Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have a question about a badly graded PSA 9 Elton Brand card

I purchased a 1999 Topps Chrome Elton Brand #115 graded 9 NQ by PSA on E-Bay. The certification number is 01807273. I examined the card when it was delivered and there is a huge fingerprint and several print smudhes on the front surface of the card...or on the inside of the sealed PSA holder. They ARE NOT on the outside of the holder.

My dilemma is what to do. It IS graded a PSA Mint 9. Do graders not grade for fingerprints? Is there a way I can go through PSA, or should I simply return the card and ask for a refund? Perplexed in So. Cal.

Comments

• helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Fingerprints are not part of the card, so they don't get graded. Really egregious smudges might get deductions but I've never heard of it definitely. The people at PSA handling the cards are supposed to wear gloves to prevent this, but I've heard numerous stories contrary to this. They won't clean a card for you, and they never own up to making prints. Of course, the print could be from the original submitter. Ask him for a fingerprint and compare image.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • all the chrome are very easy to leave a fingerprint on. Psa should clean them( if they left the mark).
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    When I was watching the grader from GAI in KC a couple weeks back, he didn't wear gloves, but he did do a quick wipe with a soft towel before & after he was done. He was a grader at PSA so I don't know if GAI does things the same way or not... Just some info I thought I would share.
  • The card is not badly graded, because this happened to me a couple of years ago. I submitted a bunch of Bowman Chrome and since i was the original submitted they did not have fingerprints when i sent them in. They were returned with lots of fingerprints i think PSA had an unhappy employee at the time. The fingerprints were probably put on after they were graded.