Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BCCG 9 Crossover

Will a BCCG 9 generally crossover to at least a PSA 8? Please let me know your experiences before I do something stupid (again).

Thanks - Gatorbait

Comments

• Options
    I've TRIED to cross two BCCG to PSA. One a BCCG 9 Stallworth rookie=PSA 5.. The other a BCCG 9 Bowman Chrome McNabb RC=PSA 7.. I gave both cards to my 6 year old nephew.. Very tough call...

Chad
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Sounds like Beckett really dropped the ball on that Stallworth. You can generally count on losing at least 1 grade when crossing BCCG to PSA, often 2. You may have better luck by cracking out and submitting raw, then you avoid any possible bias or contempt the grader may feel for BCCG. If your ultimate goal is to resell it to some teenage reader of Beckett Monthly, best leave it in its current holder. You probably got it cheap compared to PSA, so you'd still make the same % profit, if any, upon resale as you would if you bought as PSA. Beckett people obviously hold BCCG in higher esteem than PSA people do.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    why would anyone who is serious into collecting have a BCCG card in their collection? That sounds
    like a waste to me.

Kevin
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    js is right, I am not sure the level of grading expertise that goes into a BCCG card, but it to me is just like buying raw. No experienced hobbyist gives the BCCG brand any weight, and the above examples bear that out. Unless you are looking in person at the card itself, be very careful.
  • Options
    Good question Joestalin.. I got mine in a crazy trade. I didn't crack them out, maybe PSA has some ill feelings against BCCG- I do.. I think the only reason BCCG is popular is because everyone wants to own "10" cards. It's just to bad that they won't even come close to that grade. Sounds kind of stupid. BCCG 10: Mint or better??? Who's the clown who thunk this up? Mr, Beckett himself?

Chad
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    BCCG is a joke and a crapshoot. BGS would be the only "crack and resubmit" chance I would take on a crossover (besides SGC and GAI) to PSA.

Has anyone tried to cross any BVG's? I imagine that would be funnier than the BCCG crossover results.

Having 3 different grading scales within the same grading company (Beckett) is crazy.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I had one. I cracked and submitted to PSA.. BVG 8=edv.of trimming.. Go figure! I also gave that to my nephew.. I no longer buy anything from beckett.

Chad
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    My BVG crossovers (back when I was doing that) were all over the place. I always cracked and submitted raw. I once had a BVG 6.5 Koufax become PSA 8. But then I've had BVG 8 become "evid. trimming" and BVG 7 become PSA 4 because of a wrinkle Beckett missed. There is no way to know how it will go based on a scan on eBay. BCCG is a different horse, you can count on losing 2 grades on a raw resubmit, 1 if you're quite lucky. Never ever heard of a BCCG 9 or 10 turning into a PSA 9 or 10.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Beckett people obviously hold BCCG in higher esteem than PSA people do. >>

I don't think ANYONE holds BCCG in any kind of esteem. It is a complete joke. But, Beckett is still making money on it. BVG was a novel idea, just didn't work very well. The problem is having three different grading companies with 3 different standards. They shoulda just stuck to the original BGS where they at least had some respect.

I think most of the BCCG cards you see are from dealers who submitted stacks of cards to BGS/PSA etc and got 8's and lower and decided to try and recoup their money by submitting in bulk to BCCG. Hey, it's only $3 / card. Basically you're paying $3 for an enclosed toploader since the grade obviously doesn't help the value at all. image
  • Options
    So, you're saying I should buy it, right?
  • Options
    What is it? Maybe someone on the board has a PSA graded that would save you time and grief. I honestly think the cross over is a shot in the dark. I'd personally stay away, unless it's dirt cheap. and I mean cheap..

Chad
  • Options
    If it's not less than 10-15% of book, I'd stay away. Very far away.
    Plus you said it's a bccg 9? I'd avoid it anyway unless it's something you just can't live without and it's very cheap. Buying it for a resubmit is pretty risky. If BCCG is giving it a 9 which is really a "first glance" 7, then depending on the card, it's probably not worth it.

I would say ask yourself this question.
    How much would I pay for this card if it were a PSA 6/7? If the answer is I would pay more than a BCCG 9, then buy it. If the answer is, I Wouldn't buy it or less than a BCCG 9 then I'd stay away.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Classic example of why to stay away. Look at the centering, what do you think it would cross? Also, look at the money it's bringing.. Makes me ILL..

LINK
  • Options
    That's not centering my friend, that's MISCUT!

It would probably cross to PSA, but it would have an (MC) qualifier and be essentially worthless. I'd rather have one with softer corners but equal borders all the way around. Notice too this guy has a lot of BGS graded cards for sale and this one BCCG card.. that should tell you something. BGS probably graded it and it got a 3 for centering so it came back a 3.5 or something so he cracked it. That card probably is a PSA 6 or 7 (MC)

Definitely not worth $70. At 30 I would've said maybe....
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I'm out of toilet paper. I think I'll buy the Montana card.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    That thing is a diamond in the rough my friends.
  • Options
    bill7549bill7549 Posts: 182
    I don't think the Montana is a miscut, but it is one of the nastiest diamond cut cards I've seen in a while. PSA probably wouldn't go any higher than a 6 on it.

On another note, I've got a BCCG 9 and a PSA 8 1960 Yastrzemski. At first glance, the PSA card looks worse than the BCCG one, but on closer inspection, there's a nice corner bend on the BCCG card. Probably a 6 at the absolute best from PSA, and probably a 5. Bummer...because when I got back into the hobby, I paid PSA 7 prices for the BCCG card.

On the brighter side of things...I did run out of shooting targets, and the BCCG cards make excellent target replacements.
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    Has anyone ever crossed a BVG to BGS or vise-versa? I'm just wondering if the standards for BVG are different? Not that I care, I'm just curious..

Chad
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    You cannot cross a BVG card to BGS. However, if you have a pre-1980 card graded by BGS I suppose you could cross it to BVG. It would probably come back with a much higher grade as BGS had the perception of being killer graders on vintage cards when they first started.