Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mercury Dime Reverse Clash--Check it out!

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Here is the reverse of a Mercury Dime with a die clash. I put the image up side down, to make it easier to see. There is a clear outline of the hair/wing line on the left, and the Liberty's face outline is in the lower branches.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    Nice find, thanks for sharing!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    While these could be worn clash marks, it looks a bit too vague and mushy to be a case of clashed dies. Instead it appears to an example of "progressive indirect design transfer". That's a form of die deterioration in which the vague image of the opposite die is transferred through the medium of several thousand planchets. I've seen it before on Merc's, although it's more common on wheatback Lincoln cents (especially 1946-S, 1947-S, and 1948-S cents).
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see where a die could exhibit transfer. In a later die state, the constant pounding and resistance to it from the planchets, in areas of high relief, would fatigue a die and make that image happen.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file