Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your "dream coin"?

If you could own any coin in the world, which would it be and why? Which coin do you dream about adding to your collection someday if you ever get the opportunity?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It has officially changed. My dream coin is a 1797 half dime or dime with 16 stars in any non-played-with grade.

Neil
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I would love to own a 1794 dollar in XF/AU - I think that would be very cool.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    1964 PCGS PR69DCAM Accented Hair Kennedy Half.

Russ, NCNE
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Brasher Dabloon (did I spell it right.....image)/image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I have one dream coin.

There are several I'd love to have.

1794 dollar

1796 or 97 half dollar

1836, 38 or 39 Gobrecht dollar

These would all give me a chubby.
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    not a coin but a 56 mm diameter gold medal from 1845 ...

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A counterstamped ("KMART") 1901-S VF Barber quarter....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    The 1909 VDB Matte Proof in PR64 RB.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted a 1796 quarter.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 1998 Matte Proof Kennedy is on the top of my list..i think it was one of the most beautiful coins ever minted...
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1838-O Half Dollar.

• 1933 Saint Gaudens , or a saint gaudens ultra high relief.
  • maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    These would all give me a chubby

Better watch that talk, Sheriff sample slabs will want to know what that is, then tell you it's OT!!!! image

For me, I would love to someday own a Bust Dollar XF or better......image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Baley's Dansco album...
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Franks,

'49-S 66FBL PL Franklinimage

edited to add: Okayknow I had my fun. The real answer is the 1804 $ in the King of Siam Set (or course we can't breakup the set, so ...)
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    As always when this question is asked....
    why? it is just absolutely beautiful

• An 1893-S MS69 Morgan
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    My Icon coin... why? Just look at that beauty. It last sold publicly at auction in 1999 for $25k as a PCGS PR-68... I hear now it's in an NGC PF-69 holder! image That'd be nice... but also, a dream coin is this one AU58 Flowing Hair Half-Dime that Bill Jones has. It was gorgeous to me... and I held it in my hand....... Most expensive coin I've ever held in my hand (In a slab of course... image) and a realistic dream, is to own a Morgan Dime Pattern similar to my icon... preferrablly in copper... image With nice cameo contrast too... image
    -George
    42/92
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it was the half disme but now that I have one it would have to be the 1794 dollar, Pan-Pacific Octogonal, or a Stella. I've excluded the unobtainable rarities or coins that have no prospect of being available to mere mortals in a relatively affordable grade.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1856 Proof 65 Flying Eagle

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

• 26-S Lincoln that I buy raw at a local coin show and have it grade 65RD.

14-D Lincoln in 66RD
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem is, when you get your dream coin, you also get another "dream". K
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    A 1895 Morgan, with some drop dead tone on her. As long as I'm dreaming, make her a PR69!!!!
    Becky
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    An 1861-O half dollar in PCGS MS-68, untoned.

Tom
    Tom

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my dream coin in 1986 after 11 years of waiting/lusting after it.
    Having owned it for 18 years, it is time to make it someone else's possible dream coin.

Dream Coin

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Monster 2 sided toner PCGS ms69DMPL 1893 S Morgan.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a lusterous gem 1926-s Buffalo Nickel In PCGS-65

or

the 1894-s Barber .10

I am not that much of a type collector, but I really love the Redbook plate coin 1796 Draped Bust quarter or to own the 1799/8 Large cent in PCGS-58.
  • razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    What is your "dream coin"?
    The one that I purchase, and then, actually keep it.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've noticed certain dream coins seem to have a short shelf life with you, Tom. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • My dream coin is the one I can't have. If I got it, then I would have to choose another dream coin image

After seeing that slaying of the dragon in gold I'm wanting to learn more about that one...
  • My dream coins were...........

1878-S Seated Half.........

1873 No arrows - open 3 Seated half........... (In reality MUCH scarcer than the 78-S, but cheaper since not required for a date/mintmark set)

93-S Morgan (VF or better)

79-CC GSA Dollar

An ORIGINAL 51 mint set

All of which I've located & acquired within the last year...........

I'm kinda looking for a NEW direstion, but I think I'll be content with locating the 98 known varieties of Seated Halves that I dont already have !!!!

If you've got Seated halves (by W-B #) for sale, PM me please !!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one JBSteven sed.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Any 1793 Chain Cent in VF or better would make me one happy camper.
    Or about any super HTF Key-Date US coin would suffice. image
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    1870-S dollar.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to have a MONSTER brown 1914-D Lincoln cent. I've had two in MS. The first was a NGC 64BN. That one had a real flat luster to it. I couldnt bring myself to like that one. I sold it after having it a month. The second I had was a PCGS 65BN. That one had a killer strike, but I'm pretty sure it was wiped with MS70. It had an unnatural luster... and numberous carbon flecks. I sold that one at my cost after having it for about eight months.

I saw a NGC 66BN example on e-bay several times. I saw it change hands three times... or at least be offered three by three different sellers. Each time it went up a K. I probably wont ever own it. I'd really like to get a screamer, though.

David
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    hmmm.... A 1 oz gold eagle any date, but beat up enough so I wouldn't feel guilty about
    scratching it up as a pocket piece.
    Or a MS-70 1652 willow tree shilling
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    A nice proof 1864L indian.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    1894-S Barber Dime. In any grade.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    1799 Large Cent in problem free choice XF.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Higley Copper

The "I cut my way through" variety. Any of thoseimage

TPimage
  • caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    An 1943 Copper Cent.image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • A U.S. flowing hair silver dollar from the first year of issue, 1794, in MS64. PCGS' price guide for this is $600,000! image
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    I love TRUE MS Chains and Wreaths.

The Circ. 94-S dime would be very:image

I've always wanted that coin.

But would agree with Nic.

<< <i>Problem is, when you get your dream coin, you also get another "dream". K >>

I've owned/sold/held some really great coins. I can say that there aren't any that I JUST HAVE TO HAVEimage

Now I take pleasure in finding choice problem free PQ sliders.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Brianruns10Brianruns10 Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Definitely that high relief Saint-Gaudens that PCGS graded MS-69.
  • For a while now it has been an attractive circulated 1796 Quarter.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    One dream coin ? That's tough.

Okay, I guess I'd rather have an 1898-O Micro O Barber Half Dollar in PCGS AU 58, than anything else right this minute. (The 94-S dime is a close runner up though).
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    1949S MS68FB Roosie with monster color. The coin has to be all there, If thats
    not available then I'd settle for a 1933 Saint.

Onlyroosies
  • CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1913 Liberty Nickel - PCGS Proof-66 Eliasberg - It's a $3 million coin with some neat history. And it would fill an empty hole in my folder.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1913 Liberty Nickel - PCGS Proof-66 Eliasberg - It's a $3 million coin with some neat history. And it would fill an empty hole in my folder. >>

Not sure you could get it for that amount now.

Oh yeah, for sure the only "dream coin" I have ever had.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file