Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Look at this...

I thought I'd over-paid for this GAI Marino, but after I received it I think it's beautiful!! What do you think, overgraded?? Thanks Guys

Chad
LINK

Comments

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    looks good.
    what did you pay for it?

and is it over the SMR for a PSA 9?
    If not then you did good, since it would easily
    appear to cross to a PSA 9,
    but if youpaid a lot more, then you might have over paid,
    because it might not be a 10 if crossed over....

imageimage
  • Options
    That's a d@!$ good lookin' card. image
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Well, If it's only worth PSA 9 money I'm definitely in trouble. Now I almost don't want to say what I paid!!

Chad
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    cspeier1 - Nice card! I do not think that you overpaid. That would likely cross over to PSA or SGC, or whomever, if you decided to go that route and if it does not who cares? It looks great in the holder, it probably compares well to any GEM MINT Marino rookie on the market.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad,
    That card is beautiful. I really think you should start working on a Marino registry set and sell me all your Dorsett's that I'm lacking!image

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Abe, NO THANKS on starting a Marino set!! I'm working on a project for both of us. I've found and located some Dorsett PSA 10 7-11 discs east and west. I've also sent some to be graded. When I get the details worked out I'll give you a email..

Also, aro13.. Thanks for the kind words. I'll probably never try to cross it.. I also like the holder..

Chad
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad,
    WOW! Keep me posted on the Dorsett discs! I really thought that the Dorsett registry would be boring but it's turned out to be more fun than any of my others! The competition adds to it also.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    There was a thread a while back talking about GAI 9's crossing to PSA 10 holders. I think GAI does a nice job, I've seen some cards in their 9 holders that I definitely would consider cracking and resubmitting to another company. Their holders are nice and I like the fact the put the indicative data on the top too so you can see what card it is without pulling it out. That's kinda cool, though it doesn't always seem to line up right. Their holders are classy looking, I think. Put it in your private collection and let it sit. image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i wouldnt bother trying to cross it over.. it looks great like it is.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I concur. Do not touch it. Im now "swaying" to send my 123 to GAI. I have one (actually 2) that I got from a set I bought off (sorry cant remember who) a user here. One is GREAT looking. But I get my hopes high.........
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Since you asked, I don't think this would be a PSA 10. PSA 9, maybe, though.

Things I notice:

1. Right edge: Some minor chips.

2. Lower-right corner: A bit soft.

3. Blue "QB" triangle under the word "Dolphins": Some snow, including a big snowfake.

4. Just above Marino's helmet: Some lint, or something... hopefully not a scratch.
  • Options
    I might agree, but if PSA grades this card a 9 then go back and click on my PSA 9 Elway. If that card is a PSA 9, the guy who graded it was smokeing crack.. Please go back and look..

Chad
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I just got a PSA 8 94 SP Arod off of ebay. the one I sent in had the usual small amount of chipping on the back top edge. I got an 8. I sold it for $100 in KC a couple weeks ago. This PSA 8 I got off ebay I expected to be just as nice, or at least close. (I paid $73) I sincerely believe if I cracked this card out it would be a PSA 6 at best. Every corner is missing color on the back, the top edge is chipped just like mine was, and the front shows visible corner wear. Sometimes you compare and it just doesn't make sense. I shoulda gone the "crack & resubmit" route with mine instead.

I always hate when you compare similar grades on similar cards and there is a huge discrepency.

Sometimes the hardest thing though is being critical of something you own.

Keep it in the 9.5 GAI holder and when there stuff starts making a push on the $$$ like BGS/PSA/SGC then think about selling it and picking up one graded by someone else if you want. You can't go wrong having a card like that, especially in a 9.5 holder that isn't from PRO. image
  • Options
    sorry to sound harsh, but that elway is AWFUL!!! if that elway is a 9 then that marino should cross to a psa 13! i would keep it just like it is. good pickup, and i'd search for a gai 9.5 elway.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I have had GAI 9.5's cross to 9's, and occasionally to 10's, but it depends on the card. I agree that you are taking a chance if you cross it, but I wouldn't pay more than a PSA 9 price for any other companies 9 (or 9.5), and often much less. I do think this card is a nice example of a tough card, but jrinck hits some key points that might relegate this to PSA 9 status.
  • Options
    VincecarderVincecarder Posts: 1,852
    Your Elway PSA 9 is a freaking joke. That card does NOT look like it's Mint and I bet if you send it in again it will get an 8. Your GAI 9.5 looks like a Gem Mint by any grading standards and whatever you paid it's worth it. As many people say...buy the card not the case. Your GAI 9.5 looks like one of the cleanest examples I've seen in awhile...should crossover without a problem.
    CB4
  • Options
    I TOTALLY agree on the Elway. The story behind that card is crazy. When I first joined PSA I sent this card with my six submissions. I was down to the end and really had nothing else I wanted to send. I broke this card out of a SGC86, YES SGC86 holder. When I received the grades I was floored. I keep this card around for one purpose only. TO REMIND ME TO BUY THE CARD NOT THE HOLDER... I've had many chances to sell it, but feel terrible. Someday I'm going too, I want a Gem Mint of Elway also. I'm just not sure how to go about it. It's really bad when YOU know it's overgraded. It still will bring PSA 9 money but it's only a PSA 7 card. What would you do?? Sell it as is.. Tell everyone the SGC story? Not worry about it and let the next person buy the card not the holder? I value everyones opinion on both cards. If I didn't want the truth, I probably shouldn't of asked!!

Chad
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    cspeier1,

Always wondered that myself. PSA says "9". There is no way it was "cracked" and switched. Yet it is obviously lower then a 9.

Send it back for regrade? pffft not at a cost to you. Be honest? Hell you are why should you have to 2nd guess PSA? (im joking BTW)

If PSA says it is a 9 a 9 it is.........

Again with my hopes but I have a nice looking Elway. Was going to send it SGA or GAI but will send it PSA. Go figure. I will scan, photo graph and take an xray of it before sending.

Sending this week will let you know the results before and after.

• Options
    VincecarderVincecarder Posts: 1,852
    PSA is a professional company and the grader that day felt it was a PSA 9 (maybe forgot his glasses....near Christmas etc). Either way if that was my card and I was selling it I would put a scan up (not as large as yours probably) and not mention a thing about the card being a SGC 86. I've had plenty of cards that were overgraded as well as undergraded. You as a collector should make the choice to regrade. If the buyer of your PSA 9 Elway isn't satified with the grade it's not your fault, they can take it up with PSA who can buy the card back if it's overgraded.
    CB4
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I've just had 4 glasses of wine (hiccup!), and that Elway is beginning to look like a PSA 9 to me. That Marino is a 9.5 by any standard!
    Keep it as it is. It's gorgeous.
    One thing to keep in mind; that card doesn't exhibit perfect smooth edges so it's been untouched if you know what I mean. That is how it's suppose to look. Great card.

Eagle