Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need your help and advice

Greetings!
I just came into a coin collection, and among these are a number of foreign coins. I do not believe they are of much value, but still I will need to have them appraised to be sure. I am not a coin collector and what I know could be fit into a thimble.
On another forum I got excellent information on what to do with the U.S. coins in this group (redbook, etc.). How do I begin with foreign coins?
There are 2 or 3 Roman coins and 1 Byzantine coin in this group. How do I go about getting these checked out?
Also, I am including pictures of 1 coin, obviously British, dated 1797. I can't vouch for their quality, but maybe someone can tell me what this coin is?

Thank you!

Mogadeet

A friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting there beside you saying "Damn! That was fun!"

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is either a British 1797 one penny or two penny coin. Give me a minute and I'll look up which one.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    If the coin is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter it is a one penny, if it is about 1 3/4 inches then it is a two penny. My gut feeling it is a 2 penny coin worth about $10-15.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Is there an equivalent of the redbook for foreign coins?

Mogadeet
    A friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting there beside you saying "Damn! That was fun!"
    There is an equivalent to the Redbook for foreign coins, it is called the Krause catalog but it comes in 4 volumes - 1601-1700, 1701-1800, 1801-1900, and 1901 - current. Your local library should have the 1901-current volume and maybe an 19th C Krause.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • You might try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.
    Collector value of a coin depends on date, mint mark (if any), number minted and condition of a coin, including amount of wear, any dents, scratches or cleaning.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    If you can post pictures of the ancients here on the forums, someone can probably evaluate them over the internet (in most cases).
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • I'll try to post pictures. I doubt if they'll look like much, they're in poor condition, but I'll give it a try.

Mogadeet
  • If you list them by Country, Denomination, and Date we could also give you a range of possible values.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile