Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

SSSP (yes three Ss) and a GIVEAWAY!

SSSP = Slabbed Shameless Self Promotion

SSSP - SLABBED SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.

Because I am auctioning mostly US coins and Currency this week, I feel I must hold a giveaway for a Darkside coin. This is a 5 Sucres from Ecuador dated 1944, it is 38mm in diameter and .720 silver.

The winner will be the person who posts the most interesting photo and/or coin related story.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p'tooy, liteside. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I got one I'd love to tell about about my 1913 sovereign. The story of how it got scratched and all. Could I submit it?
  • Options
    I'll go ahead and congradulate Clankeye for the up coming entry and winning story. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Beautiful Red X oh Dead One! I tried, but couldn't fix your URL.image
    Roy

• Options

<< <i>Beautiful Red X oh Dead One! I tried, but couldn't fix your URL. >>

That's what the doctor said too. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got one I'd love to tell about about my 1913 sovereign. The story of how it got scratched and all. Could I submit it? >>

Go ahead!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Some nice lightside coins! I have a weakness for Franklins with my birth year so I had to give into itimage Also a great giveaway...should see some interesting postsimage
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Here's my entry

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Here are the coins, actually medals, and their story:

imageimage

I was watching this one on eBay (Turin 72mm), it started at about $20-$30 dollars, went up to about $45 on the last day of the auction, and closed at over $300; WOW!

imageimage

This one was also on eBay (Dupuis 50mm), it started at about $15, and didn't move at all, until I sniped it!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Well, I think , that the most unusual coin related story in my life was happened, when I was 12 years old or something like that. It was during the summer, when I have spent my vacation from the school at the country (chalet or "dacha" ) I was already a serious Darksider with a collection I thought about 200 coins, so I was looking for coins any time and place I could be able to do it. But not in that place and not during that time...image So, as usual from the morning I decided to help to our "landlord" with his country/willage works and started to help him with woods or in other words with "logging for the winter" . I was already very serious "logger" and knew how to work with woods. image So I took a few logs put them one by one on another big log and started to hack them. After a few minutes of work I put on the big log some small log that had some serious hollow. As I mentioned erarlier , that I was already a serious "logger" I took a very big and fearful ax or even chopper, I would say (as I knew already that logs with the hollows are real problem even for serious loggers, like me!) image So I took it and even didn't keep my feet balance, so heavy was that axe, but I finally managed to raise it and even to stay in that pose a few seconds and after that that terrible axe bruoght me to the log and.... the log was split and I saw something spinning on a great spped above my head --- it was circle and small... as you all already guessed it was ... a coin. A silver one coin. 1931 year (if I'm not mistaken) twenty kopeks silver coin. Actually, I was astonished: to realize that somebody put it into that hollow , when it was a part of the tree many years ago..... I should say the coin had a nice toning (as I understand it now , after seeing many pictures, here at Darkside) so I was comletely happy with that coin, but unfortunatelly it doesn't happened again during my subsequent loggings after that.... Interesting that it happened with the young collector and not with anybody else. That case only reinforsed my desire to that hobby, so I'm thinking it might be more interesting that usual story about metall detectrors findings...image

Hope later also to find and post the picture of that coin and it really worth to do--you understand why if I'll managed to do it later.

Ufortunatelly, the original coin is not with me, because it was forbbiden to take coins away from Russia

And, Dead King, I should say that I planned to make such a giveaway : that every mate will post some interesting story about getting a new item for his collection and so on... but you made it first image

Edited to add the picture:

And I see now that it wasn't silver coin, just CuNi, but I still was astonished and for me it was juast as the gold coin image
    N. N.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I lost a slab in an airplane. image

I don't know how, but I lost it.

image <------ lost slab image

ex-spinaker, ex- Colin Cooke. That's my story.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    I'd really like to add that 5 Sucres coin to my collection. Here's my story. I stopped collecting coins a few years ago. Then about 3-4 weeks ago I was at the post office sending out some mail. I received my change back and realized they had given me a Canadian quarter. I walked back over and told the postal worker that they had given me the Canadian quarter and I assumed they would just give me a US quarter in it's place. To my surprise the woman behind the counter replied with "someone gave it to me, does it really matter" and gave me an extremely hard time. I usually don't get into arguments like this but I thought that I could just get the quarter with no problems. After arguing back and forth for a few minutes I decided just to keep the Canadian quarter and go home. A few days later I was going through my change and took out the quarter. Then I took out what I had left of my coin collection and started sorting through them. Shortly after this a friend gave me some foriegn coins from trips to Europe they had taken. Soon I found myself actively reading these forums and asking people I know if they had any coins I could add to my collection. My interest in coin collecting seems to have returned, mainly due to this stupid quarter (see photograph link below).
    Looking for tobacco cards (T206, etc), 1960 Topps cards, autographs, dvds, coins, plus more
  • Options
    Here's my story with a picture for your contest. image

---------------------------
    My love of gold.

