Home Q & A Forum
Options

Copper coins turning in the slab

David,

I have an 1888 MS64RD IHC that is toning in the holder and I believe that it no longer meets the standards for a grade of 'red' copper. The obverse has purple/red toning across most of the fields and the reverse is turning mostly brown. How do I need to handle getting the coin looked at?

As a follow on, does this happen very often to red copper in the slabs (I know that none of my other coppers have turned, I'm just curious if it happens very often)?

Thanks!!
Cecil
Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Cecil,

If your Indian Head looks like a lower grade or color to you you can submitt it thru guarantee resubmission and we'll take care of it financially under the terms of our grading guarantee. PCGS customer service can fill you in on the details.

This happens occasionally to copper coins. There is actually a theory that all copper coins eventually turn brown. However, since I have held a full red 1793 Wreath Cent in my hand I'm not so sure of the validity of this theory.

Thanks,

David