially the 9 and 18 piastres.Usually they show up very worn, very ugly and expensive.

Here's one more from Cyprus that I bought about three months ago.

This picture will show up until the seller pulls it down.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The most difficult coins are from the Edward VII period, especially the notorious 1907 silver 18 piastres, the rarest of them all.

The most affordable coins from British Cyprus are the ones from the Elizabeth period.
    The proof set of 1955 should be carefully examined before buying it, as its bronze coins often exhibit ugly toning and spots,
    due to the faulty case of issue. Sets in custom lucite holders such as this are usually better preserved.

Independence came in 1960.Here's the 1963 set.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Wow neat stuff from Cyprus..... great eye candy...... image