Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Does this look "fake" to you

I am really trying to locate a nice example of this card without selling off a kidney, but this looks way to "grainy" to be real. Thoughts from some of the experts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4134646616&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certainly no expert on these, but I do have the three aviator cards from the set and I used to own a SK Babe Ruth. The grainy background, combined with the whiteness of the borders, would make me shy away from this one. It just doesn't look real IMHO. Also, it appears to me to be trimmed. The bottom and top borders look too narrow to me. If one was narrow, the other should be wider. Both on this card are narrow.

Bottom line...I'd stay away from this one.

Steve

'33 SK Bobby Jones

Edited to add card URL
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    fake
  • Options

second pic is from qualitycards. notice the differences
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I suppose it COULD be from the Sports Kings reprint set, but the seller cleary state all his cards are authentic and unaltered. I'm skeptical of the unaltered part because it does look trimmed. Why not ask him?

As for the grain, I think that is just a combination of a low-res. scan and over-sharpening in his photo editing app.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I sent a note, I realize it is a long weekend, but I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the opinions!

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options

compare with the Jones in question. especially the his name and the Sport Kings title. if that ain't a fake, i don't know what is
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He's sent over 1000 cards to PSA, but didn't send this one? Why not? It would pull in several times what a raw example would get.
    Also, the top left corner looks suspect. I think I"d give this one a pass.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    don't bother , he has no clue. he says they are authentic and unaltered except for the 34 gehrig whixh he is selling as is but thinks it is authentic.. the gehrig is an awful fake. his 52 mays is unaltered but there isn't any left or right border, even pro would have to reject that one.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Thanks for the real Jones card. Now that you say so, it doesn't even look like the reprint. No idea what that thing is (other than trimmed). A color photocopy?