Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Star Wars cards

I know there are at least a couple people here who collect the 1977 Star Wars cards, so I thought I'd post this. Topps is creating a Star Wars Heritage set, coming out in September. Link and promo list. No pics yet, but I'm hoping they can do a good job. IMHO, the first set was a classic, but the ESB and ROTJ sets were rather blah. The last 2 movies had "Widevision" (tall boy) cards, and they were nice, but it didn't recapture the feeling, just as the movies fell short as well. But if these sets can combine the quality of baseball Heritage with all the modern bells as whistles like they did with the Lord Of The Rings movie sets, this will be quite a good set. Hmmmm...autographs of Lucas, Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Samuel L. Jackson, McGregor, Portman, Neeson, etc., costume cards, rare chrome parallels. Better start saving my money now, I might have to build a master set.

Sorry for the redundant posts. I guess we all got the email at the same time.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Thats pretty funny! I collected the original cards back in the last 70's and early 80's,I think I
    still have them too! I remember the stickers too. If this is a cheap rip I will buy some, but if
    topps is expecting this to be another sports release then forget about it, this should be fun
    not an investment.

Can't wait

Kevin
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭

<< <i>but if topps is expecting this to be another sports release then forget about it, this should be fun
    not an investment.

Can't wait

Kevin >>

Fat chance:

"Additionally, a select number of well-known Star Wars actors have agreed to come on board and provide their signatures for autograph cards. Participating artists, celebrity signers and other exciting content will be detailed prior to publication through the Company’s website, "
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    dang it!! when i saw the JS heritage thread i was thinking of an update or traded set for the b.b. issue. i always thought the star wars cards were cool but i'm going to pass. i'll keep the money in my heritage b.b. war chest for the '05 heritage.
    as far as the update set the more i think about it , it's probably just as well....i find myself saying that alot lately.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    highend..bite your tounge...topps has yet to reel us in with an update set. I think the day you do that
    you take the fun out of the collectors hands. Almost forcing them to buy this product and most likely
    it will be watered down.

I think topps can keep the price down on this one, there is no way you can compare the cost of autos
    of todays baseball players to some of the star wars actors. Actually autos of them have already been
    put out in another product....I was "lucky" enough to pull the guy who played Greedo.

Obviously Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones would be huge pulls...the Willie Mays of the autos?

Of course Yoda would be a SP and what about that C3PO with the erection? Anyone remember that?

JS
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Regarding Heritage Update sets, I think they should. It's their most popular set so far this year, and probably will remain so, except for Bowman Chrome and that's a completely different product. Actually, I think they should have gone the whole route with these retro sets and issued them like they did originally, 6 series 6 weeks apart. They can catch up on trades without resorting to Photoshop, and it's a continuous hunt for the right boxes.

Anyway, they of course could easily screw up SWH, but I'll be eagerly awaiting it. I'm hoping for the whole set to be in the original '77 design.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Of course Yoda would be a SP and what about that C3PO with the erection? Anyone remember that?

JS >>

lol.. i remember that.. they did a segment about it on one of those VH1 80's shows too..

BTW: Still got the greedo?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this should be fun >>

I agree, if we could get together on this one and keep the costs down. Take a look at this BASE set. Check this out. Star wars 2101!
    Phantom of the 70's
    Mike
  • Options
    What are the chances of me pulling a Boba Fett Piece of the Galaxy autographed helmet card numbered 1 out of 1?
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    UnAmuzd1UnAmuzd1 Posts: 100
    I actually have a hard time imagining Lucas allowing authentic props to be cut up. Having done some work for one of their big licensees in the past, it just doesn't "feel" like something they'd approve of.

Anything's possible, but I didn't notice anything in the release that led me to believe the inserts would go much beyond autographs.

That being said... there are hundreds of props that I'd love to own a little piece of. Even if it's just a slab of movie-worn Stormtrooper armor, I'd buy a few boxes to try and get one. image

Morrie
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    cool logo too.

imageimage
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Stone193: that was amusing! "All your base are belong to us!"image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stone193: that was amusing! "All your base are belong to us!" >>

Akbar
    All your base are belong tu us was written from Japanese with poor translation but a lot of people picked up on it with the voice of doom type language.
    Phantom of the 70's
    edit: lost the other link and found this one
    Mike