Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Newbie Introduction & Help Request

Greetings!

I'm a newbie only in the sense that I have never participated in the coin boards, but I am an experienced coin collector with an extensive graded collection of mid to higher-end slabbed pieces and certified antique proof sets, etc.. I have been collecting since 1971 (with a break in college and grad school where I had to sell my collection for tuition) and have worked for a dealer as a college student.

My experience on the CU boards has been as a baseball card collector, but I'm new to the coin boards. I have several questions typical of the uninformed rookie, such as:

Who are the trusted online coin dealers? Does PCGS have a crossover service with pre-screening? Do members of the coin board have a comfortable swap and sale tradition between themselves as do the sportscard guys? How does the coin registry work? Do the other coin grading services have collectors boards? Is the rivalry between grading service collector advocates as fierce as it is in the sports card world? Etc...etc...etc...

Sorry for rambling, but I would appreciate any and all guidance. I must confess that I am really just jumping in here without the prior benefit of lurking on these pages first. If there are any sportscard guys who are also active on these boards, then knowing who they are would be a big help as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

Steve Wolfe

PS - "Machodoc" is also my name on the sportscards boards, and refers to the name of the body of water I live on in Virginia. I also have a website, which is: www.dahlgrensupervisor.com

Edited to delete a sentence fragment

Comments

• Options

I put in my two cents worth.

Who are the trusted online coin dealers?
    There are many, many good online dealers. I'll start the list in no particular order.
    American numismatic rarities
    Pinnacle rarities
    Heritage rare coin galleries
    David Lawrence
    Larry Whitlow
    Legend Numismatics
    Stack's
    Bowers and Merena (really just an auction house)
    Superior Galleries

Do members of the coin board have a comfortable swap and sale tradition between themselves as do the sportscard guys?
    Absolutely, check out the BST board.

Edited to add: I'll stop for now and let others handle your questions so you can get other opinions.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Who are the trusted online coin dealers?
    I would agree with Jacktheknife on that one.

Does PCGS have a crossover service with pre-screening?
    I dont think so. They might do that at on-sight grading at the major coin shows.

Do members of the coin board have a comfortable swap and sale tradition between themselves as do the sportscard guys?
    Generally speaking, most people (collectors and dealers) prefer to use cash as a medium of trade. Most people are looking for specifics, so it's hard to get a match for a trade. I would say that the comradery here is very good. I just bought a coin from a collector here the other day. I put the payment in the mail the same day he put the coin in the mail. That's not infrequent among people that really "know" each other here. Also, I had a collector offer a coin to me first simply because I commented on it through the boards. He certainly wouldnt have any problems selling it elsewhere... so yes, this can be a friendly place to trade.

Also, there are some very opinionated people here. Ignore them, and things generally go better.

How does the coin registry work?
    You "add a new set" to the registry. Just plug your slab number in once you've opened the set, then validate the numbers, it'll put your set into the registry. The registry ranks your set against other people's. The more coins you have, the easier it is to get closer to the top. Once you get above 90% completion, that's when the quality of your coins become more of a factor in ranking.

Do the other coin grading services have collectors boards? I
    Yes, NGC has a similar board. It's fairly inactive compaired to the PCGS boards, though. I dont even frequent it anymore.

Is the rivalry between grading service collector advocates as fierce as it is in the sports card world? Etc...etc...etc...
    Well, I dont know how it is in the sports card world, but there are some die-hard PCGS only collectors around here. There are also a few NGC only collectors, though they are less prolific. If you want to heat things up, all you have to do is start a thread saying that you think NGC coins should be allowed in the PCGS registry... the fur will fly!

BTW... Welcome to the coin portion of the boards!
    David
  • Options

<< <i>Also, there are some very opinionated people here. Ignore them, and things generally go better. >>

I think your questions were summed up nicely, so as one newbie to another...image
    Keith
  • Options
    Welcome!

There are folks who do trades and giveaways on the "Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways" forum. There are also tons of posts to the "Buy, Sell & Trade - Coins" forum. I've done many deails with forum members and have had nothing but good experiences.
  • Options
    Gosh I generally like the dealer list that Jack the Knife put together, and I've bought from all of them. But Heritage and Bowers & Merena have never told me when one of their coins was overgraded, while the other dealers will.

I'd also add two great dealers: Wondercoin (on these boards) for moderns and Rare Coins of New Hampshire (Jon, who goes by the name "tonelover") for the 19th century.

Welcome and enjoy yourself,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Also a good dealer is Wayne Herndon.

Good Luck!!!

Dennis
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. I am a collector and I have not had a bad any bad experiences here. So get involved and enjoy.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.