Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Circulation Strike Sac's

This topic has probably already been covered butt.......

Can someone tell me why the Goodacre & Millennium Sac's are part of the CIRCULATION Strikes.......I've never seen these in my change!

Why hasn't a Circulation w/Varieties set been made?

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine this is because they are not proof coins. "Circulation" strikes simply mean "non-proof."
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    dpoole, I understand that, that's what my comment "Why hasn't a Circulation w/Varieties set been made?" was addressing.
  • Options
    No other thoughts on the subject?
  • Options
    The 1994 & 1997 SMS coins are part of the Jefferson Circulation strike set but are not actually circulation strikes. They are not proof coins either. I guess it was felt that they were closer to MS then to Proof so they were lumped together with the circulation strikes.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    DRG,

I still think that there should be a 'Variety' set for the Sac that includes these 2 coins. They are NOT circulation strikes.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajia, I can understand your reasoning. I would think being these two coins were first year issues played in the decision to include. In other words, if they had come out today, they may not be included, because the set would been establish for a few years. When the set was first started, there were only four coins. I guess the thought was that four coins would make a better start than two. I think the Circulation w/Varieties is a good idea, but the guys that are on top may not think so.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Ponder this. Do you think the 2004-D from (L&C - C&C Set) Will be added as a varitey to the sets currently in the registry? It too is limited addition like the Millennium set which is required?
    Like: 2004 L&C Set
    MS68
  • Options
    One problem with the variety issue; these are not varieties.

Varieties are mint errors that are consider significant enough to be included in the "With Varities" sets. The Goodacre and Millenium Sac's are "Specail" mint issue coins not mint errors.

Really the question is should they be included in the Proof set or the Mint State set? I tend to agree with PCGS that they fit better into the Mint State set.

However, I have always felt that the "Specail Mint Set" coins of 1965-1967 belong in the Mint State sets also, PCGS includes these with the proof sets. This does not make sense to me as any description of these sets usually begins with the statement that "No Proof Sets were made in 1965, these sets were made instead.....The mint did not make proof coins in 1965-1967 why does PCGS have them listed as such?????
  • Options
    DRG,

If your reasoning is right, then there will not be a variety set until a mint error coin comes out..............then the coins would be placed in that set?

Look at the Kennedy set, the 1998 SMS is in the 'w/variety set', not the regular circulation set........................

OK, now I'm really confused! Just checked the Jefferson Nickel sets & they have the SMS in the regular Circulation Set!image

So, is the Kennedy set wrong, or the Jefferson set? Where should (single off) SMS coins (other than 1965-66-67) go?

Oh yeah, this applies to the 1995W SAE, how many of us can complete a set because of that coin!? & don't give me mint numbersimage
  • Options
    Here is another interesting question; why are the goodacre and millenium dollars required in the circulation set, but neither shows up on the daily price guide?

Same thing with the 1979-P Susan B. Anthony, wide rim near date. I have asked David Hall why these coins do not show up in the price guide and he was supposed to be looking into it!

<< <i>Of all th things I've lost I miss my mind the most! >>

• Options
    Does the word INCONSISTANT come to mind?

I had not noticed that the 1998 S SMS Kennedy was not part of the regular Mint State set before you pointed it out; the variety set would only have one extra coin if it was (the 1974 D Double Die). Technically the SMS coin is not like the double die as it was made on purpose and the double die is an error.

The 1965-1967 SMS coins are really just "Specail Mint State Coins" and belong with the Mint State coins not the Proof coins, but I guess most people collect them as Proof coins so PCGS lists them this way.

The 1979 P Wide Rim SBA$ is not an error but trully a variety coin. Since most people that collect SBA$'s collect this coin and it is the only variety in a short set it makes sense to include it in the Mint State set without a seperate "with Varieties" set.

To me the Jefferson sets make sense. The true variety coins like the "1939 Reverse 1940" and the error coins like the "1939 Doubled Monticello" are included in the variety set and the SMS coins are included with the regular minted coins.