Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More about gold Jefferson

Finally got a pic. Is this a gold toned nickel or has it been colored with something? Earlier someone said it could be toned. I found it in change a few years back and thought it had been colored gold.

Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Gold plated???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    That's what I thought when I found it, but they were talking about toned Jeffersons and said they can naturally tone gold in color. That's why I posted the pic.......gold plated or naturally toned?
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    It looks almost too uniform to be from toning...

I'd say gold-plated. image
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I concur. Doesn't look like gold toning should on these; too metallic in appearance.

Rus, NCNE
  • Options
    That's what I thought.......thanks for the responses!

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    The yellow tint could be from just a bad picture.
  • Options

<< <i>The yellow tint could be from just a bad picture. >>

No, I assure you, that's the color of the coin.

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Look at the steps. It looks plated but maybe has been treated with some checmical.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Thats yellow anodizing. Check out a hot rod or two. Most people use a red or blue aeroquip hose connector. But you can get yellow (gold) anodizing that would account for the coins current state.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    CarlWohlforthCarlWohlforth Posts: 11,074
    If the color in the photo is accurate I'd tend to think it isn't plated with gold. Maybe meos1 figured it out? I can't really tell...
  • Options

<< <i>Thats yellow anodizing. Check out a hot rod or two. Most people use a red or blue aeroquip hose connector. But you can get yellow (gold) anodizing that would account for the coins current state.

Dan >>

OK.....now I'm confused again. What is anodizing?

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file