Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Florida State Quarters

Has anyone else noticed that the Florida quarters produced at the Philadelphia mint are thicker than the ones produced at the Denver mint. A roll of 40 P mint quarters is about 1/8 inch thicker (taller) than a roll of D mint. Do the P and D mints have different suppliers for the inner core of copper?
Donn Murphy
D.M.

Comments

• Options
    You are right,there is a difference of 1/8" in the size of the two rolls?????????
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin thickness is determined primarily by strike characteristics. The rims are raised
    to make it easier to stack coins but these often will fill differently from year to year
    or mint to mint. It is much less common to see variation between the mints than
    from one year to another. Coin weight is determined primarily by the thickness of
    the strip from which the standard sized blanks are punched.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I noticed this when I was rolling up some culls I had looked at. In fact I recounted a couple of rolls, thought I had put too many coins in the roller!image Good to see its not just me and my imagination!!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donn: Very interesting. You may or may not know that the FLA quarters have also proven thus far to be the toughest 2004 coin to obtain in PR70DCAM grade due to the design of the coin. I wonder if the coin design may also prove to be the cause of this state being a toughie in grades MS68 and better?

Donn - I also heard PCGS invited you to showcase your great Mint State- State Quarter collection at the upcoming Long Beach show. Congratulations on that and I, for one, look very forward to viewing your entire great collection at the PCGS tables at the show image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    eyeeye Posts: 81
    Mitch, your assessment of the Florida quarters appears to be 'right on' as usual. According to my own experience so far in looking at them, if the mint does not come out with some "quality" Florida quarters in their mint sets this year, I think we'll be lucky to get a handful of MS68s. I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of State Quarter collectors who have contacted me about my set. Yes! The entire set will be available for viewing at Long Beach. I will be in attendance and I look forward to meeting fellow collectors and answering any questions you have about my collection. See you at Long Beach.

D.M.