Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Generosity beyond and above ALL expectations...Mr. Cascio of course!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
A little while ago, I sent Nick Cascio a heartfelt PM expressing my disbelief, I will say, as to his decision to remove his set from the 1965-Date Roosevelt Circ. strike set registry. I will not go into details of this PM, because it was between him and I, but I will say that I back his decision 110%. I was sad to see Mistercoinman & Whitefang depart as well, because I thoroughly enjoyed watching these 3 Gentlemen build their sets. An accomplishment that I am trying to do.

In my several requests to tell Nick to keep his set on, I stated to him that if he was to take down his set, to get the damn thing pedigreed, so as I may bid on 1 and own a part of his set. Well Nick responded and told me that I WILL OWN A PART OF HIS SET. I never thought that in a million years someone would go the extra mile for me in my little world of coin collecting, but Nick has made me a true believer.

He asked me for my address and said that he is going to send me a SPECIAL coin that he made. That was all he said. Well today I went to the P.O. to pick up my 1998-P PCGS MS68FB Pop (5/0) Roosevelt Dime, accompanied with a wonderful letter "Pedigreeing" my new dime. This is a coin that he personally made. I'm glad I wasn't driving, because I was floored and stunned in a blood rushing disbelief that someone would be so gracious enough to send me such an expensive coin.

Nick...words cannot even come close to how I feel towards you and the stunning gift you have given to me...All I can say is THANKYOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

Your friend,
Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Onlyroosies is one of the very best...that's why I bust his chops on this forum every chance I can...he ALWAYS takes it the RIGHT way...if everyone in the hobby behaved like Nick, this would be "the sport of kings."imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

Class act!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    -George
    42/92
  • Well if Nick is giving away dimes , he has my address
    and I will be checking the mail boximage
    TIm
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Yes Nick is one of the best. I've bought many coins from him, PCGS & NGC, and have never been unhappy with anything I recieved from him.
    Paul have you noticed Roosie Registry Set named "My Set"? Why do I feel so sure that it's a return of MrCoinmans set under another name?.... 1- GPA is about right, 2- position on the list is right on, 3- been known to list a set without using the MrCoinman name. imageimageimageimage
    Dan
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class actimageimage
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

That is so cool! What a kind and generous act on Nick's part.

While we are on the topic of kind and generous acts, let me "out" another board member: TAP444 (Tim). He recently offered me several dimes. I told him that I was not in a financial position to buy them all but I'd buy a couple. He quoted a very fair price for the two and then when I opened up the letter with the two dimes I bought I found all the dimes he had offered with a note that I could use the others for my collection. Another very kind act!

I know that flame wars break out on these boards and some people truly dislike others. But Nick and Tim (and many, many others) truly exemplify the spirit of generosity that most people on these boards possess.

Mark
    Mark

• MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Paul, You are right Nick is one of the best guys that has ever own a collection. When my set was just about complete he helped me with a 1970-P the last dime I needed at the time except for the 1982- no p. He asked me to send him $2.00 and I did, in about a week I recieved a 1970-P ms-65 in the mail. At the time the pops in 1970-p"s were low. If he ever pedigreed his set and sold the coins I would say that would be a MUST BUY FOR ME.!!! Thanks Nick for being a true inspiration to all of us. Paul enjoy your dime, and I am still around.

Mark: You are right Tim is another one of those great gentlemen, and I have purchased many coins from him. I think you will find that Ron, and Mitch are two nice people to deal with also!!!
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul, Thanks for the kind words. You and several other's have been a great inspiration
    to me in creating these two works of art (my silver and clad Roosie sets). I love the
    series and its time to hand off the Torch. My mentor was Steve Heller and the great
    Roosie set he created was phenomenal in its time.

Paul, I was overwhelmed with your post and your gratitude is worth far more to me
    then any other form of compensation I could have received for the dime anywhere else.

I hope it brings you pleasure for many years to come.

Your Roosie Pal
    Nick

Nick,
    You know good food, fine wine, and how to make friends....but how am I ever going to teach you to buy some coins with "eye appeal?"imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul: Congratulations on acquiring the 1998(p) Roosie in PCGS-MS68FB. At the risk of raising Nick into "Sainthood" status, let me tell everyone the REAL story behind this particular coin!

A while ago (perhaps 6+ months ago or so), I found a 1998(p) PCGS-MS67 Roosie in my coin inventory and sent it in to PCGS to add FB to the holder. When the coin came back MS67FB, it was obvious to me the coin was actually a MS68FB coin. Nick needed the coin for his collection, so we quickly arrived at a deal where he would buy the coin at a reasonable level for an MS67FB Roosie at the time, but, we added a provision that if the coin upgraded over the next year, he would toss me a $500 bonus.

Even though Nick had shut his set down AND ACQUIRED AN MS68FB 1998(p) DIME IN THE MEANTIME, he remembered to resubmit this 1998(p) dime which upgraded to MS68FB as expected. Not only do I see that he graciously gave this coin away to a good friend, but he also remembered to pay me the $500 bonus I was entitled to on this coin! Nick is a class act all the way - very few collectors or dealers out there would have done anything close to this! Thanks Nick for your integrity as well on our deal - much appreciated. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Class actimageimage >>

in total agreement with this.

I have had one or two deals with Nick and both were outstanding. On one deal he thought his shipping was too slow so a Very Pretty Roosie was included with the Merc he sold me. Never will this coin go another place than where it is right now.

Nice to see a good guy get some recognition.....image

Ken
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick is is indeed one class act. Like I did with wondercoin before, we spent hours on the telephone going over various dimes he sent me to look at. I ended up buying one of his real pretty NGC graded FB dimes a while back. Only real collectors do that sort of thing!

But now an interesting question. Now that I bought a pretty white clad 1969-D quarter from Nick for $22, does that mean his name will now become onlywashies?????image

Now would you believe he actually owned a quarter?????

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville: BTW, tax time is over - are you ready to see the most incredible MS69 Lincoln cent (from the standpoint of quality) you have ever laid eyes on? image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    To own a lesser coin like a washington quarter is OK.. But When Nick leaves us for the big Registry Set in the sky,(no time soon I hope), it will take more than one angel to haul him up there. For I'm betting there's a least a hundred pounds of Roosies in his heart. And my guess is he will want to take them up there with him.. Maybe looking for the ultimate upgrade?? imageimageimage
    Dan
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Coin collecting can be compared to the ocean........the tide comes in and the tides goes out. I'm hopeful that Nick's departure is just temporary and that soon, he will come back - super charged with booster rockets flaring like a wave crashing onto the beach. Not that Nick is gone, its just that his set has departed image Ya just hate to see the good guys go................
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
    Nick,
    Please come back....you can do Mercs...you are the only one I'd sell my Merc set to....at ridiculous prices, of course!!!imageimageimageimage
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • REAL CLASS
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Nick is awesome!!!

more Nick for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a good time for me. I still think about this coin and what it has meant to me. Nick still influences ALL of the Roosie sets. Can you honestly say that there is a registered set that doesn not have a coin from Nick? I bet you can't!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.