Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Great story....

<< <i>Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Cincinnati Reds closer Graves amazed that wallet, cash returned

CINCINNATI (AP)
- Danny Graves couldn't believe what showed up in the mail.

The Cincinnati Reds closer lost his wallet at the start of a West Coast trip last week and figured he would never see it again. The wallet contained his credit cards, his driver's license, his Reds identification card to get into ballparks and about $1,400 US in cash. A man who cleaned the team's bus in San Diego not only returned the wallet and all of its contents, but took extraordinary precautions to make it would be safe during shipping.

"The guy kept the cash and exchanged it for traveler's checks so it wouldn't get stolen through the mail," Graves said Tuesday. "It was like $1,400 in cash. He did say, 'I borrowed $26 to overnight it to you.'

"He sent his name, address and phone number. He said, 'All I ask for is could you please sign an autograph for my father.' He's going to get a little more than an autograph."

The man lives in San Diego and found the wallet on the bus that took the Reds from the airport to their hotel.

Graves realized he had lost the wallet when he arrived at the hotel. The club asked the airline and the bus company to check for it. No one spotted it immediately, and Graves figured he would never see it again.

The wallet arrived at his home in Florida on Monday, at the address listed on his driver's license. Graves' wife called to give him the news.

He was flabbergasted that a stranger went to such lengths to make sure he got everything back.

"To see all of that money and not take any of it - a guy that probably that money could go a long way with him - that's just honesty," Graves said. "Good things are going to happen to that guy. It's just an amazing story.

"I'm going to send him a bunch of stuff. He's going to get a little more than an autograph. He's going to get some of that money, too."

© The Canadian Press, 2004 >>

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
TUSTIN CA

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    How about that...a great story indeed! Thanks for sharing it here.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Habs!
    It's always uplifting to hear about people like that. image
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Very cool story! I believe his good deed will be boomeranged back to him. image
    everywhere you go
    there you are

marc in Hawaii
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I think it needs to be pointed out that this happened in California, for all you wannabees out there!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I wonder what would have happened had it been a civilian and not a baseball players wallet.
  • Options
    ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    What about his condom? Was his condom still in his wallet. C'mon. We all carry a condom.

S.
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    What a pathetic story. Why return $1,400 back to a multi-millionaire who is going to waste all of it on strippers and booze? If I found a rich man's wallet, I'd take the money and donate it to a hospital. I would, however, return his wallet back.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter that it was $1400 or $14... it's just a pleasure to hear stories like this about honesty... with all of the sh1t going on in this world, it's nice to know that integrity and dignity is still important. Graves should send him a new car and really make a media splash with such a great display of honesty.
  • Options
    Oddly, in Japan, this is a common occurrence. Nobody would dare pick up someone else's wallet on a bullet train, subway or bus. It's almost sad when someone is so celebrated for doing the correct thing. No doubt is was a nice act, but what has become of common human decency? When did stealing become the common act and returning property become such a rarity? How do people live with themselves after selling PRO holders, docotored cards and non-existent cards with stolen scans? Do parents teach right from wrong anymore? Has the fact that two incomes are now required to get by mean that kids are unsupervised and free to go astray? There's another side to this story as you can see. I wouldn't want a reward for returning the wallet. I wouldn't have felt that I'd done anything to deserve one. I know this sound Pollyanna-ish, but I'm really interested as a person and writer. What was the turning point? This might be off topic, but I'm curious to all your thoughts.

S.
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I found a wallet on Saturday and just enjoyed tracking the guy down from the little bit of information that was in his wallet. I found him, returned it and got good Karma and a raspberry tart in return. Mainly the reason I was so happy to return it is I know how frustrating it is to lose your wallet, and how good it feels to get it back.

And Griffins, this also happened in California image
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    What was the turning point? This might be off topic, but I'm curious to all your thoughts.

Scumbi... you are opening a BIG topic here...

I think Leo Durocher started it all when he said, "Good guys finish last."

But I think the turning point can be seen in the apathetic response and lack of disdain for the rise in unethical behavior. Student cheating is rampant, tax cheating is up, white lies are seen as ok, looking out for yourself at the expense of others is accepted behavior, etc. I think what has happened is that we see the end as more important than the means in our culture today. If you can "beat the system" and get away with it, then it must be ok and you did nothing wrong in the first place. Morality is not part of the equation any more. Our children see these examples in the media every day: Jayson Williams, OJ Simpson, R Kelly, Richard Lay, and Dennis Koslowski are all examples of committing heinous acts against others for personal gain and society's (as in legal system's) reaction is to condone it. What a message! This attitude of complacency as a response to immorality is pervasive at every level of American society.

