Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Weighting question

I requested a set to be put on the registry and was granted my request. However, all of the cards have been given the weight of "1." Is there any way to have weights changed? How do I go about this? It is clear that all of the cards in this set are not equal.

Thank you for your help!

SpinRx
PSA Graded Sets:
1969 Topps Basketball: 25/99 25.25%
1970 Topps Basketball: 81/175 46.29%
1998 SA-GE Red Autographs 8/50 16%

Looking for PSA graded Topps Baseball card #69 from all years 52 to 04!

Always looking for PSA 5-8 of these!

Comments

• Options
    Write to BJ and request a spreadsheet for the set.
    She will send one to you.
    Fill it out and send it back.
    She will have it reviewed.
    If approved, the weights will be changed.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz,

Thanks for your help! E-mail has been sent. I hope it works out!

SpinRx
    PSA Graded Sets:

• Options
    speederspeeder Posts: 819
    weights are generally determined by; value ($) in NM-MT (psa-8) condition
    lee
  • Options
    Speeder,

Thanks, that may be problematic for me with this set as very few have been graded to accurately establish PSA 8 value...In many cases I have the only graded example. I'll se what shakes out however. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

SpinRx
    PSA Graded Sets:

• Options
    what set are you having weighted ?

#1 JOHNNY BENCH MASTER SET
  • Options
    1998 SAGE Basketball Autographs
    PSA Graded Sets:

• Options
    I had the same thing happen. PSA had not put a SMR value on some cards that I wanted in my graded set, so they allow you to use prices from others. I used Sports Collectors Digest Bible and used their NM-MT pricing.

They accepted that.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    1998 will not get you much more than a 2 weight, if that.
    but the autograph part of the card would raise its value.
    my guess is 3 weight at the highest, 2 weight more than likely.
    remember, how rare the card or the set is does not play into the grade weight equation.
    your friend, lee
  • Options
    "remember, how rare the card or the set is does not play into the grade weight equation."

Ok, so I have now received the spreadsheet. What should I do to accurately determine weighting? If the #1 valued card in the set is let's say $100 in NRMT, and the common card is let's say $5 in NRMT how do I weight them? Am I going about this the wrong way? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I am doing this right...

SpinRx
    PSA Graded Sets:

• Options
    different cards within a set, can certainly be weighted differently.
    like dalew said, use any sources that will validate a value. in the past, i even used similar cards to try to come up with a value.
    if you think the most valuable card in the set is $100 in psa-8 your set would be all grade 1
  • Options
    I don't understand how a card valued at $100 in PSA 8 would have the same
    weight as a card valued at $5 in PSA 8 within the same set. It seems to me the
    $100 card would be weighed higher than the $5 card. Please explain.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    hate to disagree with Speeder here but I must. My understanding is that these weights are for cards only within this set. And because of that I would use the whole scale. I have done this in the past and they have always been approved. If they weights go between sets (like a player set from 1990 to 2002 with three manufacturers) then Speeder is right on and all the cards have to be considered. But either way, I do them the same.
    I would suggest something like a linear extrapolation method. For example:

most expensive card - least expensive card (in our case $100 - $5 = $95)
    There are 10 weights possible (1 through 10).
    If you divide $95 by 10 you get about $9.50 per grade.
    That would give you something like
    <$10 = 1
    $10.01 to $20 = 2
    $ 20.01 to $30 = 3, etc.

Or
    <$6 =1
    $6.01 to $16 = 2, etc.

I plot them out in kind of a histogram and look. I just count the # of cards at each $ value and right them down. Then you can start drawing lines that would represent the range for each grade weight. I make adjustments where it makes sense. There is no right and wrong and having looked at many of them, I disagree with several. But who cares? Give it a try and it will work out easier than you think. Most sets have the most valuable card weighted 10 and the commons weighted 1.

Good Luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    hi fuzz,
    i will admit my experience with grade weighting is with player sets. and that is not how psa determines grade weights with player
    sets. it may very well be that psa uses a method like yours to determine weights within a set of the same year. though they did not do this with my 2001 upper deck golf, tiger tales (1-30) all are grade weight 1.
    go figure ????? thanks fuzz
    your friend,lee
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Mars attacks non sports set is also a non weighted set. However their are at least 4 cards that are harder to obtain and cost more in any grade. 1 21 36 and 55 come to mind yet Psa will not weigh the set.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Jake,
    A grade weight of "1" is the default for any set. When it is first listed, they are all listed like that. It is up to the collector input to change it.
    Speeder,
    It was clear that you knew what you were talking about but yet had a very different view of the process than I did. It made sense that your process was for player set weighting. And that my friend, is a process I will leave to you experts. The individual set is pretty straight forward by comparison.
    WinPitcher,
    Your problem may be documentation. I believe that PSA regards set weighting as permanent (even though a few tweeks can be made) listing. Therefore they are very careful to go on accepted hobby knowledge and not pop reports or the like. For example 65 and 66 Topps BB both have cards that are downright impossible to get in high grades but are not listed seperately except for a note at the bottom. But they are priced the same even though the market does not, and is not expected to in the future, reflect that fact. The rational I believe is that they were printed in the same quantities and logically have the same shot a existance. If you can refer to price guides that show these cards as higher priced that would help. If you could show an uncut sheet identifying these as SP that would work.
    Until several extensive studies are done (and published), sheet location, condition sensitvity and the like will probably not be taken into account for weights. Good luck in the quest.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    dear spinrx, listen to fuzz. he seems to have a better handle on your problem. slow down, take your time. its super that your asking
    so many questions. i truly hope i did not confuse you. if i did, i`m so very sorry !
    I cannot wait until i see your set on the board !
    and for you fuzz, well all i can say is, thank you for teaching me something today ! your topps in my book !
    your friend, lee (speeder)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fuzz, the SMR does reflect cards 1 and 55 though as higher priced cards. I have no idea if any were sp etc. I can only tell from experience going back 25 yrs looking for them at comic conventions and now on ebay. the smr is also way behind as the price for 9 is really what u can expect to pay for an 8 (if your lucky) 9z go for 2k yet are smr at 250.00.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone who helped. I used the Fuzz's formula and my weights were approved and are now on the registry. It is pretty exciting to see.....image

Thanks again!

SpinRx
    PSA Graded Sets:

• Options
    here it is everybody

RADTKE`S #1 1998 SAGE AUTO SET
  • Options
    Guys, I'm just glad I was able to help for a change.
    Lee,
    I don't collect player sets at this time but if that changes and I need any help, you'll be topp on my list. Thanks for having a great attitude and take care.
    Spin,
    Glad it worked out so well for you and good luck on the quest. 57% more completion to the registery certificate for this set.
    WinPitcher,
    I do not ever remember seeing a Mars Attack but I will keep my eye open. You may be able to start the weighting by bumping up cards #1 and #55 if they are priced higher. You can come back and "adjust" as the evidence continues to build. Your experience is quite valuable as most of us have not put the time and effort into this set that you have done. You may want to write to Joe, a nice letter sharing your experiences. Put the bug in his ear if you will. If he hears it enough, it could become a footnote then moving to changes. Good Luck and I will let you know if I run accross anything.
    Fuzz