Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is it bad to judge a seller by his country?

Do you think me terrible because I have judged a seller by his country and not buy their rating alone? This seller has some really nice Indian coins and gold fanams but because they are located in Singapore I am very much afraid to buy from them. I am wondering if I am just being daft but I've heard so many horror stories from folks who have bought coins from Singaporeimage

Ebay auction link

Comments

• Options
    I think you'll find that most of the people that rip off others on eBay are from the United States.

Maybe just stay away from eBay?

sorry ... I just feel a bit sarcastic today

(read too many posts about gold soverigns I guess)
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887
    I'd much rather judge him/her by his feedback - this one has 44 unique negs !!!

L
  • Options
    With the exception of forum member Singaporecoinguy, when I see Singapore as a seller's location I generally run, not walk, to the nearest exit. At least 2/3 of the auctions from Singapore that offer things I have a little knowledge about are obvious forgeries/counterfeits/fantasy piecesimage
    Roy

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Unfortunately, I have to admit to having had more problems with sellers in Singapore than anywhere else. I would suggest contacting Singaporecoinguy and asking him about this seller and who he would recommend as reputable (on eBay or off).
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Looking for me? I have no idea who this seller is, but he sure is profilic with 8729 positive and 62 negs (0.71%) over 12 months. Since he accepts Paypal, if there is a problem, you can reverse the payment within a month if the coin is not as described or a counterfeit.

I do know some of the counterfeit sellers on Ebay but I'm certainly not going to name them in a public forum. PM me if in doubt and I will try to assist if they are known to me. A few of the good guys are deenz, sunnylam and taneric.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887
    I've sold to sunnylam and I would certainly buy from him.

L
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Judge a seller by their feedback, not by the country they are from.
  • Options
    I've never bought from this seller but I check his listings time and again because he sometimes has coins from Danish India, aka Tranquebar. What I've noticed is that the descriptions of the coins are sometimes erroneous as to type and denomination - that may be the reason why he collected some negs.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    I've never bought from this seller but I check his listings time and again because he sometimes has coins from Danish India, aka Tranquebar. What I've noticed is that the descriptions of the coins are sometimes erroneous as to type and denomination - that may be the reason why he collected some negs.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00