Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bowers books...any opinion?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am considering buying one (or more) Bowers books to read and for my library. If you have read any of these, please comment on the following:

More Adventures with Rare Coins

The Harry W. Bass, Jr. Museum Sylloge

A California Gold Rush History

American Coin Treasures and Hoards

Please feel free to recommend any others that are available and not listed. Thanks!

Comments

• MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

The Harry Bass book is fascinating for the first 40 or so pages as it talks about Harry Bass. Then it starts to list the coins that were kept in his collection, one-by-one. Detiasls are given about the mintages, the surface features of the coins, etc. While I am glad I have this book, it's definitely not as fascinating a read as Bower's More Adventures or American Coin Treasures. I also have the Gold Rush book, but the thing weighs a ton and so far I haven't had the ambition to start. But that book will last a good long while...

Mark
    Mark

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Robert,
    I read "More Adventures with Rare Coins" a few years ago. Some of it was very interesting, but there's a lot of repetition and auto-biographical rambling from chapter to chapter. Perhaps part of my lack of enthusiam comes from the fact I'm not enamored by coins that were created as rarities by subterfuge or for political favor. I'd recommend getting it from the library, or buying used, for reading, but it's not a book I'd want for my permanent library.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    The California Gold Rush History is HUGE!

Literally, it must weigh ten pounds or more.

If you'd like a taste, there are (or at least were) substantial excerpts (mostly from the diaries of '49ers) on the Numismatic Bibliomania Society's website (www.coinbooks.org).

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Literally, it must weigh ten pounds or more.

In fact, it weighs twelve pounds!
  • American Coin Treasures and Hoards is a good bathroom book. Not a long rambling history book but more devoted to short snippets about various finds. Fun to read in short doses (like when you are on the throne image)
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • I have the California Gold Rush book and yes it is very heavy. It's decent reading. A bit pricey!image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • I enjoyed American Coin Treasures and Hoards.

The stories are a lot of fun....and it's an easy book to put down and pick back up again much later as you have time.
    Go well.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy 'em all. They're great image

Actually, the Bowers works I consult the most are the two Eliasberg catalogs. Those are basically Dave's version of the Breen Encyclopedia. Yup, there are mistakes in both, but the chances of building such massive works without a number of errors is zero.
    I purchased a used copy of Adventures with Rare Coins for $14 delivered. It was just what I had hoped for. Great pictures, cool history, lots of coin stories. I will buy some more soon.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently was given the Bowers Morgan Dollar Red Book as a gift, and I've really enjoyed reading it. Dave combines history and current events for each year in addition to the coin specific information & statistics.

They are full of interesting information, and Dave Bowers is an extraordinary author. I highly recommend this new Red Book set!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I've read the California Gold Rush. Very interesting, but a very looong read also.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I've never met Mr. Bowers, but I like every book he ever authored. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I just listed "Commemorative Coins of the United States" written by him for the defense auctions. This book is large, and from glancing at it, looks like a well written book.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Like some others, I have most of the books Mr. Bowers has authored. They typically make great reading.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gold Rush book is one of my favorites. I like the way David Bowers combines history with numismatics.
  • Transline coin supply bought the entire remaining books of Bowers catalogue. Give them a call at 800-575-4007.
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read a number of books by Bowers. One of the most enjoyable to read is American Coin Treasures and Hoards. It's very broad, well researched and easy to read. I recommend it.
  • KriekKriek Posts: 1,044
    Bowers is exceptional; I would recommend any of his books.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I've read many, many books by QDB and every one was a pleasure. His writing style is simple and genuine. He tells great stories and retains an enthusiasm for all of this hobby that many of us remember from our youth. You can't go wrong.
    DSW
  • I've thoroughly enjoyed his Morgan Dollar Red Book as well as "Louis Eliasberg, King of Coins". The latter book is kinda tough to find, but last I looked david lawrence had them...
    Just received The History of United States Coinage (As Illustrated by the Garrett Collection). Another excellent book. I am having about as much fun getting and reading the books as I am getting the coins!
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Louis Eliasberg, King of Coins, is great as it tells the whole story and you get to see it unfold. There are press clippings, the old catalogs he purchased from, the notebooks from the Clapp collection (that contributed to about half of his holdings). After reading that book, I went back and bought the 3 Eliasberg auction catalogs so that I would have his full catalog of coins from the 1982 Gold and 1996-97 CNS & pattern auctions. It was a fun few months to read through it all.

Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
    I just received American Coin Treasures and Hoards (from board member allegri). It is also excellent. I am going to try to get them all.
    I recently received the California Gold Rush book as a gift (signed to me by Mr. Bowers). Wow! What a book! The problem is that it is so heavy, that I cannot read it in bed. I am afraid I will doze off and the book will break my nose. Great reading, interesting history, and excellent contemporary photos. It is not the type of book that one would typically read cover to cover, but I will enjoy small sections of it as time permits.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot go wrong with a book written by Bowers, period. I have yet to come across a book (or even booklet) written by him from which I did not learn something.

Can't afford all those books?

Join the ANA and check them out of the library via the mail . . . best value in numismatic literature.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file