This is why I think it's important to shine a big spotlight on random acts of kindness, generosity and honesty. It's about all we can do to stem the rising tide of immorality. We need to re-introduce these standard human qualities back into every day life.
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    My wife calls me a 'boy scout' for doing what I think is normal stuff.
    I'm not sure why, but I actually got teary eyed reading that story.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    I'll tweak the story to a true NYC story...

An attorney from an affluent Westchester NY (New York City suburb) bought a cell phone at a garage sale for $10. When he went to get it turned on, he was told it was a stolen phone. He wanted to return it to the rightful owner but the phone company worried about security and privacy wouldn't give him the contact info of the owner whom reported it stolen. But the phone company did contact the owner on his behalf and the owner was given the attorney's contact info. The owner was a Customer Service Rep for a famous downtown NYC financial services company. Once contacted, the gentleman attorney who works in Westchester county agreed to bring the phone to her work in downtown Manhattan directly. He drove 45 minutes each way in his Lexus spenidng his expensive time, he paid tolls and parking. Much more than shipping would have cost and I guess it never occured to her that maybe she should take her time to go get the phone from the good samaritan. When he returned the phone to her, oblivious to his other expenses, she politely wrote him a check in the amount of $10 to cover the cost of his purchase. The attorney went on his way feeling good about his good deed. Ten minutes after he left, the woman calls her bank and puts a stop payment on the check. Her comment in small claims court was, "Maybe HE was the one who stole it and was trying to get $10 out of me. And I already got a new phone. why do I need this one??!!"

The moral: No good deed goes unpunished. (Or is it: there IS an honest attorney in the world! lol)
  • Options
    "No good deed goes unpunished" is one of the major roots of comedy writing. Being a nice person somehow means your forehead says "Doormat" in big, bold letters.

Another thing I've witnessed is entitlement by the poor. I used to do a lot of charity work for one specific charity. Every Christmas, they would rent out a multi-plex and show the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks kid release for free with transportation. After the movie, we'd give the kids gifts provided by Mattel and sporting good companies. These were wrapped in ornate paper and kids from suburban America would be happy to get them. After five years, I couldn't take it anymore. All I really cared about was seeing some happy faces on kids. However, the kids would have screaming fits if they got a gift they didn't like. They would argue, hold up the line and try to exchange their gifts. Also, they would try to coax you into giving them two gifts by getting back into line again while hiding the other gift. The parents often perpetuated their scams. My final year, I just about puked. I took off, lit a cigarette and left after yelling at a few families.

The bottom line is this--Nobody give a flying fish about anyone else anymore. Morons in their Mercedes drive in your lane while talking on the car phone and get mad when you honk. The police resent the rich even though our tax dollars pay their salaries. People with any authority will abuse it to the nth degree like your typical mall security guard. If you get to a ballgame late and some sneak has tried to snake your seats, he/she will get mad when you kindly ask them to move while displaying the correct ticket stubs. People do charity to feel good about themselves in most cases. They couldn't care less about the people they are helping. Kids scream in movies and restaurants while their parents look on proudly. People brag about being able to pull fast ones in all spheres of life. Advertisers feast on our insecurities to sell their items. Adultery is a-ok if you don't get caught. Everything that doesn't go your way is caused by some hidden conspiracy. The richer you are, the smarter you are. The people you call "friends" are happy when you fail (Schadenfreude). We still go to war. Everyone knows what's better for everyone else when it comes to religion and lifestyle. Douchepurses list Tillman cards at $5000 on ebay minutes after his tragic death is announced. We're filthy, disgusting animals. And, it's only getting worse.

Maybe the wallet guy is our new breed of hero. Maybe simply doing what you know is right separates you from the masses. Being a "hero" isn't even a good thing anymore. Often it implies meddling in other people's business and naivete. We can sit and post all day about not getting enough PSA 8s, but, since we are a community of sorts, sometimes issues in the hobby are microcosms for bigger things that need to be discussed.

When does this all take a turn for the better?

S.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    You get what you give. Scumbi/CON - many interesting realities detailed in your posts. Almost downright depressing when you give it some thought. There is no end in sight...there will be no turn for the better. Original turning point on this mess IMO - Vietnam, Nixon, Watergate era. That is when the media took over - and rightly or wrongly - began to expose every wart on the arse's of our nation's leaders. Again, not defending decisions that were made - but the impact of the media began to twist the perception about everything with everyone, including trust in the common man. If you can't trust your leadership, then what can you trust? The media is always on a scavanger hunt to sensationalize, demoralize, expose and exhorsize the leaders of our country. So, eventually, everyone develops an attitude of "WTF" - I am going to take care of number one and the hell with everything and everyone else.

