Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Modern grades in- got me an eye popping 88-D Roosie in MS68FB!

Check out line #3
1972-D
10C
USA
MS66FB

1985-D
10C
USA
MS65FB

1988-D
10C
USA
MS68FB

1993-P
10C
USA
MS66

1994-P
10C
USA
MS67FB

1997-P
10C
USA
MS68

1997-D
10C
USA
MS67

1970-D
50C
USA
MS66

1974-D
$1
USA
MS65

1974-D
$1
USA
MS65

1974-S
S$1
Silver
USA
MS68

1976-D
$1
Type 1
USA
MS65

1976-D
$1
Type 1
USA
MS65

1976-D
$1
Type 1
USA
MS65

1977-D
$1
USA
MS66

$1
USA
MS66

1981-P
SBA$
USA
MS66

Date Received: 03/31/2004
"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
and they're cold.
I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
Mary

Best Franklin Website

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Looks like a bunch of nice coins. Is the dime PL? A lot of the high grade
    clad from that era are.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I am drooling on my keypad looking at that 88D ms68FB
    Dan
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Oooby Dooby!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Very Nice...Now how about some digipics?image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    WOW Thats a pretty nice score. The full bands have me dancing, when does the sale sign go up.

• << <i>WOW Thats a pretty nice score. The full bands have me dancing, when does the sale sign go up. >>

ditto. image This has great implications for you!!! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • O.K. In case you are a moron... $500 to a grand on this baby!!!!! I'll bid!! I'll bid!!!image
    O.K. In case you are a moron... $500 to a grand on this baby!!!!! I'll bid!! I'll bid!!!

WOW Finally something I can define myself by. image
  • I expect these coins to be arriving today. If they are as I remembered, I will have some ranting to do.
    Because if my memory is correct, one of those dimes NO WAY has fb's, and there is at least one that IS without question fb but did not get the designation. Like I said, I will know better when I actually am able to review the coins, but my preliminary thoughts are that all is not well in full-bandland!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

• << <i>I expect these coins to be arriving today. If they are as I remembered, I will have some ranting to do.
    Because if my memory is correct, one of those dimes NO WAY has fb's, and there is at least one that IS without question fb but did not get the designation. Like I said, I will know better when I actually am able to review the coins, but my preliminary thoughts are that all is not well in full-bandland! >>

Hope it's the exception and not the rule!image Actually, I have great faith in PCGS and fully expect an error in grading now and then. But I also realize that grading is subjective. Another thing I realize is that many collectors think they are expert graders. I personaly feel the PCGS graders have better skills than I but I'm unfortunately in the minority. I give ya $300 for the 88-D in 68FB sight unseen. Paypal or personal check. Rant all you want, I'll take the 88-D Roosie in MS68FB!!!!!!!image
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waldo, if I'm not mistaken, that 88-D MS68FB (1/0) would be bought sight-unseen by many people, and alot more then just $300. I my self would give 2x's that amount and still be outbid.

Bushmaster8, put it on ebay for $0.10 like Wondercoin and I will bid agressive!

Later, Paul

Later, Paul.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    Waldo- their ain't nuthin' wrong with the 88-D. They, obviously, got that one right!image

Stooge- I would never start an auction that low! $.10 indeed! (not that there's anything wrong with that, WC). I usually start my ebay auctions at the outrageously high sum of $.99.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a 92P MS68FB pop 3/0 on eBay right now and its sitting at $250. The 88D 68FB is now a pop 2/0.
    Once you pass a pop of 2 the buyers seem to dry up. I have many extras that I am sitting on until
    interest in the series picks up. Whats the 92P listed on eBay worth?, and where are the buyers?.

By the way, I have no ownership interest in the eBay 92P. I am the high bidder and will use the ending
    price to value Bushmasters 88D. Step up and show me what these are really worth.

Onlyroosies
    Cladking- I would say it is semi-PL. What sets it and most MS68 clad roosies apart is the almost high relief look. You know the look, I'm sure.

