Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tillman killed by friendly fire

The Sad Price of War

Just glad that he was in Afghanistan, a place where we certainly needed to send our armed forces.

Comments

• Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    OK go back and reread it. Actually just reread the first line:

Pat Tillman probably was killed by friendly fire while leading his team of Army Rangers up a hill during a firefight in Afghanistan last month, the U.S. Army said Saturday.

So while it may be true they can not confirm it 100% so your title is FALSE at best. Please take the time and edit the title to reflect the TRUE report.

Tragic none the less.
  • Options
    thejamthejam Posts: 164
    ... the title is precisely PROBABLY TRUE
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Sad Price of War

Just glad that he was in Afghanistan, a place where we certainly needed to send our armed forces.

. >>

doesnt matter.. he still died fighting the enemy.. RIP Pat..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    "It does seem pretty clear that he was killed by friendly fire," Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told the Republic. Franks said his panel was alerted to the information by the Army's Legislative Liaison Office.

Ease up he came to an opinion.
    x
  • Options

<< <i>"It does seem pretty clear that he was killed by friendly fire," Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told the Republic. Franks said his panel was alerted to the information by the Army's Legislative Liaison Office.

Ease up he came to an opinion. >>

Actually he made an exact statement. It is unfounded and speculation at this time. It may be %99.9 closer to truth then fiction but the title says point blank:

"Tillman killed by friendly fire"

What would have been wrong with:

Tillman POSSIBLY killed by friendly fire or something along those lines to go more with the story?

There are ways of typing/phrasing things to get a "reaction" and or make a point. Usually that entails "bending" or blowing something out of context.

I just stated since his title was not 100% accurate he may want to edit it.
  • Options
    UnAmuzd1UnAmuzd1 Posts: 100

<< <i>There are ways of typing/phrasing things to get a "reaction" and or make a point. Usually that entails "bending" or blowing something out of context. >>

He also provided a link so that everyone could read and decide for themselves. If his intent were to deceive or mislead, he wouldn't have done that.

Everyone here is relatively intelligent and (usually) civilized. Trust that we can form our own opinions based on the article. I agree that he could have added a "hedge" word or two to the title - but in the long run, it really doesn't matter.

Morrie
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are ways of typing/phrasing things to get a "reaction" and or make a point. Usually that entails "bending" or blowing something out of context. >>

but in the long run, it really doesn't matter.

Morrie >>

In the long run to most. Some though it might. Specially prior service, ones that have lost family, friends, loved ones, etc.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    The man laid his life down in the line of duty, that's the bottom line. Here's IMO another unfortunate example of the media not letting go of something, because it needs to be sensationalized so they can get their paycheck. First reports I saw was that this Patriot's vehicle was blown by a land mine. Why can't it just be left at that? The media presses the politicans for more, because of his noteriety. Then some self serving politician digs into it because he wants to be recognized. Sick and sicker.

Fact or fiction in this instance, friendly fire has/is/will always be a potential for casualties in any conflict. What is the point of further circulating this? I heard a clip on the radio today asking his father about the report, and his response was that his son died doing what he thought was right to protect his country. Why do we have to diminsh what happened, and turn it into something more than it is. We should just honor Pat Tillman for his conviction and patriotism.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Fact or fiction in this instance, friendly fire has/is/will always be a potential for casualties in any conflict. What is the point of further circulating this? I heard a clip on the radio today asking his father about the report, and his response was that his son died doing what he thought was right to protect his country. Why do we have to diminsh what happened, and turn it into something more than it is. We should just honor Pat Tillman for his conviction and patriotism. >>

well said..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Dirty Harry is right. The Tillman tragedy should have been left alone. However, I have a feeling their was some bipartisanship at work here. Tillman was painted as a hero giving his life all the way around the globe. It added soem patriotism to our national psyche. I'd bet the democrats were the ones that kept in pursuit of the real occurrence. I'm sure they threatened or were about to leak the story to show how stupid our war is. The Armed Forces probably didn't have a choice. It's better that they release the report than for it to leak out through manipulative journalism. This next election is really going to focus on the war in Iraq. The Republicans are going to paint the necessity and successes we've had to make their case, The democrats are going to attack the war vehemently. Regardless of whether we should be there or not, our kids are the most important thing. You have to support he brave people over there. Just beware that the democrats will paint this as Bush's personal war, entered with out counsel and executed without an exit strategy. Democrats will say each life lost could have been avoided. That's powerful. The chaos friendly fire implies is a handy tool for the democrats. I just wish that our fallen can be laid to rest in peace. It doesn't matter how they died. Each was loved by someone and to cause any additional pain is ludicrous.

S.
  • Options

<< <i>In the long run to most. Some though it might. Specially prior service, ones that have lost family, friends, loved ones, etc. >>

As has been pointed out elsewhere in the thread, it doesn't matter in the long run, because everyone who has lost someone they loved in the service of our country knows what the sacrifice men like Pat Tillman made actually means. Whether he was killed by enemy fire or friendly fire, he died protecting our freedom. I really don't see how the failure to use "probably" will make it hurt any worse for his family. A hero is gone, no matter what words we use to describe it.

Morrie
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In the long run to most. Some though it might. Specially prior service, ones that have lost family, friends, loved ones, etc. >>

As has been pointed out elsewhere in the thread, it doesn't matter in the long run, because everyone who has lost someone they loved in the service of our country knows what the sacrifice men like Pat Tillman made actually means. Whether he was killed by enemy fire or friendly fire, he died protecting our freedom. I really don't see how the failure to use "probably" will make it hurt any worse for his family. A hero is gone, no matter what words we use to describe it.

Morrie >>

Its called respect.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    What would've been really disrespectful to Tillman and any other soldier killed in battle is to pretend he was killed by enemy gunfire when in fact he was killed by friendly fire.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>What would've been really disrespectful to Tillman and any other soldier killed in battle is to pretend he was killed by enemy gunfire when in fact he was killed by friendly fire. >>

Or not knowing the full story (which we will probably never know) and "speculate".
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Sorry to break this to you, but he WAS killed by friendly fire. For whatever reason, you may not choose to believe it, but do you really think the military would hold such a press conference if they thought there was any chance he was NOT killed by friendly fire?

Here's the quote from the article. "According to the Army's investigation, Tillman's team had split from a second unit when a Ranger whom the Army did not identify fired on a friendly Afghan soldier, mistaking him for the enemy.

Seeing that gunfire and not realizing its origin, other U.S. soldiers fired in the same direction, killing Tillman and an Afghan soldier. Two other Rangers were wounded in the gunfight."

Nuff said. Let it go man. Let it go.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Sorry must have miss read the article. Seeing all the probably and could haves I thought it was still not 100%.
  • Options

<< <i>Whether he was killed by enemy fire or friendly fire, he died protecting our freedom. >>

That sums it up quit well!!

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whether he was killed by enemy fire or friendly fire, he died protecting our freedom. >>

That sums it up quit well!!

Skip >>

To true and I will shut my yap.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To true and I will shut my yap. >>

You're a good guy Aknot - Happy Memorial Day!
    Stone's throw from ya
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To true and I will shut my yap. >>

You're a good guy Aknot - Happy Memorial Day!
    Stone's throw from ya
    Mike >>

Back at ya and your loved ones. And to everyone (yes EVERYONE) else:

Hope you and yours a happy and safe Memorial Day.