Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are your storing and tracking secrets?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Lets make this thread about properly storing ans tracking your collection, be as specific as possible to help the newbies and the old timers that still havn't got a clue on how to store or track my..er...I mean their collection.

Whatcha got? Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Ray

NOTE: This post is emoicon free for clw's benifit.

Edited to add:

1. How do you decide where each coin will reside?
2. How do you find said coin in the future for reference?

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it?

(clw's favorite emoticon)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my collection at the Heritage website would a good start to tracking your coins a safety deposit box at your bank would be a good place to store them
  • Options

Good thread and question. My biggest interest pertains to the second part of your question. There are various database programs out there for tracking your coins and other info on them. I have just nave made the leap into this area, but it looks like it could be very valuable to tracking histories of coins and auction appearances, prices, etc.

Has anyone tried one of these programs and which one(s) is/are best?
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Ah, all you need is a spiral notebook and a pen!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an Excel spreadsheet that I created for the purpose of inventory and valuation of my coins.

My coins are in a safety deposit box.

Those are my secrets...pretty dull, eh?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, all you need is a spiral notebook and a pen! >>

Yes; that method is purty good too!
  • Options
    I track my items by #......... That is, I asign a unique number to each and every coin....... Even coins contained in a multi coin "capsule" set each get their own #..... Mint packaged proof sets and mint sets get one # for the entire set...... I also track where each piece is kept, when I bought it, from whom (if known), the purchase price, and keep a "notes" column too....... I DO NOT track current value as I really don't care, and the only time this is going to matter is after I'm dead and gone........ I'm "strong hands"........ a virtual "black hole" for numismatic items.......... Pieces come in......... Nothing ever leaves.........
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have an MS Access database that I built. A couple people around here may be using it, but i haven't heard much back from them. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I like it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should have better clearified my question.

I understand any numismatic with any type of serious collection has a safety deposit box. However, we do not keep all of our coin in the bank, heck there isn't enough boxes in all the banks to hold all the coins. So, my question to you is, where and how do you store and track the coin ins in your home (Not the location, or in a safe).

For example:

1. I attempted to locate some tuppaware that is air proof so I can add the silica packages to keep them dry.
    2. I plan to label the outside of the containers 1 thru whatever I end up with so I can track the coins on an excel database.
    3. This way, I can put all sorts of objects (Original mint packageing, 2 X 2's rolls) all in the same containers and still maintain tracking of them.
    4. For my Country sets, I have binders with 2 X 2's in them, thus far I have not had any problems just keeping them on the desk. There is not really high dollar value on them so they are left out in the open, but I still would like to properly preserve them.

I was wondering if I could learn anything from your tricks to better store and track my coins.

One problem I am having with my tracking is I have to many pages. I need to move them all over to one page. This way when I do a search, I can check the whole colelction at once. Just a though.

Any information would be nice.
    Ray

PS. I'm not concerned with the security of your coins, don't need to know if you have a safe and tuff like that, just the preservation of the coins is what I am searching for.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    i have a couple eagle albums for my type set. A coulpe boxes for other slabs, that's it. No big problems with tracking because I only have about 60 slabs.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file