Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can you use the same method to find out of a gold coin is geniune in the US with a gold sovereign or

I've read a few books on counterfeit detection on coins, including gold US coins. However, I do not know if great britian used/still uses the same methods of manufacturing their gold as the US. Is it possilbe to still use the same methods to find out if a coin is geniune for a US gold coin on a great britian gold coin? (For example, a sovereign?)

Here are some of the things a counterfeit US gold coin should have, (there may be others). Therefore, a geniune gold coin should not have any of these:
1. Slippery feel
2. Uneven edge. ("Third side of coin")
3. Depressions
4. Lumps
5. Tooling marks associated with the counterfeiter trying to remove their own mistakes
6. Unnatural luster
7. Lettering is not sharp, details not sharp. Weaker strike than geniune coin.
8. Grainy texture
9. Discoloration

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    I can only offer 2 suggestions:
    1. Buy another one to compare it against.
    2. Find another coin to talk about.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>Find another coin to talk about. >>

I can't afford to buy another. I'm simply asking for advice about counterfeits, I'm trying to learn all about them. I'm disappointed you have to resort to such remarks.
  • Options
    Gee, it was an honest straight forward 'remark'.
    I can't offer any new knowlege on counterfeit detection than has already been given in previous threads. So having another to compare against is a logical next step.
    And I would bet if you ran a poll the unanimous opinion of the forum membership would like to see you ask about ANY coin other than your famous sovereign. This, truly, is only an honest comment and not offered as ridicule or insult.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think Brad makes a very good point. You seem like a newbie to coin collecting in general, not just a newbie when it comes to sovereigns (correct?). I think, and this would be my advice to everyone, you should start small and broad. Go for cheap coins, the darkside has these in abundance.. cheap coins because the hard lessons you're sure to endure will be a lot less painful. But also be broad when beginning in order to give yourself a maximum exposure to all the coins out there. This isn't just for the sake of being a diverse, rather it helps you gain a familiarity with coins in the most general sense. When you have a broad expanse of coins to view and study you will quickly learn to spot the differences.. the differences in how they're made, how they wear, how they're forged, etc.

Being specialized is great, but if you're a total newbie it can be like jumping into particle physics without an understanding of basic arithmatic.
  • Options
    I see.
  • Options
    Do you still think the sovereign is counterfeit? Why don't you take it to a coin dealer near you and see what they have to say.

It is highly unlikely that it is counterfeit, anyway. Even if it were counterfeit (which it's not), it's still made of gold and worth about the same as a sovereign, so don't worry about itimage
    imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Another thing: If you're undeniably interested in sovereigns and counterfeits, you could always seek out a known counterfeit for a reasonable price. Believe it or not, there are people who academically specialize in counterfeits.
  • Options
    Folks, PLEASE understand. This thread IS NOT about the sovereign. I wanted to know if it is ok to use the same methods of counterfeit detection that you use from US gold coins, to british gold coins.

Since they are minted differently, I am not sure if those 9 steps of counterfeit detection I listed are valid for foreign british gold too. That's all I was asking. image

Like someone said on the open forum, I might as well not post here. He said people here were verbally throwing rotten fruit at me. And that I had to do quite a bit to "piss them off". I guess I did, I didn't mean to. It's so frusterating imagining how many people read this thread, don't post because they're sick of it, when I really need help on a subject. I guess I'm really losing friends around here. I really like all of you guys, you can be very helpful. I apolgoize if I sound foolish at times.
  • Options
    Yes, they are valid for all coinsimage
    imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Have you thought of asking on the NGC board. I think they have experts that help out.
  • Options
    Thank you, BurritoGrande. Yes I've posted on NGC, but it takes days for them to respond.
  • Options
    SpinynormanSpinynorman Posts: 603 ✭✭

<< <i>Have you thought of asking on the NGC board. I think they have experts that help out. >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    ANACS slabbed your Sovereign, it IS real!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887
    Well I've seen that sovereign and I'm not sure.

GCL I think you should post more threads about it until you get the answers you deserve.

If I were you I would DEMAND SATISFACTION. These guys have too much time on their hands. They're purpose in life is to be here to help you. And they're doing a pretty crummy job.

Some of them even have the audacity to go out to work most days.

L

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Don't ever believe anything anyone says on the Open Forum.image
  • Options

<< <i>Well I've seen that sovereign and I'm not sure.

GCL I think you should post more threads about it until you get the answers you deserve.

If I were you I would DEMAND SATISFACTION. These guys have too much time on their hands. They're purpose in life is to be here to help you. And they're doing a pretty crummy job.

Some of them even have the audacity to go out to work most days.

L

image >>

I really wish some people here were more helpful than to post harassing comments.
  • Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    Presuming it's a St George Sovereign...

1) if dated between 1821-1887 (young head), always check St George's helmet, there should be no plume on these issues.

2) Sovereigns should weigh 8 grams.

3) on fakes the milling on the edge may be at a diagonal rather than straight

4) drop the coin and listen to the sound, once you've dropped as many as i have you soon beging to recognise the 'gold ring', if it's duller than that it's a fake. (obviously if it's a high grade you might not want to try this, dropping it about an inch is enough to tell you though).

5) Don't buy any 1917 London mint sovereigns because it's most likely they are fake.

Many dates have been faked at some point or other, but the ones to watch out for are;

1819, 1822, 1827, 1828, 1917, 1920-S, 1922-S, 1923-S and 1926-S

Hope that helps!

• Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887

<< <i>I really wish some people here were more helpful than to post harassing comments. >>

Aw c'mon GCL.... It's not as if anyone's died - I mean, it's just a coin isn't it?

I just find this particular coin disturbing. The mere thought of it sends a violent shudder through my inner self. Like a meat hook through the palette on a freezing cold morning.

Know what I mean?

L
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>ANACS slabbed your Sovereign, it IS real! >>

I told him exactly the same thing a couple weeks ago over on the U.S, coin forum.
    He's just a kid. But a slow learner.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really wish some people here were more helpful than to post harassing comments. >>

Aw c'mon GCL.... It's not as if anyone's died - I mean, it's just a coin isn't it?

I just find this particular coin disturbing. The mere thought of it sends a violent shudder through my inner self. Like a meat hook through the palette on a freezing cold morning.

Know what I mean?

L >>

Heh, why?