Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

FS Jeff Collectors - What FS coins were the hardest to obtain?

I have had a number of conversations with FS collectors over the years about what were the hardest coins to obtain for their FS Jeff sets. It has been interesting in that there always seems to be certain dates that people cannot locate (and not the same dates for each person). Aside from the usual suspects (69D, 68D, 60D, 61D, 65-67 nonsms, 53S, and 54S) I have found that the 52P and 63D are the ones I have not been able to locate. I have found all the rest (except for 60D/61D). For 65-present I have not been able to locate 66-67 nonsms, 69S, and 81P. While I have an 81P I have not been able to locate any in FS from rolls/mint sets.

As a side issue when looking at the PCGS registry I have also had not much luck in making MS67FS Jeffersons. While I have made some most I have had to purchase. Most MS65/66 coins I have I have been able to locate myself.

Ray Overby
CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
RayOverby

Comments

• Without double-checking my records, I believe the last two I purchased were a
    1942-P T1 and a 1949-P.

I still have more to go, but have been on the sidelines for the most part during
    the past year or two.

Ken
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    1949, 1953, 1956-D

Mark
    Mark
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    There was a listing by region of the country done by FSNC and put in their "Portico" back in July/Aug of 03. There was a Pacific, Mountain, Central and a Eastern area that club members from around the country submitted answers to this very question.

The most difficult for the Pacific was the 68-D, for Mountain it was the 60-D, for the Central it was the 69-D and for the Eastern it was the 53-S. In no particular order, the 5 hardest to locate from all regions were the 60-D, 61-D, 68-D, 69-D, and 69-S.

What with the ability to buy off the internet, I found this info difficult to understand as regions would only play a part in locating FS Jeffs if there WAS no internet. Maybe they were referring to raw?
    Don't know.

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    94 sms in 70fs image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    mark

I easily made a few 53-d's in ms65fs last year...

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    Have you made a 53-P?

If you know where I get a hold of one, I'd love to hear from you.

mark
    Mark
    thats one Ive never even seen..good point.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill