Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: How much did you spend to upgrade 1 point?

Say your set is 100% complete and you have a MS67 coin that you want to upgrade with a MS68

How much did you spend to get that extra registry point (in this case it would be the difference between the MS67 and MS68 cost)

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    never for registry points... only for eye appeal points!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I can't afford to buy registry points. I'm poor.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I once spent $225 to move up one point.
  • Options
    Depends if you are talking about the first upgrade or the last possible.
    Huge difference.image

Edson
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Depends on which set I was trying to upgrade.
    Moderns are pretty cheap, but the older stuff can get expensive fast. imageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends if you are talking about the first upgrade or the last possible. >>

Edson brings up a good point. If you're at or near the top, that upgrade can be exponentially more expensive than when you're way down the ranks. It also becomes more than just money, but actually finding the coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, there's more at play than a simple point on the slab. I paid $75k extra for the coin in my sig line - it's the finest toned trade dollar I've ever seen and it replaced a white one a point lower.

But even more expensive was the upgrade of one point to purchase the Eliasberg 1884 trade dollar. And believe me when I tell you that had nothing to do with the holder. I still would have bought the coin if it had been a downgrade. It was more important than money to me [on a personal level] to reunite the 1884 and 1885.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure the upgrade from a MS65 to MS66 in the state quarter program would not be much. How much you would spend is really dependent on how much you CAN spend coupled with the choices offered.

I have spent $0 on 3 occassions (well, I did have to pay return shipping).
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    One problem with this question is how deep the pockets of the collector are. If you pay $400 for an upgrade and the average coin in your favorite set (including the common ones) is $400 it is no big deal. However, if the upgrade is multiples of what you usually spend, then it is signficant.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I spent $2357 to DOWNGRADE a point....tossed my MS 68 1950D roosie for a MS 67 FB crazy color coin at the FUN Auction!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I agree with DeepCoin - it's all relative. I play in a less expensive game. My greatest "extravagance" was to "upgrade" a 1938 PR67 Jefferson nickel to a 1938 PR67. image The first was a nicely toned nickel I couldn't refuse (I still have and love itimage), but the second was a one-sided cameo like most of my 1938-1942 proof Jeffersons. imageimageimage It fits better. Cost: about $350 each, I believe.

Richard
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too stupid to understand the question.

Is it, "How much did you pay to get a 1 point upgrade on a registry coin" or "How much did you pay to move up one spot in your registry collection"??

Sorry...image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Spent $650 for one of my MS67 Washers recently and the points DIDN'T move even ONE point.... NADA....Zip....Zingo 66.03 stayed 66.03 What a downer!
    Craig R.
  • Options
    Not yet.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Usually I won't upgrade until a set is complete. That is unless its a toned Peace $. So far I've upgraded a few coins through crossover and regrades. I normally wait until Long Beach and drop a C-note for sameday and on 3-4 coins I've been able to get a 1 pt. upgrade. I did however spend $500+ for a Pinnacle coin to upgrade 1pt, but that was more about color then pts.

Since my toned Peace $ set will never make it into even the Top 10, I've decided not to even try to play the plastics game. I'd rather downgrade a somewhat colorful Peace $ for one that just has monster toning.

For me its color first, grade second.

Michael