Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for help - 1st time post

A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
Hi, I've never posted on this board before, I usually stick to sports cards & memorabilia... I need some help with the value of these older $20 gold coins, ranging from 1878 to 1924. I have no clue what they are worth nor what they would grade. I can't figure out the coin grading system. I presume they are worth a few thousand dollars, only because my grandparents paid $1400 for them in 1968. I see PCGS charges $30 a pop for grading, are any of these coins worth spending $30 to have graded, or are they worth similar values in ungraded form? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

$20 Gold Coins

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! You have a nice assortment of gold coins there. I would personally recommend getting all of them graded. I doubt that any of those are counterfeit from a quick glance but certification will increase people's confidence in the coin and increase the amount you can get for it. And with the certified grade you can look at PCGS's price guide and get a ballpark idea of a retail grade (if you sell to a dealer, you won't get retail).
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

It is hard to tell from the photo, but they all look mint state to me.

Do you have a local coin shop you could take them to and get their opinion?

If there is a PCGS dealer near you he could give you some advice regarding submitting to PCGS.

You can look for a PCGS dealer here.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest that the grading fee would be helpfull here. Once you have them graded you can determine the retail value by looking at prior auctions on Heritage or ebay.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Unfortunately, no one can give you an accurate estimate from a picture, as we couldn't tell if the coins have been abrasively cleaned or what exact grade they are.

All of your coins are what collectors call 'common' dates. Assuming the coins are genuine, they each contain 0.968 oz. of pure gold. US gold coins generally fetch a premium over the bullion value of the coin - say about 10% for $20 gold pieces, so a rough estimate of the coins' minimum value would be about $415 each or so if gold is $390/oz. (The premium the coins fetch over bullion varies with the price of bullion, the price difference between Coronet (up to 1907) and St. Gaudens (1908-1933) coins also varies. You could receive different offers from a local, small, dealer and a larger dealer, depending on how big a city you live in.)

However, if any of the coins are uncirculated, they could fetch more. You would probably need to have the coins graded and encapsulated by a third party service, such as PCGS or NGC to ensure they were uncirculated, however.

You may wish to find a local coin club to see if one of their members would be willing to look at the coins to determine their grade.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    I presume they are worth a few thousand dollars, only because my grandparents paid $1400 for them in 1968.

The 1968 acquisition price simply has no bearing whatever on the present market value for these coins, so just forget that $1400 figure -- it is meaningless for today's market values.

I see PCGS charges $30 a pop for grading, are any of these coins worth spending $30 to have graded

Without a doubt yes, if for no other reason than to verify authenticity. The photos are poor, but if the coins are authentic it looks like you have some nice coins any gold collector would be proud to own.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    Thanks for the quick replies... I didn't realize coins were are crooked as baseball cards with counterfeits and all. These coins haven't been touched by anyone since 1968, that much I know for certain, as my grandparents have owned them since then. I have no doubt they are authentic. I don't know if it was common practice prior to then to clean the coins, but I checked a couple out with a 10x loupe and they look like they suffer only from minor wear due to bumping with other coins. I cannot see any signs of consistent markings that would be caused by any type of abrasive cleaning. Anyways, I scanned one in very high resolution and added it to the link. I am in the Detroit area and there are several coin dealers in the area, so I will take one or two with me and see what they have to say after they examine it.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOLY COW! Nice set of gold, A761506!

I think your grandparents knew what they were doing.

Based on the pics, you have yourself quite a collection. Unless you plan on selling them, I wouldn't bother getting them certified. If you do sell them, be sure and keep one or two as keepsakes.

Once again, nice collection!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Yo AYEEEEE...Welcome!image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I didn't realize coins were are crooked as baseball cards with counterfeits and all.

Gold is particularly susceptible to counterfeiting -- while I don't think your particular coins are major counterfeiting targets and they look real to me, as nwcs said, certification will greatly increase the confidence of potential purchasers, which in-and-of-itself is worth the price of certification.

