Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Lincoln cent site ideas contest with prizes (for YNs only)

coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
Sorry for the rather lengthy post...

I am going to completely redesign coppercoins.com during the summer and need input from YNs (that's Youth Numismatists for the abbreviation imapired) for a new area I am coming up with for the site. I am going to do a whole section of the site devoted to the youth and their interests in copper, especially Lincolns, called "Copper for Kids". We all know that Lincolns are where most kids get their start (although my 7 year old decided buffalos were better...God help him image ), and I thought this would be a good way to promote collecting to our younger generation.

Here's the scoop. It's a contest, and it's a doozy, but the prize winners should come out really happy!

What to do (to the YNs):

Submit your ideas on what would be good educational games and topics of interest for kids ages 6 through 16. Include drawings, rules, and any other ideas you have that would best suit and educate kids about collecting copper coins. Games, factoids, simple tests, cartoons, and other creative ideas will be accepted and considered. The YN who submits the best ideas that I use on the site will be considered the grand prize winner, and the more ideas in a single submittal I receive will likely help your chances to win. Honorable mention will go out to all YNs who submit any idea I use (see rules below), and ALL participants will be winners. Please, adults, let this be only for the kids. Help them organize their ideas, but let them do the work.

Rules to follow:

1. All submittals must include the youth's name and age, along with the name of their home town.
2. Contest is open to all YNs ages 6 through 16.
3. Submittals by mail only to Copper for Kids, P.O. Box 6103, Springfield, MO 65807.
4. Submittals must be postmarked no later than June 15, 2004 to be considered.
5. Typed submittals are better, but hand written is okay as well. Pictures need to be drawn on plain white paper (no lines).
6. A parent or guardian must authorize in writing that the child's first name and last initial, along with their home town be used on the site. Example, "Mikie D., age 7, Springfield, MO" - I will NOT use last names of minors on my site for security reasons.
7. Only ONE submittal per household. Multiple ideas in a single submittal are very welcome and encouraged.
8. Honorable mention will go to the FIRST youth to submit an idea that I use on the site (by postmark).

The prizes:

The Grand Prize Winner gets a free personalized copy of my new book, "Looking Through Lincoln Cents," and their name at the top of the credits for helping design the area of the site.

Honorable mention winners get a roll of all different circulated wheat cents (1909-1958), H.E. Harris coin folders for their coins, and their names listed in the credits.

Other participants will receive 10 different circulated wheat cents for their collections. Everybody who submits valid entries wins!

Ideas will be sorted, the blueprint for the area will be designed based upon ideas submitted, and the winners will be announced Independence Day weekend (July 3, 4) after all decisions are made between four judges from coppercoins staff. All decisions are final. The area will be developed and should be online for use by the first of September.

added: Entries will be judged on realistic useability on the web, originality, and the amount of education provided by the activity, as well as the amount of thought the entrant put into the submittal.

Thanks and good luck!!
C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Comments

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    A very worthy endeavor, and deserves a ttt. image
  • Options
    Is this over?
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    I did not receive one single entry for this contest and have decided to let my 7 year old son do the design work. Although I am now not holding a contest, if anyone wants to send in suggestions they are welcome to do so.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    I will start thinking up a game.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Charles:

Too bad there were no entries. As I stated above, that was a very nice gesture on your part. imageimage
  • Options
    Win some, lose some...no biggie. I'm still coming up with ideas regularly, and will post here when I do. This is still the most productive forum for coin collectors on the internet regardless of the lack of results for one contest. Believe me, my son is keeping me busy with ideas...
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    PM Sent.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file