Now that I have the coins back in hand, I am happy to say that no ranting is required! I could have sworn that the 72-D had no bands, but my memory was in error . It does indeed have the bands, and could just as easily have been graded 67.

I am a bit surprised that the 93 did not get the designation though. It has nice deep split over 100% of the fasces, but was apparently disqualified by a tiny, tiny hit on the bands. I may resubmit that one.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Whats the 92P listed on eBay worth?, and where are the buyers?."

Nick - IMHO, it is worth a whole lot more than Datentype is going to ever get on ebay. Why?

1. It appears "deals" are often made between the buyers - along the lines of "you take this one and I'll take that one". I am not attacking that philosophy - just explaining why Mark really doesn't have a chance to maximize the dime's value on ebay.

2. Mark has already blocked a number of bidders from his auctions, for one reason or another - again, not questioning Mark's decision - just pointing out why the final price in his auction might be affected and not be the same as say a Heritage sale.

3. Mark has already told BOTH of us about the details of that particular dime. I know it has influenced my bidding.

4. A pop 90+ clad Roosie dime just traded on ebay at near $150. An example of what could happen in an auction where NO GAMES were played. image

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Don't get too worked up in a frenzy about the 88-d as i pulled my 6 best out of around 1,500 mint sets and believe i have one at the grader. On the other hand, if you want this coin before Christmas, get Bush8's - it's probably a primo coin and should be worth close to $2,000 due to the difficulty and costs involved. i do believe that the buy price will be more in line with $1,000-$1,500 but I do believe it should be worth more - maybe in the years to come. these dates come and go, get hit hard by collectors/Dealers and then dry up.

As far as the 92-p, there are no buyers for the coin and it is truely a phenomenal coin. I think Mitch has eluded to the reason he is not bidding it up is that it's a subpar 8FB but it is actually the equal of the other 2 I made - all of which are promi and went throught the express 4 day where 3-5 graders see the coins. It is every bit worth $1,000 but due to a thin market of about 2 will get less. Oh well!

• << <i>"Whats the 92P listed on eBay worth?, and where are the buyers?."

Nick - IMHO, it is worth a whole lot more than Datentype is going to ever get on ebay. Why?

1. It appears "deals" are often made between the buyers - along the lines of "you take this one and I'll take that one". I am not attacking that philosophy - just explaining why Mark really doesn't have a chance to maximize the dime's value on ebay.

2. Mark has already blocked a number of bidders from his auctions, for one reason or another - again, not questioning Mark's decision - just pointing out why the final price in his auction might be affected and not be the same as say a Heritage sale.

3. Mark has already told BOTH of us about the details of that particular dime. I know it has influenced my bidding.

4. A pop 90+ clad Roosie dime just traded on ebay at near $150. An example of what could happen in an auction where NO GAMES were played. image

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

I believe I own that coin! A bit of drunken bidding on my part. But hey, I bid drunk 100% of the time. I have NEVER made an agreement to let a Roosie slide and NEVER will. I always bid more than I think the coin is worth and am outbid quite a bit. The coin in question is I believe
    a 1998-D MS68FB. I had been buying Jeffs and bid Jeff prices on a Roosie. My mistake. Some moron bid 6 or 7 times in a row to bid me up. Either way I'd never bid those prices had I been sober. Just my thoughts...

RonWaldo the wine drinkin' fool
    I know what you mean...my wife won't let me near the puter when I've had too many!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    Wondercoin may have been speaking of the 99D ms68 FB that sold to A1nipper on ebay. Best I recall it sold for $148.71 I was bidding on that one, but got distracted toward the end of the auction. image
    Dan
    Great thread!!!

I guess it's just nice to see other people excited about some great rare coins.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Told ya I drink. That's me a1nipper! Just got the dates mixed up. Been buying way too many coins. I really don't care if I ever make any money on my coins or if I lose it all. My coin money is like my wine money, it's spent purly for fun.

• << <i>Wondercoin may have been speaking of the 99D ms68 FB that sold to A1nipper on ebay. Best I recall it sold for $148.71 I was bidding on that one, but got distracted toward the end of the auction. image >>

Hi Dan!

