Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Oh, the horror of it....... the absolute horror.

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Gotta believe that the butcher ain't scalping that one at that price.
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    Hmm, doesn't this seem to be pushing the envelope of what this "dealer" can get away with? Once this card resurfaces post-haircut, wouldn't most (if not all) serious prospective buyers of the card know better? It seems like it's one thing to turn a well-known Topps (pick your year) PSA 6 Mantle into a PRO 9 that nets a profit ... but quite another to take such a scarcity in high-grade like this and slip one past the typical high-end collector.

Maybe the goal with this one is simply to get a legit crossover to a "better" holder? Or maybe that's just me looking at a half-full glass ...
  • Options
    Or, what Vargha said in a less verbose manner image
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    So what's the angle?

clearly the card is too angled/skewed/miscut as-is to garner a PSA 7.

• Options
    Beats me - what would a GAI 7.5 bring?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"m betting a half grade or better bump from the "new" SGC

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He also just bought a PSA 7 1969 White Letter Gaylord Perry. I wish this guy would find another scam and leave the vintage cards alone.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He also just bought a PSA 7 1969 White Letter Gaylord Perry. I wish this guy would find another scam and leave the vintage cards alone. >>

i think we should star cutting up 1952 Mantles and pasting little swatches of them on to new cards and insert them at a rate of 1:2914782129 packs.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i think we should star cutting up 1952 Mantles and pasting little swatches of them on to new cards and insert them at a rate of 1:2914782129 packs. >>

The thought of a card company doing that has actually crossed my mind.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Geez, with horror story after horror story, it convinces me that legitimate high grade PSA cards will go way up in the future. Unaltered cards will be a rarity at the pace that scams are going. And the thought of inserting a cut up 1952 Mantle into modern packs, is just sick, but absolutely a possibility. It makes you feel like hoarding good cards to stop this junk.
  • Options

<< <i>I"m betting a half grade or better bump from the "new" SGC >>

Griffins . I think you nailed it. He certainly has taken a greater interest in SGC cards since his buddy bought the company
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    It's not like high grade Wilsons come up every day. He moves this into a new holder and tries to flip it - even if it's done under someone else's ID - it'll draw all kinds of attention. Just for posterity's sake, there's currently 1 graded of each from 84, 86, and 88.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    if he cuts that up , he is dumber than we all think. anyone looking to purchase this card is not going to buy it in a pro holder. has a pro card ever sold for 10k? sounds like he is looking ofr the bump as others have mentioned , these guys are going to bring down sgc. it's pretty sad as they are a quality grading company
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Murcerfan,

Why didn't you buy at that price? If I had seen that auction, I may have put a bid in on it. Cool set with some nice looking cards that don't ever need to be cut up and sent in for grading. That would be a nice set to keep uncut in raw condition.

JEB.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Those uncut panels are perfect for syzygy3.14
    Right up his alley.
    This is actually quite exciting as there will be a few more high grade singles to add to the population reports.
  • Options
    my e-snipe failed.
    plus........... I already own a real nice set
  • Options
    PRO has pop reports?
  • Options
    Maybe PSA would holder the Johnston panels in their T3 holders. At $35 per holder, however, the slabs will cost more than the cards themselves
  • Options
    The Aaron in PSA 9 will run you around 2.5-3 K
    and dropping by the minute.
  • Options
    I think Wayne Varner has his for sale at $9000 still.
  • Options
    well sure, he probably has to work very hard to bring you such delightful offerings.

edited to add:
    not to mention potential legal fees from having had his name named here.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I think I'm missing something on the Wilson Franks card. Are you saying it's already trimmed and somehow got past SGC, or that the buyer's habit is to break them out and give them a "haircut"? Doesn't seem to make sense when paying $8K to begin with. If PSA won't do a straight cross, the card's in its best home already.
  • Options
    ReidReid Posts: 35
    The Ted Williams card will most likely end up in a GAI 8.5 holder and the Moser-Schwartz duo will probably triple their money on this one. It's all about ass kissing. Just ask BOTN.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Not bitter at all, are ya skippy?

<< <i>The Ted Williams card will most likely end up in a GAI 8.5 holder and the Moser-Schwartz duo will probably triple their money on this one. It's all about ass kissing. Just ask BOTN. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>Not bitter at all, are ya skippy? >>

Nope. I don't collect refractors.
  • Options
    Bummer. Most of us refractor collectors are pretty happy guys. We even help each other out. We don't beat each other up...

biding against one another.

<< <i>

<< <i>Not bitter at all, are ya skippy? >>

Nope. I don't collect refractors. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    waittilyoutrytosell
  • Options
    waittilyoutrytogotocleveland

<< <i>waittilyoutrytosell >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>schr1st
    Veteran

Tuesday June 01, 2004 4:23 PM

waittilyoutrytogotocleveland >>

schr1st, it's probably not the best idea to threaten someone on a public message board.