Whenever I was a young boy I always was fasinated by coins. My dad used to buy whitman coin albums and we used to find lincoln cents in our change and fill it up with them. When I was 7, I was watching a cartoon, called Robinhood , and one of the characters got a gold coin for his birthday. My grandpa happens to be a geologist, and taught me many things about gold when I was young. I was always fasinated by it. When I was 7 I decided to get a gold coin for my birthday. I went to a store called Gold'N'Coins and purchased a 1997 american 1/4 oz. eagle with my own birthday money.

I didn't know what was good and not back then, so I decided for some unknown reason to put a small scratch in the coin. I didn't know it would defect the value. When I was 15 I became much more interested in coins again, and in paticular, gold ones. My grandfather had lost 1 platinum and 1 gold oz. coin. He said if I found it I could keep them both. We never did find them, but it was fun. Later I bought a 1/10 oz. maple leaf coin, and a gold sovereign. Ever since I got that sovereign it has haunted me. I always thought it was fake, but deep down inside I knew it wasn't. I annoyed people constantly saying it was fake, including my parents, and they said it wasn't. I was so obessed with it I could not sell it. So I decided to get it slabbed by ANACS.

The coin came back geniune, but net graded because of a scratch. I was upset about it, but I decided to keep it as a momento. The picture of the sovereign show points to the scratchs on the coin I made. I decided to go to a coin forum, and talk and gain more knowledge. I happened to stop by at this PCGS forum. When I first started posting people immediately became suspicious of me, making fun of me and harassing me. They suspected I was up to know good and was lying, like some on this forum do. Unfortunately nothing can be perfect, and there is always a bad apple in the bunch. You have to keep your eyes open, and some of the things I said left a red flag in some of the posters minds, including my friend Aethelred.

It escalated farther and farther, and then most of them (I hope all of them) realized I was not trying to start trouble, which I wasn't. I am very shy in real life. When I speak on the forum; I am protected by a wall of eletronic data; it's different. I speak differently, I feel safer. People don't judge you on how you look, speak, or talk. Just your personality. I guess this is what made me say some of the things I said, people thought it was suspicious and it went from there. I still post alot on this forum, but I try to make my comments helpful, instead of annoying. I annoyed many people on this forum, and I apologize for that, with my sovereign bit. I am obessive about things at times, and I just can't stop.

I've found out , that 99% of the people on this forum are very, very helpful and nice. Sure, sometimes they get annoyed, sometimes they make mistakes, as does everyone. No one is perfect. But the good definitely out ways the bad. Aethelred sent me a slabbed ANACS coin, over a dispute about my coin. That was very nice of him. So many people are helpful on this forum, and I really appreciate that.

I also wanted to add and say the properties about gold. It is very malleable, (Meaning you can smash it into thin sheets, without it breaking into pieces.), and ductile (You can make it into wires), and also makes good use in eletronics. It has been known by ancient people for some time, because of it's profound beauty and brilliance, of the sheer luster of gold. Gold does not tarnish, it is very inert. This makes it ideal for many things. Gold is divised up into karat. 24K(Karat), is pure gold. 12K is 50% gold, etc. Gold is often alloyed (mixed together) with copper, a very reactive but strong metal. The mixture of this alloy can result in copper spots, or the oxidation of copper raised to the gold alloy surface.

I wanted to say thank you to all the people on this forum for your help, and thanks to Aethelred for supporting this essay.

~Kevin.

• Options
    Well done Kevin!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Well done Kevin! >>

Thank you! image
  • Options
    ttt

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I'll be selecting a winner in about 24 hrs.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    does that mean midnight tonight? I'll be asleep.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    My miracle survivor coin.

This was my first purchase of an uncirculated Victorian coin, circa 1977. It was placed in a coin album consisting of PVC pages and forgotten about. It was retrieved 17 years later. All the other coins in the album were utterly corroded, save for this one - the only one that was worth anything in the first place. I will never upgrade this particular date.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Umm.. a story? Here.. the only Morgan dollar I own I didn't even pay for. It's a nicely worn VG, I forget the date, nothing special but cool nonetheless. I found it next to a dumpster in my old apartment complex. Someone was moving out and piled their junk up there and I spotted that Morgan on top of one pile image So, yes, I guess Morgans are trash imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>does that mean midnight tonight? I'll be asleep. >>

Post something now and you can catch up Saturday!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>

<< <i>does that mean midnight tonight? I'll be asleep. >>

Post something now and you can catch up Saturday!image >>

I don't have any pictures and I already won one of your giveaways with my only coin related story, remember?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Wybrit wins! I think the PVC survivor is cool!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    PCBUM

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Wybrit wins! I think the PVC survivor is cool!image >>

Ahh, I guess losing is a way of life for me ...

Congrats Wybrit!
  • Options

<< <i>Ahh, I guess losing is a way of life for me >>

I wouldn't touch that with the 20' pole I keep for things I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.image
    Roy

• Options
    I win? Wow. Thanks aethelred!
  • Options
    You bet!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Tune in next week for Wybrit and the Black Farthing, and see the Real Survivor ALL-STAR.
  • Options
    Coin arrived! Thanks aethelred. For a dead king, you're alright!