Been keepin' an eye on your purchases. You've been picking up some very nice Roosies! It is always a pleasure to bid against another Roosie lover!

Signed:
    Ron
    RonWaldo
    Waldo
    a1nipper
    Hi Ron, I still have my eye on your set too!!! I have some very nice surprises that I just added to my set
    Fred

Un-Registered # 5 Clad and # 7 Silver.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike/Nick,
    I do not do clads, but I'll bail each of you out at $25 per coin.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

• << <i>Hi Ron, I still have my eye on your set too!!! I have some very nice surprises that I just added to my set
    Fred

Un-Registered # 5 Clad and # 7 Silver. >>

Yikes! I'm #7 in silver!!! I guess I'll just have to take #6 from Larry Brown to keep my Mr. Pennsylvania title! Actually, I want to pass Larry for reasons all my own!!! Fred, go ahead and re-register your sets. I'll gladly hand over my title to a worthy opponent!!! image
  • Wow! This coin is now at Ebay 3914348951 and has already reached the reserve price!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

<< <i>Wow! This coin is now at Ebay 3914348951 and has already reached the reserve price! >>

Thanks for the heads up. 3914348951
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Waldo, if I'm not mistaken, that 88-D MS68FB (1/0) would be bought sight-unseen by many people, and alot more then just $300. I my self would give 2x's that amount and still be outbid.

Bushmaster8, put it on ebay for $0.10 like Wondercoin and I will bid agressive!

Later, Paul >>

This is my quote of course, and I was right, this coin is now going for $700.00, as it WILL go higher! I may bid on this coin, but it still has 9 days, which at this price it is possible it may go for $1,500-$2,000

We'll see,
    Paul.

Later, Paul.
    I have bought many coins from members of this board on ebay, and a few through one on one contact as a result of the board. Datentype has added more coins to my set through ebay than anyone. For this I thank him for his talent and hard work. Now as for the coins I buy, I rarely pay anywhere near what they are truly worth. This is not that I am trying to get something for nothing. Not that I think dealers are greedy and want more than I think they are worth. I am disabled and live on a Social Security check of $1287.00 per month. Of that amount $714. goes for a house payment, $150. a month for medications. I wont list my utilities, phone, and food as they vary from month to month. If I drop out of bidding when a coin passes a certain amount, it's not that I dont want to pay what it's worth. It's because I can't cut anymore corners to up my bid. I don't dispair when I lose out on a nice Roosie to a higher bidder. I accept the fact that I can only do so much and thats all that I can do. I know I should not even be into colecting coins. That I will never compete with most of you guys. But I love it and now that all my kids are grown, I don't feel I'm taking anything away from anyone but myself. If I spend more than I should, I just try to sell something to make it up. The point is, not everyone can go the big bids. Keep that in mind when wondering why a coin is not getting the high number of bidders you may expect. Also, I know as you do, its a fact that a lot of collectors still have no respect for clad coinage. Enough from me, I just thought I may owe some of you a reason why I drop out of bidding on some of the nicer grades.
    Dan
  • Keep collectin' Dan! Maybe Nick will send you something nice too! Do you have a silver or clad Roosie set registered?

Ron
    a1nipper
    Waldo
    RonWaldo

<< <i> I know I should not even be into colecting coins... I just thought I may owe some of you a reason why I drop out of bidding on some of the nicer grades. >>

Dan, there is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting on a budget! And you sure as heck don't owe anyone any explanations. We doan need no stinking explanations! But it's always good to hear from you!

Greg
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    Dan50, Yes do you have a registry set of clad or silver Roosies? I think I can keep the torch that Nick lit going?