• Options
    I think the card would certainly get a PSA 7. I have seen more than a few PSA 8s with similar centering.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    Well, I took your "waittilyoutrytosell" as a threat as well, since I do sell on eBay from time to time. Hmm, should I even bother reading your PM? Hope it doesn't contain anything offensive, or eles it's going to the moderator.

<< <i>

<< <i>schr1st
    Veteran

Tuesday June 01, 2004 4:23 PM

waittilyoutrytogotocleveland >>

schr1st, it's probably not the best idea to threaten someone on a public message board. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I took your "waittilyoutrytosell" as a threat as well, since I do sell on eBay from time to time. Hmm, should I even bother reading your PM? Hope it doesn't contain anything offensive, or eles it's going to the moderator. >>

schr1st/troll,

You are well aware that my "waittilyoutrytosell" comment was a direct reference to your comment about refractor collectors being happy. Not even you could be stupid enough to interpret my comment any other way. You are also well aware that your "waittilyoutrytogotocleveland" comment was a direct threat of physical violence.

You'll report me to the moderator? That's very amusing. What will you tell the moderator?

"Hey moderator, I received a PM from this guy Reid that I've been stalking, harassing and threatening."

Keep it up, schr1st, and I'm sure you'll find yourself banned from this forum.

Reid Colello
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    schr1st gave the short form.

The long form of what he was saying is:
    waitilyoutrytogotoclevelandandfindyourroomisnexttomikewentz

I suspect Griffins is right. It's also possible that Moser has a legitimate buyer for that card and bought it to flip at a profit.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>The long form of what he was saying is:
    waitilyoutrytogotoclevelandandfindyourroomisnexttomikewentz
    >>

Not to be confused with last year's version:

waitilyoutrytowalkbacktoyourcarinchicagotohavesomeonefollowyououtsidetobeatyoudown
  • Options
    Actually, that was 2 years ago, Kobe. Last year was NJ (my first National).

And I'm the troll?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    You are also well aware that your "waittilyoutrytogotocleveland" comment was a direct threat of physical violence.

maybe he was referencing the fact that BMW has been banned from so many shows at this point, that the National will eventually be included on that list............but I'm just guessing.

edited to say:
    hopefully not, as they always have some pretty cards to look at in their "museum".
  • Options
    I think the card would certainly get a PSA 7. I have seen more than a few PSA 8s with similar centering.

it's not the centering at issue, but the diamond/parallelogram cut of the card
  • Options
    <<It's all about ass kissing. Just ask BOTN. >>

Nobody ever accused you of not having a twisted sense of humor.
  • Options
    Actually, my comment wasn't intended as any threat of violence. I'm a pacifist by nature, martial arts student by training, and would never hit anyone unless in defense of myself or someone else. Guess I'm quirky like that. I meant the Cleveland line since I still believe that you aren't who you say you are, and I do plan on going to Cleveland with more than a few items to have signed. I've got autograph tickets lined up for Mike Schmidt, Rocky Colavito, and Kareem. I'm just hoping that my big score from the show is an autographed police report from a different Mike. That's all, nothing more. It was more of a snappy comeback than anything else.

Quick question: Will any parole violations occur at the National, with Jim Brown and Pete Rose appearing at the same show?

Back to the subject at hand, the Williams card that started this thread. I seriously hope that card doesn't get a trim, as that is one card I someday hope to add to my Ted Williams collection, and I don't want to have to worry any more than I already do about buying raw cards of his.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just hoping that my big score from the show is an autographed police report from a different Mike. That's all, nothing more. >>

<< <i> MW
    (no login)
    Reply April 23 2004, 1:10 AM

As for your other repeated accusation, I can tell you that I've never used physical violence on a customer.
    >>

• Options
    It depends upon what your definition of "is" is. - Bubba Clinton.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm just hoping that my big score from the show is an autographed police report from a different Mike. That's all, nothing more. >>

<< <i> MW
    (no login)
    Reply April 23 2004, 1:10 AM

As for your other repeated accusation, I can tell you that I've never used physical violence on a customer.
    >>

>>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>You are also well aware that your "waittilyoutrytogotocleveland" comment was a direct threat of physical violence.

maybe he was referencing the fact that BMW has been banned from so many shows at this point, that the National will eventually be included on that list............but I'm just guessing.

edited to say:
    hopefully not, as they always have some pretty cards to look at in their "museum". >>

Hopefully they will bring the two Mantle cards that were sent in for educational purposes.

• Options
    koby,

There's an interesting post about you on the SGC message board. It's a shame that you will no longer be able to make anonymous attacks.

Reid Colello
  • Options
    wrong image

• Options
    Hopefully they will bring the two Mantle cards that were sent in for educational purposes.

Maybe gone with a stain can partner up with BMW and hold a "world series of card doctoring" contest at the National.