The Bill Clinton years did not help...re-fueled the fire. Thank the media again. Who cares what he did with his cigars and a bimbo. But, his behavior - knowing the high level of media scrutiny - was absolutely stupid. Almost as if he was above the law and moral decency. And HE GOT AWAY WITH IT almost unscathed. Thanks a lot Bill - society reflects your attitude. And to boot, the slimeball will possibly become the first " First Man" in our nation's history.

I regretfully say that the glimmer of hope to turn this "gotta get mine and screw everyone else" apathy around was the events of September 11th. We became soladarized as a nation and a people. We cared for one another, perspectivly doing things for one another, realizing that it's about the things we can do for others and the return of such good-doings that may actually be what we got plunked down on this rock for. But, now even this tragic conversion of the American spirit has been tossed assunder by the foul mouthed media and the vested interest of a political party.

So, as I opened, you get what you give. Do what you know is right and ignore the rest of the BS. Put a wall up about it. Honor your family and your friends. Just do what is right, and that will make a difference in the long run.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>There's another side to this story as you can see. I wouldn't want a reward for returning the wallet. I wouldn't have felt that I'd done anything to deserve one...but I am curious to all your thoughts. >>

Scumbi
    When it comes to ethical behavior, I can only control WHAT I do and HOW I behave and basically employ the "golden rule". What others do to me or around me, unfortunately is out of my control.
    With all do respect, Habs presented to me a wonderful positive story and, IMO, I would not feel good about raining on his parade.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bottom line? we are all responcible for our own actions....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Scumbi,

how are things diffrerent now than before?

there is this jehova witness at work who believes that the end is near, he points to the war in Iraq, the media and politics, violence of video games etc..

but he fails to realize that there has always been wars, there have always been people who use other people, there has always been hungry people, rich filthy people, greedy SOB and polititians who lie.

thats not new ...thats humanity.

unlike our ancestors we actually get to live past half a century, we work hard but it is usually 8 hours ...much better than from sun up to sun down, we get to travel to remote places in less than day.

Drink a little wine, love a few women, even the chubby ones, and take a picture of yourself riding a camel next to the pyramids
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Anytime a society turns its back on the God of creation, this is the result.
  • Options

Yep, things were a lot better when everyone returned wallets so they could go to heaven ?
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262
    Anyone here old enough to remember when we were not concerned with locking our doors and windows at night.
    The sad reality is that now, one of the fastest growing industries out there is Home Security.

As the gap between the haves and the have-nots ( is that a word ? ) widens, things will only get worse.

Oh yeah, Have a great day.

Rob..
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    First, let me say I meant no disrespect for Habs and the story. It is a good and noteworthy story. However, the thread made me think a bit and I might have disrailed it.

With that said, I was interested in what you guys were seeing and thinking. This is an unusual community only made possible within the last ten years. We all share a passion for the same hobby, however we are all from different parts of the Country, we are all different ages, we all have different occupations and we all have a very different perspective to share. This is not a group of high school buddies like the Cutters in Breaking Away. We are a heterogenous group. Ten years ago, the chances of any of us communicating were almost zero. Maybe a few might have met and had a drink at a card show, but this is unique.

I value the opinions on this board. Life is more than just baseball cards. It's very apparent human nature hasn't changed since we were all hairy like Alec Baldwin and tossing rocks at the moon. However, there is a dangerous movement going on. Dirty Harry gave an intelligent indictment of the media. Watching the news is more frustrating and horrific than any Freddie Kruger film. What scares me is the worse it gets, the more we insulate ourselves (Home security point that Robstar made) and, thus, the more our experience comes from the media and television. When things seem dangerous, it is always easiest to fall back and surround yourself with people that are as like-minded as possible. It's safe. However, one of the real joys in life is connecting with someone outside your circle and finding things to get excited about.

Although we trumpet huge advances in science, medicine and technology, we don't seem to be making an advances in being better people. In fact, the furthering of science only multiplies the differences in socio-economic class, religious beliefs and political polarization (ie. top medical care for the rich, inheritance tax issues, less tolerance for other religious groups due to widening gaps elsewhere).

Nothing is going to get solved here. However, the fact that we can all offer our opinions and personal experiences bodes well for the future. Most business efforts have failed on the internet, however it seems to me that it is best suited for the exchange of ideas.

Best,

S.
  • Options
    When things seem dangerous, it is always easiest to fall back and surround yourself with... BASEBALL CARDS!!!

Now that's what we're talking about! image

EDIT: No levity... just trying to be a little on-topic with such a weighty issue!
  • Options

<< <i>I value the opinions on this board. Life is more than just baseball cards >>

Scumbi
    Those are good words and you are well spoken as are many on the board. For the most part, humor is great for the soul. Healer of many ills.
    On the card side: I have been buying some 63F PSA 8 cards and am amazed at how hard it is to find really good centered ones. And the people pursuing them notice that and are willing to go over smr for a really good specimen.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Stone..hear you.image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...