Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The only coin I've picked up so far in Germany...

Yesterday I went to Stephan Sonntag's coin store in Stuttgart... some AMAZING and NEAT stuff in there. So much better than the crap Canadian coin shops I'm used to. So much great stuff... but I didn't want to spend too much so I bought this little Defeat of Napoleon zwei mark coin. I took the picture with the lamp in my hostel room... I had to improvize. The grade is fast Stempelglanz, litteral translation is almost stamp brilliance or something... I'm not sure what that is in north American terms, perhaps a choice uncirculated... looks too good to be an AU, mayyybe a high grade AU. It cost about €20.

Comments

• Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    That is a nice one! Does he have any Goetz Patterns?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Nice coin and picture. If you get a chance could you please get and post some castle pictures? image
    If you get some good ones I'll send you a piece of celtic wheel money when you get back.
  • Options
    Great coin, Darkhorse! The "coat of arms" image looks familiar --as on Mexican coins image

I think, Elverno will be glad to put that coin to his Napoleonic collection..
    N. N.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Very nice DH - Glad you can contact the forum from there. Stuttgart is a very interesting city.
    Shep
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Fast STGL is an AU-50 to AU-59 coin in German-speak. Notice the wide range. It may also be expressed as VZ-ST or VZ-Unz.

One listed as unz-stgl is simply and uncirculated coin but not necessarily choice (MS60 to MS63).

Generally, if a coin is described as stempelglanz, you can expect a coin grading from MS64 to MS67.

Smart dealers will know what they have and even though they may only grade two identical coins as fast STGL, one may be priced at say, €17 while the other is priced at €20. The same holds for purely stempelglanz coins, although three solid coins grading as STGL may in reality be MS64, MS65, & MS66 as viewed by an experienced collector or professional grader. The good news is that with the STGL grades (at least in my experience) there will be little difference , at all in pricing.

Jump to a really knock-out, eyepopper MS66 or MS67 coin and you'll see a difference, but maybe only 20-40% higher, not the usual 1000%+ as with the lightside. Note: these are general guidelines as to grades/pricing....nothing hard and fast.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Awesome image Funny thing is that was my first coin bought at a German store too image

Yeah, Sontag does have an awesome selection.. just too much stuff that I can't afford image (some overpriced I'd say) [Y'all can see their website here.] I usually wait out for something nice to show up at the other shop.

And what Mac said on the grading.. image
    Just for reference the other grades are schon (s,=F), sehr schon (ss,=vf), and vorzuglich (v or vz,=xf). Often you'll come across twenty different ways of saying vz. And like Mac said, vz-st is AU, that or fast stempelglanz. Depending on who you're dealing with the grades might be stricter than American, but not always. Plus, it's common for folks to finger their coins. In stores you usually wont find anything below ss for sale unless it's old or special somehow. Umm...

Oh yeah, cosmic, that dealer did have some silver Goetz medals a while back.. I don't recall him having the patterns though? Which ones are you still looking for, or is it just upgrades now?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Hey Darkhorse! Glad you're doing well, and have found the coin shops at least as fast as the Bierhalle....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice little coin DH and thanks for the link spoon.

Have you two met yet?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I have also come across German dealers who use vz-St. for AU-55+ and f.St for what we would call MS-60-62.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice little coin DH and thanks for the link spoon.

Have you two met yet? >>

We planned to meet each other but I got lost or something.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The only coin I've picked up so far in Germany...

OK, what about non-coins? image Glad to see you posting from there.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Yo, wassup, Darkhorse?

Was ist loss, Dunkelpferd?
    Obscurum per obscurius