Don't clean them. And I note you have the gold pieces in the cardboard 2x2s -- those holders are disfavored because the staples can scratch the other coins. Don't let that happen, and do not ship the coins in those damn things.

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Get a PCGS platinum membership and send 'em in using the free grades-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    Nice collection there. Gold is at about $388.00 an oz, plus add some for the collectors value .

20 Coins total. (10 libs, 10 saints)

x = number of saint gaundens
    For the saint gaudens: $420* (per saint gauden)(x) = Amount of money is worth in x amount of saint gaudens.
    y = number of 20$ libertys
    For the libertys: $420* (per liberty)(y) = Amount of money worth in y amount of liberty.

(y) + (x) = Total amount of money for collection.

Please note but this is just a rough estimate.

Ok, so you have 10 saints.

$420(10) = $4,200

Ok, you have 10 libertys.

$420(10) = $4,200

Your total collection of gold that you showed is worth at least $8,400

Note: If you certified your gold coins, it would most likely increase the value of your gold coins. Try PCGS, or ANACS if you don't want it guarenteed to be slabbed (Unless counterfeit).

*Assuming the average per liberty/saint is $420.00.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Def. send them to PCGS...It will be alot easier to value them...and some could jump in price. Worst case...you find out some are fake, but still made of real gold. Send em!
  • Options
    Gold is at about $488.00 an oz

Ok, so you have 8 saints. . . . Ok, you have 31 libertys.

Obverse and Reverse

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    $488...$388...what's a few bucks among friends?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy smokes! That's a great set of coins! Get them graded if for nothing else at least to protect them in encapsulation. AWESOME!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Ack, I guess I should correct that!! image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    20 coins total, if you count the obverse and reverse there is 40-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Gold is at about $388.00 an oz

Warmer, but still, no. (PipeDream, how'd you mess that one up?) Hey GoldCoinLover, are you related to the Fastows?

• Options

<< <i>Gold is at about $388.00 an oz

Warmer, but still, no. (PipeDream, how'd you mess that one up?) Hey GoldCoinLover, are you related to the Fastows? >>

God dam*, does it have to be perfect? According to PCGS I'm 40 cents off. I'm just trying to help this person out, I don't know Fastows.
  • Options

<< <i>20 coins total, if you count the obverse and reverse there is 40-------------BigE >>

Thank you for the correction image
  • Options
    I like the 1888-S for $85!!!!

Yes, there were counterfeiters before 1968. Yes, it was common to clean coins before 1968. Many of those coins show mint luster. So basically I agree with all the advice so far, get them certified! Go with PCGS or NGC. If any get bagged for cleaning then send them to ANACS for a net grade.

That is, unless you are getting interested in these coins? If so you have a good start and may want to buy some dates you don't have yet? And no, I don't have any to sell image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    My recommendation is to have them graded by pcgs , a grade point here a grade point there can add up to a large amount of money
    Michael
  • Options
    Reviving a 3 year old post here... thanks to those of you who originally posted... it's kind of funny to read this in retrospect, seeing how gold values have increased by over 70% since my original post on May 27, 2004.

Nearly 3 years after receiving advice from you guys on here, I recently pulled 8 of them, joined PCGS, and they just posted the grades today:

1 1 11334296 8987 1878-S $20 US AU55
    2 1 11334297 9000 1883-S $20 US AU58
    3 1 11334298 9009 1888-S $20 US MS61
    4 1 11334299 9045 1904 $20 US MS62
    5 1 11334300 9165 1914-D $20 US MS63
    6 1 11334301 9175 1923 $20 US MS64
    7 1 11334302 9180 1925 $20 US MS64
    8 1 11334303 9183 1926 $20 US MS63

-Josh
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    VERY NICEimage Congrats on them.....image Aren't you glad you didn't sell them in 04??? I hadn't seen this thread and was reading thru and osmeone said gold at $388 and I thought WHAT!!!??? Then I looked at the date and realized... that was then, this is now. GL whatever you decide to do with them....
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will definately take that 88-s off your hands for the $85 asking price.image
    Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file