Let me know!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
    Thanks guys for the encouragement, but the reason for my posting on this thread was not to seek free coins from others. It was to let some of the people that I have bought from know why I drop out of the bidding at a lower bid than some coins deserve. The super coins, as I refer to them, I will try to find myself. I have yet to submit my first coin, but I still comb through all the mint sets and rolls that I can find. I dont have a great eye for the grades yet, but I know I will improve as I continue to search. Also taking time out to go through my PCGS dimes to try and train my eyes to SEE the coins. See what makes them grade 66 67 68 and FB. I'm sure you have all been where I am in learning to do this.

Bushmaster, you are another seller that has made a lot of the coins in my set. I thank you for each and every one. Trashman, The Numish, and many coins bought from Rick who now sits in Nicks spot atop the clad Roosie throne. Thanks all.
    Dan
    Dan50: If you're looking through rolls and mint sets then you're probably finding lots
    of great coins whether you're a good grader or not. I've found nearly all of my coins
    like this. It doesn't matter to me what they grade so long as they are unimprovable.

...or at least nearly so.
    Tempus fugit.
    cladking I find a lot of coins that look like a file was raked across them. Any idea what coused this? image
    Dan
    I've seen a couple things that could be described like a file having been dragged across
    a coin. In the mint sets there are coins which appear to have parallel gouges across the
    rims. Usually these run across the diameter but sometimes they run toward the center.
    These are caused by the mint set sealing equipment. The light scrapes on the shield of
    the '80-D halfs were probably caused by the handling equipment which filled the mint sets.
    If you're referring to coins in rolls then they are likely coins which just happened to be sup-
    porting much of the burden in the hopper as the support under them gave way and they
    were forced into the sides or the plate at the bottom of the hopper. Sometimes you'll see
    coins which appeared to get caught in the machinery or that were apparently struck on a
    planchet which was polished in the machinery.

Circulated coins will sometimes be seen which probably were attacked with a file. Sometimes
    it is to make them fit or work in a vending machine.

Striations or deep scrapes are probably usually caused by being forced into metal while the
    coin is moving.

The mint has used lots of methods to transport and handle minted coins over the years but
    there are always mishaps and spills.
    Tempus fugit.
    Dan, I think I know just what you are describing. On the mint set clads, an otherwise gem coin will often show deep, shiny abrasions that are not bag marks, and are far to large to be called hairlines or even scratches. I often have pondered the cause of these but never really came up with a satisfactory explanation. Possibly they are abrasions on the planchet that were not obliterated by the strike. I think this because the "file -like" marks are always on the devices, never in the fields.

Cladking, I wish I had hi-res imaging capability to illustrate exactly the look. I know you have seen it a million times. Same abrasions appear on the quarters and halves too. They keep so many otherwise gem coins from scoring higher.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    You got it bushmaster. But seems they are found most often, and more severe on the dimes. But you are also right about the Kennedy shield. Seems to dig into the dimes worse than the half dollar. And you have to tilt it just so to the light to see them. Otherwise sometimes they are almost invisable. image
    Dan
    Also have seen many an IKE ruined by these scars.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

<< <i>You got it bushmaster. But seems they are found most often, and more severe on the dimes. But you are also right about the Kennedy shield. Seems to dig into the dimes worse than the half dollar. And you have to tilt it just so to the light to see them. Otherwise sometimes they are almost invisable. image >>

Extremely shallow scrapes will not be so apparent as deep heavy scrapes. You may have
    to tilt the coin more in order to see them. You can probably duplicate the marks you're see-
    ing by dragging the coin across a dull knife blade with a few ounces of pressure on it?

It's probably the mint set handling equipment.
    Tempus fugit.
    I found what at first looked to be a super nice 94P FB Roosie. I was thinking 68FB is a lock. Then the tell tell tilt showed a small scrape on Roosevelts hairline. BUMMER.. image
    Dan
  • Dan - You might want to submit that one anyway. I have seen plenty of clad roosies in 67 & 67fb slabs that DO have the aforementioned scrapes. Seems like PCGS does not reduce the grade nearly as much for these type of scrapes as they would for a bagmark or hairline.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Dan50- will you please turn on your private mail? by clicking on the "profile" link near the top of the page
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    Bushmaster I think I have it on now. image
    Dan