Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1962 Topps does not have green tint variation

I have always thought that the 1962's were produced with a different mixture of ink colors in the second series. I was sorting through 5000 1962 Topps baseball cards and discovered that I was wrong. every card that I would have thought was a green tint was actually set differently. Frank Howards right had is closer to the edge, hat is farther away from the top and less of his belt shows on the "green tint" card. Kasko's image is also located differently, more of letters showing, right arm farther away from edge, less red sleeve on left arm showing on "green tint" card.

I did find that there are red tints in the fifth series.

Funny what you can find after pricing a few thousand cards.

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Marty -

This website deals with 1963 Topps football cards,
    but some of the same concepts may apply to 1962 baseball cards with the green or red tints.

It's interesting to see how they played around with the colors back then.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    It is my understanding the 2nd series cards were originally issued as "Green Tints" and were later corrected by Topps. This would explain the different cropping of the photos. PSA recognizes 2 versions of #139 "Babe Hits 60" card; the green tint card has a foul pole (still think it should be called a "fair pole" because the its a fair ball if the pole is hit and not a foul ball - but that's a topic for a different thread) and in the regular or corrected version the card is cropped wherein the foul pole does not appear. See scan.Babe Hits 60

I have never heard of anyone officially recognizing "Red Tints".
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    The green tinits are legitimate variations printed from new press plates with color corrected film. The red "tint" is merely a byproduct of inconsistent printing. All vintage cards have some degree of this inconsistency. The magenta (red) ink obviously is run heavier on the deeper red cards and lighter on the faded cards. Simply means the pressman fell asleep and didn't stabilize the ink density. The variations can be extreme and I think the cards Marty has posted show the different ends of that spectrum.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Gee, I thought the 1958 Yellow Letter variations were tough, but that 1962 set is crazy. Great set Seinbigd. There are 4 variations of card #139....Hal Reniff portrait, Reniff pitching, Babe with pole and Babe without pole. And of course, card #159 is.....Hal Reniff!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the green tint card has a foul pole and in the regular or corrected version the card is cropped wherein the foul pole does not appear

<< <i>

If you look close you can see the foul pole in both variations. It actually looks like the image is shifted over to the right on the green tint version. The green tint shows less of the blue sign on the right side than the regular version and more of the foul pole on the left side than the regular version.

The biggest difference I saw in these cards in the dirt around home plate. In the green tint version, it looks like it is all grass with no dirt.